• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

BCS just exploded

Lee_grazie

GO TERPS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will put this on the record rite now... If VA Tech wins out the rest of the way expect the media and cpu to give the hokies the go ahead over Bama... for the simple fact that bama will not be champions of the SEC hell they won't even be champions of the SEC West if LSU - Ark goes as expected (LSU winning) the only two times that I can recall teams making it to the NCG and not winning there conference are Nebraska 01-02 Nebraska was routed in the national title game, 37–14 by Miami and 03-04 when Oklahoma got the go ahead over a USC team that was ranked either #1 or 2 in the human polls Oklahoma went on to lose there game to... Fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me fool me three times dammit this is getting ridiculous....

As I said with two upsets don't expect Alabama to stay 2nd in those polls if Ok st beats Oklahoma or if VA Tech remains unbeaten.... teams that don't win there conference don't belong in the big game thats why we have conferencess and thatts why we have at large bids in the BCS... Cowboys or Hokies in the NCG

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said with two upsets don't expect Alabama to stay 2nd in those polls if Ok st beats Oklahoma or if VA Tech remains unbeaten
.... teams that don't win there conference don't belong in the big game thats why we have conferencess and thatts why we have at large bids in the BCS... Cowboys or Hokies in the NCG

Not sure exactly what you are saying here Grazie??..As much as I hate to disagree with you, If there are not at least two teams from the SEC with two losses (Arkansas AND 'BAMA). VT has ZERO shot of playing in the NCG. OK St?? Maybe if they beat Oklahoma (preferably handily). VT needs for 'Bama, Arkansas AND Ok. St. to lose in the next couple weeks, maybe even Stanford too. VT is not looked to be in the same class as these teams, and frankly they shouldn't be based on the strength of schedule and lack of style points. It pains me to say that. The ONLY way they could sneak in above these teams is IF (big IF) they beat the living hell out of UVA AND Clemson (I'm talking 25-30 points) and even then not sure if they would get the nod given Clemson's collapse this weekend.

i dont get why oklahoma state is above us.. i'm with everyone else, i dont think we're as good as some of the other teams at the top, but in terms of 'deserving' i think VT deserves to be #4.. how do you lose to an unranked team and drop 2 spots? alabama lost to the #1 team in the country and dropped 2 spots.. a loss to #1 vs. a loss to an unranked team shows no difference?

i call shenanigans on that one.

While I agree with you Awaz (and others) to a degree, the ACC and VT has done this to themselves. The lack of BIG time wins in recent years (many of those by our own club vs. Boise, Stanford, 'Bama, USC, LSU, UGA etc.) and the lack of consistently strong ACC programs in the NC picture (VT has held up to their end of the deal, the U and FSU have not) has clouded their perception of the strength of the ACC. I think we are probably one of the (if not THE) strongest conferences top to bottom but most voters don't look at that. The only way we can change that and be sitting at #2 as a 1 loss team in this situation is if we (ACC as a whole) start winning some primetime, high profile games and have a very good record in bowl games. The ACC had done neither in the last 5 years.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Clemson win over USC-e and VT winning out could give us a decent boost in the computer rankings. I just hope if we dont get the NCG bid we dont get stuck with the Big Least champ in the orange bowl. I would rather play a good team.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Clemson win over USC-e and VT winning out could give us a decent boost in the computer rankings. I just hope if we dont get the NCG bid we dont get stuck with the Big Least champ in the orange bowl. I would rather play a good team.

I'm afraid that's exactly what would happen. The Big East is the only conference with no affiliation to a BCS game, but the BE champion is assured of a spot in one of these bowls. The Orange Bowl is last in the pecking order and if VT wins out (but doesn't go to the NC), and South Florida loses to Louisville next weekend then our opponent would be..(brace yourself for this) a 7-5 Louisville Cardinal team...

Sounds exciting huh..

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm afraid that's exactly what would happen. The Big East is the only conference with no affiliation to a BCS game, but the BE champion is assured of a spot in one of these bowls. The Orange Bowl is last in the pecking order and if VT wins out (but doesn't go to the NC), and South Florida loses to Louisville next weekend then our opponent would be..(brace yourself for this) a 7-5 Louisville Cardinal team...

Sounds exciting huh..

Allow me to retort..I am wrong. If the season ended TODAY Louisville would be our opponent I believe. Upon further evaluation the Big East representative at this point in the season could be almost anyone (Cinci, UCONN, Rutgers, Louisville, WVU or Pitt to be exact). It is a total clusterfuck right now and there are way too many scenarios to talk about. FWIW Most early bowl projections are counting WVU into the Orange Bowl with VT. I think most of us would agree that the only Big East opponent VT would play that would make us happy would be WVU or maybe Pitt, none of the others appeal to me..AT ALL.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
FWIW I hope if we do win out but dont make the natty (which i still give us only about a 1%chance) i hope WVU wins the big easy. I actually like play WVU as long as a trip to morganhole isnt part of the equation.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree with you Awaz (and others) to a degree, the ACC and VT has done this to themselves. The lack of BIG time wins in recent years (many of those by our own club vs. Boise, Stanford, 'Bama, USC, LSU, UGA etc.) and the lack of consistently strong ACC programs in the NC picture (VT has held up to their end of the deal, the U and FSU have not) has clouded their perception of the strength of the ACC. I think we are probably one of the (if not THE) strongest conferences top to bottom but most voters don't look at that. The only way we can change that and be sitting at #2 as a 1 loss team in this situation is if we (ACC as a whole) start winning some primetime, high profile games and have a very good record in bowl games. The ACC had done neither in the last 5 years.

