• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best Rushing Defense Ever?

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suck my balls, bromcosmarty was not one of the names. Its a secret, bitch.

I read this and immediately think of this:

chopper-sick-balls.jpg

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does it feel good to finally come clean and make amends? Glad you are finally working on step 9.

It feels good, it really does. But, I think I might have to start over. Had to've skipped a step or five in there somewhere.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It feels good, it really does. But, I think I might have to start over. Had to've skipped a step or five in there somewhere.

I think starting over means you have to redo all your drinking again. Cheers

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to state what I'm seeing, even though it will get me labeled as the biggest kool-aid drinker of the bunch.

Ansah and Taylor are starting to figure out what's going on. When they do, this defense will start doing what it's designed to do. You can't run the ball, and you can't protect your QB. The kind of elite unit that propels a team to a championship. I'm not saying the Lions win the superbowl, but I'm saying they're becoming a top contender pretty quickly. And I'm saying it's the defense that propels them there.

It also doesn't hurt that this young OL is getting better as well.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to state what I'm seeing, even though it will get me labeled as the biggest kool-aid drinker of the bunch.

Ansah and Taylor are starting to figure out what's going on. When they do, this defense will start doing what it's designed to do. You can't run the ball, and you can't protect your QB. The kind of elite unit that propels a team to a championship. I'm not saying the Lions win the superbowl, but I'm saying they're becoming a top contender pretty quickly. And I'm saying it's the defense that propels them there.

It also doesn't hurt that this young OL is getting better as well.

Imagine how much better our defense could be next year if we can add a good CB in free agency? Slay still needs to grow some, but I think he'll be just fine. Mathis should be brought back next year, imo, as he's played fairly well this season. Bentley has looked much better this season; imo he'll do just fine as our nickel back for a long time. Green hasn't played on defense this year, but he was suprisingly decent last year, and will only get better with another season under his belt, so I'd have to think he returns. But Houston, he's the one who is suprising me this year, and not in a good way. Hopefully he gets his groove back, because he had been a good CB up until 4 or 5 games ago, then the wheels just fell off. I think we have to keep him and hope for the best, but I'd go hard after an established CB in free agency if any good ones hit the market. That or draft another one high in the draft and hope he can pick up the pro game faster than most rookie CBs do...

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
t also doesn't hurt that this young OL is getting better as well.
Oh man I've been excited all year to see this group start to gel. Even Waddle being "plugged in" has been a surprise. He's had some penalties calle don him, but I think he's done a solid job as well. Reiff, manning that LT spot has been very good. And what can one say about Warford? Beast? Animal? Mauler? All of em.

But Houston, he's the one who is suprising me this year, and not in a good way.
This is the main reason I was a bit upset to hear Slay is injured. Not that Slay has done all great things, but Houston has seemed to have regressed this year. He's been burnt on quite a few big plays this year. I actually got to watch him live against TB and he looked horrendous against Tiquan. Here's hoping our secondary steps up huge today. :hope:

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After 309 yards rushing by the Eagles today I think we can put this hypothetical to rest.

Greatest run D ever was the 89 to 91 Eagles. Reggie White DE, Jerome Brown DT, Mike Pitts/Mike Golic DT, Clyde Simmons DE all backed up by the 1990 defensive player of the year Seth Joiner. Jerome Brown was probably better then Reggie White at the time. Clyde Simmons is an unknown all time great. He currently is in 15th place in the all time sack leaders and not to far behind Lawrence Taylor.

I think this unit was the last team to go #1 vs the pass and the run.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After 309 yards rushing by the Eagles today I think we can put this hypothetical to rest.

Greatest run D ever was the 89 to 91 Eagles. Reggie White DE, Jerome Brown DT, Mike Pitts/Mike Golic DT, Clyde Simmons DE all backed up by the 1990 defensive player of the year Seth Joiner. Jerome Brown was probably better then Reggie White at the time. Clyde Simmons is an unknown all time great. He currently is in 15th place in the all time sack leaders and not to far behind Lawrence Taylor.

I think this unit was the last team to go #1 vs the pass and the run.

I don't think anyone here really believed the Lions have the best Run D in history. But yesterday was an anomaly. The only thing that really surprised me was that the Philly run game had so much trouble in the first half and their receivers had so much trouble getting open. An offensive runner, ball carrier or WR runninmg a route, has a big advantage in those conditions.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not so sure it was us playing so well in the first half. Seemed more like Kelly's play calling was too pussified for them to get anything going early. Once they opened up the play book, they moved the ball well. Our defense wore out as well. Not getting any traction will do that, especially if you are out there the whole game. Our offense was nonexistet the whole game although more so in the second half.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow this thread was entertaining....then philly ran up and down the field......and the arguing stopped...

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lions to me look to be a .500 team. In a relatively weak division.

I guess thats what I thought they were at the beginning of the season. After they won a couple and looked to be a 10-11 win team my expectations changed. But like most things they settle to their mean average.

