• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best Rushing Defense Ever?

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone knows that's not the problem.....It's the secondary.......Show me a MLive article about how dominant they are.....

Even the Raiders can conjure up a article about Janakowski to pretend the team is really that good.

This is the Kool Aid people talk about.....It was Flynn....Not Manning or Brady.........I'm happy as all hell for the win, but again it was Flynn.....

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Discount the win all you want. Another notch in the W column.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Discount the win all you want. Another notch in the W column.

Would have it felt better if it was Rogers? I know in my head it would......If you think otherwise, thats the kool aid....

That wasnt the same Packers team of the past and everyone knows it.

I'm happy that we kicked there ass.......40-10.....That's convincing......I'm afraid if Rogers played it would have been 23-20. and not sure who would have won.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But we're not talking about the secondary in this thread. Why can't we speak positively about something our team is doing well? Why must you continue to focus, or want to focus, on shit the team doesn't do well?

I think our D needs some recognition for the way they've stopped the run pretty consistently this year. A lot is asked of that front four. And they help out those linebackers tremendously by taking up so many of the blockers making it necessary for our LBs to move in for tackles. And those d-linemen also still make huge tackles in the backfield.

I for one am glad to see the great play on run defense.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They adjusted the wide 9 a bit. We fill every gap now with LBs and Safeties. It leaves us vulnerable over the top as CBs are sometimes left without safety help.

Still, I prefer this to last years wide 9 where we got gashed by the same stupid run plays game after game. If we had shut down corners, we would have the best defense in the league.

Loving the 4-2-5 approach to it. Just need better corner play.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They adjusted the wide 9 a bit. We fill every gap now with LBs and Safeties. It leaves us vulnerable over the top as CBs are sometimes left without safety help.

Still, I prefer this to last years wide 9 where we got gashed by the same stupid run plays game after game. If we had shut down corners, we would have the best defense in the league.

We also have the DEs(bigger and taller) needed to run the type of defense we run. Well, according to Schwartz and Gunther. I'd say they may be right.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best Lions run D I can recall. They got gashed a couple of times early as the article mentions, but I've come to expect that teams aren't going to be able to run on us. It's certainly a novel feeling. In fact the LOS has been pretty stout on both sides of the ball. That's definitely a first and the most promising aspect of the team going forward.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

With the horrid lack of depth at linebacker, so do I. I believe there was a game earlier in the season where Ashley Palmer played one snap. No other linebacker, aside from Levy and Tully saw the field, on d. That's crazyness. But that's what Guns is working with. A GREAT set of DTs. (And solid reserves)Two LBs who are playing at a high level all around. Aggressive DEnds, who are either very raw, very old, or Willie Young. Delmas and Quin. And a bunch of inconsistent corners. (For various reasons, some understandable and acceptable reasons)Im very happy with the way our TWO linebackers and our crew of DTs have played. Our ends are much improved over last season as a whole. (Cliff Avril still sucks.). It's just those corners. I have my stance on blitzing and others have theirs, but if the coverage could be improved, even slightly, this defense could be very formidable.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone knows that's not the problem.....It's the secondary.......Show me a MLive article about how dominant they are.....

Even the Raiders can conjure up a article about Janakowski to pretend the team is really that good.

This is the Kool Aid people talk about.....It was Flynn....Not Manning or Brady.........I'm happy as all hell for the win, but again it was Flynn.....

Mkay. Guess you didn't bother to read the article- it was about the last 8 games, not the last 1 game. Why is it that talking about how good our run defense is is a "kool aid" thing? Are we not allowed to discuss the fact that we have the most dominant run defense in the league? Just because our secondary sucks we have to ignore what our front 6 have done against the run? Fuck that noise.

