• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Ravens vs. Bengals

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had this one as a Ravens win when the schedule came out. Big time revenge factor and a team that did a nice job defending us late in the season. Couple those factors with our team's slow start and Burrow's rust and it doesn't look great. But look at the Ravens injuries here. If Andrews doesn't go, you could make an argument that they are missing 4 players that are in their top 10 or top 15 players on the roster. And missing two offensive linemen in a new offense on the road on week 2 is definitely not an enviable position to be in.

I think the bet here is to take the under and look for a rock fight. I'll take the Bengals moneyline but would not give the points.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we should be ok if The main guy plays up to his contract

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's still early.
it's still early.
it's still early.
it's still early.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well well well, one of the refs tried to take a Charlie Jones TD away

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would appear that the Ravens OL is pretty deep. We haven't really pressured the QB yet.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the ravens just ran the same play 3 times in a row and completed.

come on man...

need to put some pressure on the qb

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ravens pretty much came to play, bengals looked like they were still on vacay

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There will be a lot of talk about Burrow's calf, the slow start of the offense, etc..... But, I can't get my head around how bad the D looked today. The last two seasons they have been amazing at limiting scoring in the second half. Today they gave up 17 points and couldn't get off the field when it counted. And it's not because Bates and Bell are gone - The line got completely dominated.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team is toast. They are NOT the same bunch from the last two seasons.

If Joe misses time. It’s gonna get ugly. And j expect the team to turn toxic. Especially the WRs. They’ve talked a lot of trash. And haven’t backed it up. Zac has a lot of work to do to refocus these guys.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team is toast. They are NOT the same bunch from the last two seasons.

If Joe misses time. It’s gonna get ugly. And j expect the team to turn toxic. Especially the WRs. They’ve talked a lot of trash. And haven’t backed it up. Zac has a lot of work to do to refocus these guys.

I'm starting to wonder if Chase can catch anything other than a screen pass.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm starting to wonder if Chase can catch anything other than a screen pass.
Well, it's not clear that Joe can throw the ball more than 20 yards at this point. So, I suppose it's a good fit.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The offense got a bit better in the 2nd half...they actually used the middle of the field, but the lack of route flexibility from Chase (either by design or playcalling) is brutal. He's a guy that would THRIVE in space over the middle. They keep just using him for sideline go, out, and screens...no creativity.

Burrow missing pre-season is clearly an issue, but the reality is...no one would have ever played anyway...so I'm not so sure that this wouldn't have still been an issue.

Bottom line on offense is - there is no cohesivness due to a lack of playing together and/or getting actual reps leading up to the season AND because Taylor cannot call a competent game. I'm going to say this until it changes in some fashion (I am going to speak this into existence) Taylor is a fine HC. He flat out sucks at offense. He needs to hire a real OC and get out of the way.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One other thing of note...there is a lack of tackling currently and that is surprising under Lou. A lot of hitting...but no actual tackling. Scott found out the hard way when he tried to "hit" Andrews and about knocked himself unconscious.

Hit the legs, wrap up. Watching backup OL push/bully this front was sad to watch. No reason that should be happening to a unit that has a lot of front 7 cohesion over the past 3+ years.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The offense got a bit better in the 2nd half...they actually used the middle of the field, but the lack of route flexibility from Chase (either by design or playcalling) is brutal. He's a guy that would THRIVE in space over the middle. They keep just using him for sideline go, out, and screens...no creativity.

Burrow missing pre-season is clearly an issue, but the reality is...no one would have ever played anyway...so I'm not so sure that this wouldn't have still been an issue.

Bottom line on offense is - there is no cohesivness due to a lack of playing together and/or getting actual reps leading up to the season AND because Taylor cannot call a competent game. I'm going to say this until it changes in some fashion (I am going to speak this into existence) Taylor is a fine HC. He flat out sucks at offense. He needs to hire a real OC and get out of the way.
The offense feels very limited at this point. I know that last year they scrapped a lot of the under center stuff when it became apparent that we never passed out of that formation. But this year, they don't run it at all. I've heard some folks speculate that Burrow's calf is not allowing them to do anything from under center. There refusal to be multiple in formations and personnel groups is also causing issues.... Seems the only Bengal response to the D is to throw a flair to the running back or throw underneath to the TE and hope for broken tackles. There are no crossers to Chase and nothing that comes out of motion for him. Yes, they look better when Burrow starts hitting the middle of the field, but that's only there when the line holds up. As good as the Ravens are on D, they are not the best team for applying pressure. So, even that feels like fools gold at the moment.

