• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Bengals vs. Ravens Week 1

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only watched parts. And I shut it off for good after we failed to get points midway through the 3rd quarter. A few observations from what I saw:

1) I think it's pretty clear that the offensive line is terrible and anyone that was fooling themselves that they would come around is probably feeling a little silly this morning. Yes, the Ravens D is a top 10 bunch, but our line was badly overmatched.

2) Ken Zampese is a significant drop-off compared to Gruden and Jackson. I gave him the benefit of the doubt last year because it was his first year and we never had our full unit. Any competent o-coordinator would die to have Green, Eifert, Bernard, and Mixon at his disposal - Not to mention Boyd and LaFell who are both servicable particularly as 5th and 6th options.

3) The team has no leadership and is likely to implode. Players aren't stupid - They know that Marvin is coaching in his last year and they aren't exactly playing like they care. The new 'leaders' of this team are Green and Dalton - And both guys run pretty hot and cold. Not exactly a steadying force.

4) As was the case last year, without Burfict the defense is ordinary at best. And the erosion of talent along the defensive line is catching up.

5) Dre and Jackson are good corners. Dennard is horrible. He needs to go.

1.) The OL was bad, but a few of those pressures/sacks came on TE/RB missed assignment/blocks. Watching some of the reviews posted, there is one play specifically where the DE/OLB came across the TE, inside and both the TE and Gio looked outside where there was no one, and the guy blew past both of them for the sack. With the line already struggling, you can't have that at all.

2.) Agreed. He needs to figure out what he wants to do, and go with it. He also has to just pick a RB and go. Someone is going to be unhappy, but you can't get any of those guys into a rhythm by going, 3 snaps, 2 snaps, 4 snaps, etc...and rotating them around. They should run with Mixon, Gio on 3rd down, and Hill can be your short yardage/Goalline guy. That should mean roughly 20-25 touches for Mixon, about 10-12 for Gio, and 5-7 for Hill. Sucks, but that's how it goes, and how it needs to go. It will also allow the offense to spread things out more with Gio and Mixon as both can catch. Spreading the defense out will allow the OL to better protect Dalton as it will keep the defense from putting 8-9-10 in the box.

3.) Speaking of 8-9-10 in the box, there were plays yesterday (again on review) where a run was called, and the defense had 9 in the box and nearly 7 or 8 guys within 5 yards of the LOS. Dalton never checked out of the play. If you are going to be a leader, then you have to have the confidence, and wherewithal, to check out of those plays. They ran it, and of course the RB was shut down at the LOS. Wasted play, and wasted opportunity to check into a pass play with 1-1 coverage on the outside.

4.) Defense missed VB, but it did well. Bend but don't break. CB's still need to get better, and the return of Jones will help (hopefully), but also the offense has to sustain drives. Even Atkins was huffin' and puffin' out there in the 4th qtr. Seemed like those guys were on the field a ton with very little rest.

5.) Maybe Dennard can play Safety? LOL

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a striking contrast watching Cedric block Suggs after all of those years of Whitworth owning him. I'm not sure Suggs ever got a sack against Whit. I still don't understand why we think Ced is going to be any good. He gave up a shitload of sacks as a college player. He seems like a Reinard Wilson type of draft pick - A guy you love for his athelticism, but its not really translating to the field.

I agree about all the guys in the box..... But I think this is probably the book on the Bengals right now. Dalton is terrific if he is allowed to get the snap and throw within the first second or two. After losing Hue Jackson and Marvin Jones, teams knew we aren't creative or fast enough to beat all those guys crowding the line and passing lanes. They desperately need to hit a deep pass to someone other than AJ Green. Maybe Ross can fill that role - But it's going to take him some time given he can't stay healthy and practice.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a striking contrast watching Cedric block Suggs after all of those years of Whitworth owning him. I'm not sure Suggs ever got a sack against Whit. I still don't understand why we think Ced is going to be any good. He gave up a shitload of sacks as a college player. He seems like a Reinard Wilson type of draft pick - A guy you love for his athelticism, but its not really translating to the field.

I agree about all the guys in the box..... But I think this is probably the book on the Bengals right now. Dalton is terrific if he is allowed to get the snap and throw within the first second or two. After losing Hue Jackson and Marvin Jones, teams knew we aren't creative or fast enough to beat all those guys crowding the line and passing lanes. They desperately need to hit a deep pass to someone other than AJ Green. Maybe Ross can fill that role - But it's going to take him some time given he can't stay healthy and practice.

Core had his guy beat twice deep for TD's if Dalton didn't over throw and under throw him. Core ran right past his defender on both instances. Core is our next Chris Henry.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Core had his guy beat twice deep for TD's if Dalton didn't over throw and under throw him. Core ran right past his defender on both instances. Core is our next Chris Henry.

Wake me up when he and Dalton connect on one.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That was ugly. Glad it's a Thursday game this week. They win that one and everything is fine.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys remember when Tits Mcgee was going to be a guard?

Glad that worked out.

I think we win this week - But the joy will be short lived. Green Bay should blow our doors off.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, the Bengals (and Dalton) usually play disappointingly bad when they are on primetime.

they did beat a banged up Denver team a few years ago though.

so there's always hope... I guess.

ok not really.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and so much for hoping John Ross could run a few deep routes to keep the Ravens honest.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and so much for hoping John Ross could run a few deep routes to keep the Ravens honest.
Wouldn't have mattered.

Core was open twice, and Dalton missed him. Any other obvious audible situation, he would have simply kept as a run with 10 in the box.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two highest graded starting OL were Cedric and Fisher, per PFF.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's interesting. So we're basically saying the stinkfest was just one of those Andy games?

Lets see how they hold up on Thursday. If they make it out of that game with strong grades, the rest of the year is gravy. I mean, do they play tougher defenses than the first two games?

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Highest graded on "our" team of the 5 lineman, right? Because if you mean league, then I think PFF just discredited themselves. Dalton stunk, straight up, but he did have pressure all day long from the edges, from the interior and Fisher had like 3 holding penalties.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry...yes...on OUR team.

It was still sub-par, to say the least.

It's kind of like a silver lining, though, right? I mean, the two guys we were worried about the most weren't the worst! Order the frickin' rings! Ha!

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am sorry, no silver lining in this message. It just says that our offensive line is even worse than could have been expected.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry...yes...on OUR team.

It was still sub-par, to say the least.

It's kind of like a silver lining, though, right? I mean, the two guys we were worried about the most weren't the worst! Order the frickin' rings! Ha!

It says in that article that Cedric was the lowest rated of our lineman that played 60 snaps.

There really isn't any other way to put it - We wasted two top picks on tackles and you really have to question if either one of them is a starter in this league. This is year 3.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It says in that article that Cedric was the lowest rated of our lineman that played 60 snaps.

There really isn't any other way to put it - We wasted two top picks on tackles and you really have to question if either one of them is a starter in this league. This is year 3.
Odd.

I saw a tweet earlier that had him and Fisher as the highest rated of the starters on our team.

I'll have to go back and see if I can find that.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, I'm not losing my mind.

Per a tweet from John Fay, the PFF grades as of yesterday were:

Ced 42.4
Boling 38.7
Bodine 36.2
Hopkins 32.4
Fisher 46.7

All are poor, but I new I wasn't losing my mind....wonder where he got his info at?

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His data are wrong. PFF has Ced with a 36.7. That's below Dalton's grade!

I'm not even sure what we are arguing about. We're splitting hairs about failing grades!