Detroit is about a .500 team and when compared to last seasons 6 win team that is improvement. Not the type we were hoping for but if Detroit got off to a 1-6 start and had gotten to 7-6 are expectations would be different.

Detroit has some nice pieces. Stafford, CJ, Suh, Ansah, Fairley, and a rookie crew that is better than anything we have seen in years! They now need some discipline. Going forward I would think Schwartz would realize this as his days could be numbered if Detroit keeps making the stupid mistakes.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They are a CB or two away from being a great defense IMO..

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the main reason I was a bit upset to hear Slay is injured. Not that Slay has done all great things, but Houston has seemed to have regressed this year. He's been burnt on quite a few big plays this year. I actually got to watch him live against TB and he looked horrendous against Tiquan. Here's hoping our secondary steps up huge today. :hope:

I've mostly like Houston thoughout his career in the D. I've stood up for him countless time. But even I am losing faith. Houston looked like a decent starting corner last year, but this year he is playing horrific.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lions to me look to be a .500 team. In a relatively weak division.

I guess thats what I thought they were at the beginning of the season. After they won a couple and looked to be a 10-11 win team my expectations changed. But like most things they settle to their mean average.

Detroit is about a .500 team and when compared to last seasons 6 win team that is improvement. Not the type we were hoping for but if Detroit got off to a 1-6 start and had gotten to 7-6 are expectations would be different.

Detroit has some nice pieces. Stafford, CJ, Suh, Ansah, Fairley, and a rookie crew that is better than anything we have seen in years! They now need some discipline. Going forward I would think Schwartz would realize this as his days could be numbered if Detroit keeps making the stupid mistakes.

Dude I said this before the eagles game and got mildly scolded and chastised. Watch what you say on here, although I do enjoy a good scolding as much as the next chap.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to say it, but Tulloch may be the worst coverage LB I have ever seen. Besides being completely invisible most of the time, even when he is in position to make a play the ball goes right through his hands for a completion.

I know he makes tons of tackles, but is that really enough in todays pass happy NFL.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just so we are clear. Virtually noone agrees with me. And there are only a couple people I have told to kiss my ass. Zwic and Meow come to mind.

As for the STFU, I think I have told one person at least recently to shut the fuck up and that person who I hadn't seen through most of a game or before the game and only showed up when the Lions were down 14-0 so they could say SEE SEE A BAD TEAM. or some crap like that. Just because a team falls behind in a game, or even losses a game it doesn't make them a bad team. So that person whoever he may be COUGH GVSU COUGH who decided to call the Lions a bad team for falling behind in a game deserved to be told to shut the fuck up. That person seemed soooo happy that he'd been calling the Lions a bad team and suddenly he thought he was right. I stand behind telling him to shut the fuck up.

Im happy the lions are an improved squad from the previous season. There is plenty still wrong with this team though. Not everyone cough cough kreton can just turn their back on the multitude of issues the lions have had this season nor should they be reprimanded because they have a different view of how the lions are doing this season. It was great to see them waste the packers two weeks ago and I expressed that, just like it sucks to see them play like shit on a consistent basis which I also express.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im happy the lions are an improved squad from the previous season. There is plenty still wrong with this team though. Not everyone cough cough kreton can just turn their back on the multitude of issues the lions have had this season nor should they be reprimanded because they have a different view of how the lions are doing this season. It was great to see them waste the packers two weeks ago and I expressed that, just like it sucks to see them play like shit on a consistent basis which I also express.

I said before this year this team lacked CB's OT and LB's.....i give levy credit this year....hes stepped up....houston i been saying for a long time is a decent 2 CB.....they they need either a stud CB or 2 decent CB's....2 LB's would be nice.....im OK with the line....waddle has stepped up....warford is a beast....but its starting to look like i was right about jason fox....wonder if next year WILL BE his year...

Stud CB
2 decent LB's
A number 2 WR
A new coach

Then we will be taken serious.....and may i say it......contenders...but im sure they will once again ignore the CB situation and talk about how we drafted and are developing 3 CB's from a few years ago....if that ever happens...well i guess bentley?

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stud CB
2 decent LB's
A number 2 WR
A new coach

Then we will be taken serious.....and may i say it......contenders...but im sure they will once again ignore the CB situation and talk about how we drafted and are developing 3 CB's from a few years ago....if that ever happens...well i guess bentley?

I think they need 1 LB and 2 CBs.. Levy has been great, not that I expect him to play at this level next year, but I think getting a stud LB on the other side of Tulloch will suffice for that unit.. The Lions need two CBs imo, Mathis has been decent but is old.. Houston, well I think we just need to go young with that unit now and get some new blood in..

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are a CB or two away from being a great defense IMO..

As well as a LB and maybe a DE. But they are definitely much improved. Much of that goes to levy coming ou of nowhere and turning into a stud, and the rest goes to ziggy suh and fairley.