Regardless - Clearly something is wrong. Burrow is either too injured to play or the offense is broken and needs a fix. I assume both of those things can be true because as I pointed out in the preseason, you should be able to run SOME offense with a back-up QB. And I've never seen it from the Bengals. It feels like they are limiting themselves.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One other thing of note...there is a lack of tackling currently and that is surprising under Lou. A lot of hitting...but no actual tackling. Scott found out the hard way when he tried to "hit" Andrews and about knocked himself unconscious.

Hit the legs, wrap up. Watching backup OL push/bully this front was sad to watch. No reason that should be happening to a unit that has a lot of front 7 cohesion over the past 3+ years.
It's happened before.... The D was shredded by Mike White and the Jets because they couldn't tackle. But, they got their shit back together and moved on.

What concerns me is how much they struggled in obvious running situations yesterday. That shouldn't happen when this D is healthy. I also think we need to be concerned that our pass-rush consists of Hendrickson and prayers that Ossai is healthy. Nothing else is working.

My last concern is Hilton. I think he has quietly lost a step. And if he can't be effective covering slot receivers, he becomes a liability in the slot role even if he does provide excellent run support and leadership.

I don't see any issues with Dax Hill - He looks pretty good to me. Guards tight ends on key passing downs, tackles well, etc. Something is off but I don't think it can be pinned on the new starters.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's happened before.... The D was shredded by Mike White and the Jets because they couldn't tackle. But, they got their shit back together and moved on.

What concerns me is how much they struggled in obvious running situations yesterday. That shouldn't happen when this D is healthy. I also think we need to be concerned that our pass-rush consists of Hendrickson and prayers that Ossai is healthy. Nothing else is working.

My last concern is Hilton. I think he has quietly lost a step. And if he can't be effective covering slot receivers, he becomes a liability in the slot role even if he does provide excellent run support and leadership.

I don't see any issues with Dax Hill - He looks pretty good to me. Guards tight ends on key passing downs, tackles well, etc. Something is off but I don't think it can be pinned on the new starters.
Agreed on Hilton. Think there needs to be a bit more rotation. It's not helping that Awuzie is also still working his way back from missin most of last year.

I think Lou is going to have to get more multiple with his pressure. Hubbard and Hendrickson are expected to carry a large load of the pressure, and teams have adjusted. That likely means more of Hilton, Wilson, and Pratt (or the safeties) coming on blitzes...but then that leads to the aforementioned issue with coverage...you leave those guys on an island and don't get home...that's going to be an issue.

Not sure how this defense with Wilson, Pratt, Reader, Hubbard...etc....can't get stops in obvious running situations. Some of it is likely assignment related. I know twice Hubbard ran right by the ball carrier who was moving outside...he was so sure the ball was going up the middle, he never saw the guy running by him and that lost containment. Easy 5-6-7 yards once you get out there.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I will say about the defense...they've been on the field A TON....the offense is going 3-out on 46% of their possessions...that's nearly half. I mean, the fact that they've only given up 24 and 27 pts is pretty amazing when you consider the amount of time, and lack of field possession, they've been faced with.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My question is, Chase has more speed than Jefferson does, how is Jefferson getting open so much when everyone and their brother knows the Vikings are throwing to him 10+ times a game? They have got to look at the Vikings routes for Jefferson and try to make some adjustments to their game plan to implement similar routes/protections.

I think Burrow is playing a little scared right now, and it shows with the look of his body language, a real sense of urgency to get rid of the ball so he doesn't get hit. I think overall the offense looked a lot better, but once again, preseason game 3 upcoming this week against the Rams. Once preseason game 3 is over, I fully expect them to start playing better if Burrow isn't injured too badly.

If he is, I think we can do alright with Jake Browning. He will be no good Joe Burrow, but I think he can manage with this much talent around him still if they can block for him and push the ball down the field a bit for 10-15 yard throws. Browning will not throw near as good of an out route as Burrow, so we are going to have to play over the middle more. Keep the routes in front of Browning and make sure he has a better vision over the field.