Clearly we're not "the" best run defense ever, but if we finish the last four games like we've played the last eight we'll have turned in one of the best statistical run defense efforts ever. That's significant, no matter how much the secondary does or does not suck.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I started Eddie Lacy over DeMarco Murray this week. Lions Run D didn't appreciate my lack of faith.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the horrid lack of depth at linebacker, so do I. I believe there was a game earlier in the season where Ashley Palmer played one snap. No other linebacker, aside from Levy and Tully saw the field, on d. That's crazyness. But that's what Guns is working with.
You're looking at us being in the nickel the majority of the time as a result of us not having good enough LBs, but the reality is that its simply a result of the opposing offenses going to more 3 WR sets than they did 10 years ago. It's a match-up thing, and not novel to us in the least. The nickel back has edged out the 3rd LB in 4-3 defenses in recent years as far as playing time goes.

So I guess in reality a lot of teams are running a 4-2-5 nowadays...

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trust me guys, I want to believe badly......

What's GB's Rushing attack ranked? I have no idea but they don't strike fear in my heart of running the ball.....

Why isn't anyone commenting on Ross? That Joker went off in the game....

He had 70 yards on kick returns and 46 yards on punt returns. The punt-return yardage could have been even more, but a 60-yard punt return in the fourth quarter was nullified by a penalty on Jonte Green.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're looking at us being in the nickel the majority of the time as a result of us not having good enough LBs, but the reality is that its simply a result of the opposing offenses going to more 3 WR sets than they did 10 years ago. It's a match-up thing, and not novel to us in the least. The nickel back has edged out the 3rd LB in 4-3 defenses in recent years as far as playing time goes.

So I guess in reality a lot of teams are running a 4-2-5 nowadays...

If Ashley Palmer or Rocky McIntosch (or any linebacker outside of Levy really) could be trusted to handle a tight end on a regular basis I don't think we'd be in nickle quite so much. But I completely agree with you on the nature of the game. It's definitely shifted defenses into much higher percentages of nickle and dime coverage.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trust me guys, I want to believe badly......

What's GB's Rushing attack ranked? I have no idea but they don't strike fear in my heart of running the ball.....

He had 70 yards on kick returns and 46 yards on punt returns. The punt-return yardage could have been even more, but a 60-yard punt return in the fourth quarter was nullified by a penalty on Jonte Green.

Yeah, Ross was great, but.... Aaron Rodgers didn't play, so I wasn't that impressed. :whistle:

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seventh. They're ranked seventh, so what does that do for your theory here?

Ross had a huge day; my favorite play of the game was him putting A.J. Hawk on his face in the backfield without ever touching him. That penalty on Jonte was totally bogus, the defender was pulling him down as they went to the ground.

My question is who do we sign in favor of Spurlock? That DE we just cut seemed to be a decent fill-in while he was here. Maybe someone from the practice squad? How about Kickalicious? Developing him would be more valuable than keeping Spurlock on at this point. Seven guys have to be inactive each week anyhow, and we're really healthy across the board right now, so we could legitimately afford to stash a kicker right now. That way if Akers keeps fucking up we'd have an in-house replacement all lined up...

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mkay. Guess you didn't bother to read the article- it was about the last 8 games, not the last 1 game. Why is it that talking about how good our run defense is is a "kool aid" thing? Are we not allowed to discuss the fact that we have the most dominant run defense in the league? Just because our secondary sucks we have to ignore what our front 6 have done against the run? Fuck that noise.

Clearly we're not "the" best run defense ever, but if we finish the last four games like we've played the last eight we'll have turned in one of the best statistical run defense efforts ever. That's significant, no matter how much the secondary does or does not suck.

I don't care if were #1 in rush defense if were #32 in pass defense....That should tell you something....Teams just throw on us instead of running.

7-5 though is better then I can remember in a long time....I'll take it, but don't sugar coat it.....Hell we just turned into the NFC East.....No one is afraid of the Cowboys, Giants' Eagles, or Redskins either.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take it, but don't sugar coat it
Who's "sugar coating" anything here? We're simply discussing what a very good job our run D has been doing. Well, everyone but you that is. How typical.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I started Eddie Lacy over DeMarco Murray this week. Lions Run D didn't appreciate my lack of faith.

I doubt anyone is shocked by your inaccurate assessments at this point. For someone who claims to "Watch Games" you apparently didn't watch the last 10 where no RB ran for more than 50 yards against us.:doh:

Hopefully you did it just have some counter mojo (your bad luck) working in our favor