• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

BCS just exploded

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Craig James can suck a fat one. He's on that BCS countdown show spewing nonsense about how Arkansas should be rated #3 because they lost to LSU and Bama. Hello, they got absolutely destroyed in those two games and have almost lost to Texas A&M, Ole Miss, and Vanderbilt. On what planet do they deserve to be any higher than 5th?

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Craig James can suck a fat one. He's on that BCS countdown show spewing nonsense about how Arkansas should be rated #3 because they lost to LSU and Bama. Hello, they got absolutely destroyed in those two games and have almost lost to Texas A&M, Ole Miss, and Vanderbilt. On what planet do they deserve to be any higher than 5th?

they only beat 2 teams with a winning record (south carolina and auburn). they lost 2 games big time to the top 2 teams, they had their shot and they lost. they definitely don't deserve to be anywhere besides where they are or lower.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
stanford jumps us in the bcs. we are #5, stanford #4, and by a fairly large margin

Seen that coming, without an undefeated season VT stands little to no chance @ an NCg appearance. We really need the rest of the league to step it up, IMO if we were playing a #3-4 clemson next wk (we would be 6) i think the winner of that game would have a real shot.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure we get a shot by going undefeated. Clemson would be out of the top 25, we wouldn't have any marquee wins. Nothing could break up the SEC lovefest.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sad scenario but we would get a better BCS bowl opponent by losing to Clemson in the ACCCG. We would get an at-large bid because our fan base travels so well and have a strong TV following. I still want the ACC championship though.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Sad scenario but we would get a better BCS bowl opponent by losing to Clemson in the ACCCG. We would get an at-large bid because our fan base travels so well and have a strong TV following. I still want the ACC championship though.

would be nice but i just dont see us getting an at large, Too many other teams to compete with for it. Michigan, Stanford, Houston, etc, and remember the SEC will be taking 3 BCS spots this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
would be nice but i just dont see us getting an at large, Too many other teams to compete with for it. Michigan, Stanford, Houston, etc, and remember the SEC will be taking 3 BCS spots this year.

Agree, There is really no chance at this if things play out the way we think they will (barring Houston losing to Southern Miss.). Stanford has pretty well assured itself a spot as long as they stay in the BCS top 4 (this automatically assures them an at-large) as well as Houston (top 10-15 BCS non AQ rule) so really it only leaves one spot open for a "true" at large selection..and that will likely be Michigan (unless UGA upsets LSU)..I don't think the Sugar Bowl has to take an SEC team unless it wants to (due to LSU winning the conference, tentatively). Me thinks they would take another team vs. an Arkansas team that just got taken behind the woodshed (soon to be UGA)..

Last edited by a moderator:

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Unless Georgia wins, I don't think it is possible for the SEC to get a third team. The BCS is complicated, but I think that a league can't get 3 teams unless two non-champions meet in the ship.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Unless Georgia wins, I don't think it is possible for the SEC to get a third team. The BCS is complicated, but I think that a league can't get 3 teams unless two non-champions meet in the ship.

Which could very well happen. ESPN is already saying that even if LSU loses, they'll still be in the MNC. It's amazing how hard they are pushing for this rematch.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone know for sure, 100% without a doubt and can provide proof one way or another if a conference can in any way have 3 teams in the BCS bowls? I have heard both ways that LSU/Bama rematch allows a 3rd and I have heard the guys on BCS countdown say there is no way for Arkansas to get a bid because of LSU/Bama.

The reason I ask is IF Georgia beats LSU, Georgia gets an auto bid and would then only leave 1 opening for another SEC team in the NCG if only 2 teams are allowed. That would free up OSU/Stanford/VT as the other opponent for the NCG

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually found a ruling. Seems SEC could have 3 teams if UGA wins.

At-large Eligibility
If there are fewer than 10 automatic qualifiers, then the bowls will select at-large participants to fill the remaining berths. An at-large team is any Football Bowl Subdivision team that is bowl-eligible and meets the following requirements:

* A. Has won at least nine regular-season games, and
* B. Is among the top 14 teams in the final BCS Standings.

No more than two teams from a conference may be selected, regardless of whether they are automatic qualifiers or at-large selections, unless two non-champions from the same conference are ranked No. 1 and No. 2 in the final BCS Standings.

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fun fact. If LSU loses to Georgia, and OK State hops Bama in the polls (after beating Oklahoma), Bama would not get a BCS bowl bid.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good link/read. Interesting. I think (like many of you) that if we are going to use this system going forward, in some way, shape, or form, that it has to be improved on. There are way too many discrepancies in the computers, human polls, and the way it is all handled. I don't doubt at all that some of it is greatly influenced by the powers that be, and that (conspiracy theory here) it could be even rigged up a bit. I like what this writer said in regards to incorporating back the "margin of victory" with a 21-pt cap. You could get so many extra points/fractional points for wins greater than 7 pts., 10, 14, 21, etc. That would at least keep some people happy in a sense that there is actually still some "sportsmanship" in college football, which IMO is laughable anyway.