• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big 12 Expansion: It's Down to BYU, Houston, and Cincinnati

OUGuy1999

BOOMER..SOONERS!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LINK

So first thing i saw when i read this....
  • The league, now that the idea of a Big 12 Network is off the table, is no longer looking for schools that help with a TV footprint; They want competitive football and basketball schools that bring compelling match ups to the conference.
First i thought, no money equals poorly updated facilities, which equals no recruits. Second thought was, if these three teams are the only ones they can come up with for competitive ideas...we might as well pack our bags and say good night.

*PS...i don't take much into account with these articles, just found it interesting read.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That looks like competitive football.

UConn should be included if the B12 was serious about basketball at all.

OUGuy1999

BOOMER..SOONERS!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That looks like competitive football.

UConn should be included if the B12 was serious about basketball at all.

I have absolutely no problem with UConn, they would bring great BBall tradition and their Football team could definitely become competitive with the Big 12, plus it would be good for WVU having someone else in the region.

BYU would only bring some football competition, but thats it, and its regionally undesirable.

Houston although having some good years is just stupid on all fronts because its another Texas team and would water down the recruits even more.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have absolutely no problem with UConn, they would bring great BBall tradition and their Football team could definitely become competitive with the Big 12, plus it would be good for WVU having someone else in the region.

BYU would only bring some football competition, but thats it, and its regionally undesirable.

Houston although having some good years is just stupid on all fronts because its another Texas team and would water down the recruits even more.

Hey i get it, football makes the money for everyone, I just don't wanna be told basketball matters when THAT is the competition for the coveted spots.

I also still really believe in Diaco. he went to a bowl game without having a D1 QB on the roster.

I'm curious if their 3 star recruit from NY could be any good.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Diaco is a heck of a coach. He took Uconn to a bowl game in year 2. How the heck did that happen when they looked so bad his first year.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frankly we could do with LESS Texas teams in the conference. If we're adding Houston I'd prefer we drop Baylor or Tech.......or both. 4 Texas teams frankly is 2 too many.

The CORE problem with the conference is it's completely controlled financially by the STATE of Texas, not just UT. ALL the revenue is generated in this one state.......we HAVE to move away from that as a financial model.

We need to expand into Florida. I'd rather take a shot at UCF and USF, maybe add CSU......

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Diaco is a heck of a coach. He took Uconn to a bowl game in year 2. How the heck did that happen when they looked so bad his first year.

I think you answered your own question in your first sentence.

i'm glad they just gave him an extension. He's going to be the best coach they have for a while.

And yes, i do know he'll likely be gone in the next 3-4 years.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frankly we could do with LESS Texas teams in the conference. If we're adding Houston I'd prefer we drop Baylor or Tech.......or both. 4 Texas teams frankly is 2 too many.

The CORE problem with the conference is it's completely controlled financially by the STATE of Texas, not just UT. ALL the revenue is generated in this one state.......we HAVE to move away from that as a financial model.

We need to expand into Florida. I'd rather take a shot at UCF and USF, maybe add CSU......

UCF could be a sleeping giant.

Florida has ALOT of talent.

But it's not particularly close to UF, FSU or Miami.

And it's a HUGE school, just a massive enrollment already.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please stop with Cougar High already.
That is never going to happen.

We don't need to expand with the useless options being bounced around.
And we certainly don't need another freaking Texas school.

UT/TTU/TCU are already 100% in lockstep against any sort of expansion based on the table scraps left.
But, If Oklahoma State somehow forces a miracle concession by Texas/TCU/Tech, it wont be Houston.

The only schools that the "texas 3" wont block are big name ACC schools....or maybe Central Florida.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

UConn would be a GREAT basketball add but I can assure you WVU would want a FL team 10 times out of 10 over UConn or any other school north of the Mason Dixon if the conference is going to go east. That is one of our best recruiting areas and promising recruits a trip home every other year has helped us (and would other Big12 programs) in the past and likely would again if we were to add one from Florida.

Pariah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU has buoyed enough shitty Texas teams, no more plz.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brilliant plan just add all three plus UTEP....no seriously please do it.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Um they solid in BBall too. 11 season in a row with 20+ wins. 8 of 11 NCAA tourney bids 1 sweet 16.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Um they solid in BBall too. 11 season in a row with 20+ wins. 8 of 11 NCAA tourney bids 1 sweet 16.
Not an awful baseball team this past year either. To me not adding BYU would be dumb (if adding two teams is absolutely necessary).

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it doesn't care about tv footprint and wants to bring in competition, then Houston.

But texas won't because they are scared

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BYU seems like a no brainer, big school with a ton of fan support. Also competitive in football and basketball. After that it gets interesting. Only 2 schools should even be considered for that last spot, Colorado State and Cincy.

Cincy brings good football and basketball, gives West Virginia a travel partner, and gets the Big 12 into the Ohio recruiting market.

Colorado state is a big state school, with the ability to easily become THE state school of their state. Tons of Big 12 alum live in Colorado already, CSU would be picked knowing they won't compete right away, but could really grow into something good.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting news, BYU would be my choice.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LINK

So first thing i saw when i read this....
  • The league, now that the idea of a Big 12 Network is off the table, is no longer looking for schools that help with a TV footprint; They want competitive football and basketball schools that bring compelling match ups to the conference.
First i thought, no money equals poorly updated facilities, which equals no recruits. Second thought was, if these three teams are the only ones they can come up with for competitive ideas...we might as well pack our bags and say good night.

*PS...i don't take much into account with these articles, just found it interesting read.
The B12 needs to do something with TV because, currently, it's pumping a significant amount of money into conference with one. We're talking the amount of money to build a new major sports facility every single year.

You also have to be careful adding a team like Houston. They've had a few good years but all it might take is a coaching departure and they're back in the dumps. And not like Indiana dumps, like Eastern Michigan dumps.

If it were my choice, I'd say Cinci gives you a decent program in both football and basketball and also gives you a new recruiting region with a ton of eyes to watch those games.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The B12 needs to do something with TV because, currently, it's pumping a significant amount of money into conference with one. We're talking the amount of money to build a new major sports facility every single year.

You also have to be careful adding a team like Houston. They've had a few good years but all it might take is a coaching departure and they're back in the dumps. And not like Indiana dumps, like Eastern Michigan dumps.

If it were my choice, I'd say Cinci gives you a decent program in both football and basketball and also gives you a new recruiting region with a ton of eyes to watch those games.

Houston is 88-44 the last decade. And they've gone through 4 coaching changes within that time. Eastern Michigan has literally been the worst FBS program the last decade. There's no way a program like Houston would ever come close to that level of ineptitude. If they were invited to the Big 12, they would immediately be better than Kansas and ISU. I can see them being something like Tech has been, maybe even better.