oh ya, dont get me wrong, based on VT's credentials (and talent level) i dont think they should go.. my glasses aren't that tinted maroon and orange.. i'm just saying that others dont deserve to be higher than us.. really just OK St.. the glaring piece of both resume's is the loss, and a loss to clemson is MUCH 'stronger' than a loss to iowa state.. and for as long as i've been following college football, i have never seen a loss to an unranked team, this late in the season, effect a team so little.. even with oregon, okla, and clemson losing, they should still fall 3-4 spots.. IMO stanford should be ahead of them as well.. its the nature of the beast.. losses drop you in the polls, a loss late in the season hurts more because you dont have time to recover.. that's how it's always been.. i think its BS that that standard has apparently changed when it comes to OKST this season..

IMO, if they avoid a rematch or a team that didn't win their conference, VT should be in (if the season ended today).. not necessarily because they're the 2nd best team, but because other teams didn't do what they had to

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I still have a boner following our blasting of UVA tonight, it looks like our .5% chance at the BCS NCG is all but gone. That's OK, I don't think any of us really expected to end up there. As much as I love the team we have this year, I'm not sure that we (or anyone else) could play with 'Bama or LSU. Hopefully the rematch will be a little bit more exciting than the first one.

What is NOT OK however is the fact that the ACC is once again blowing its (and ours) chances at getting a little national respect..
A solid UGA beat a very good GT 31-17
A 2-6 SEC record Vandy (yeah, they beat Miss and UK) beat the hell outta WF 41-7 (C'mon man!)
Clemson is currently down 10-0 to USC-e
FSU is currently beating UF 14-0

Until these teams start winning these games on a consistent basis (same goes for VT) including bowl games,, a 1 loss ACC team will NEVER be in a NCG over a 1 loss Big 12, PAC12, or Big10 team. Period.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, it would help if we ourselves would actually beat national level OOC opponents. Teams like USC and Ohio St have made it in despite playing in a shit conference because they have a reputation. If we'd beat an Alabama, LSU, or Stanford, we'd get more of a benefit of the doubt

Which is why if we make it to the Orange Bowl, I'm hoping for a quality opponent and not some shit Big East school

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure we will get stuck with the BE champ this year. I would love to get an at large opponent

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, it would help if we ourselves would actually beat national level OOC opponents. Teams like USC and Ohio St have made it in despite playing in a shit conference because they have a reputation. If we'd beat an Alabama, LSU, or Stanford, we'd get more of a benefit of the doubt

Which is why if we make it to the Orange Bowl, I'm hoping for a quality opponent and not some shit Big East school

Sure we would, we have chances in the next 4-5 years with 'Bama, Wisconsin, and Ohio ST. on the schedules so we need to make the best of these opportunities. These teams you mentioned win the big games and have National Championships, so they have earned it.

IF we make it to the Orange Bowl we WILL be playing the Big East champion, hopefully WVU.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sure we would, we have chances in the next 4-5 years with 'Bama, Wisconsin, and Ohio ST. on the schedules so we need to make the best of these opportunities. These teams you mentioned win the big games and have National Championships, so they have earned it.

IF we make it to the Orange Bowl we WILL be playing the Big East champion, hopefully WVU.

If WVU is the champion, I think they get picked for the Sugar Bowl and the Orange Bowl get's Houston. Any other Big East team probably get's picked for the Orange Bowl.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather play WVU than Houston

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Me2

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If WVU is the champion, I think they get picked for the Sugar Bowl and the Orange Bowl get's Houston. Any other Big East team probably get's picked for the Orange Bowl.

Good point, that is very possible but they would take UH IMO. They will likely pick Arkansas first since LSU and Bama plays for the NC. Arkansas vs. Houston would be an interesting matchup, UH undefeated, two high flying offenses, old SWC foes, plus with the proximity I think Houston may travel there better than WVU. We shall see in another week.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I dont think Arky will get a BCS. Isnt there a 2 team per conf rule??? Maybe that doesnt apply here IDK.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I dont think Arky will get a BCS. Isnt there a 2 team per conf rule??? Maybe that doesnt apply here IDK.

If two teams from the same conference play in the championship game, then a third team can be picked, but I don't know if Arkansas would be picked. I think a team like Michigan would be picked ahead of them.

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

that should still apply. my bowl predictions

NC: Lsu v Alabama
Rose: Oregon v Wisconsin
Sugar: Michigan v Houston
Orange: Virginia Tech v Big East champ
Fiesta: Oklahoma v Stanford

really wish we could get a good team.

MidnightMarauder54

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Iowa St upset Okie St. Now 9 of the top 10 teams have 1 loss. Obviously, some will drop out but we could be looking at 4 to 5 teams all with a legit case for a NC appearance. I so hope this happens. Anything that moves us closer to a playoff is good.

When you lose a game, you do not have a legit case for a NC appearance...

Real champions don't lose

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that should still apply. my bowl predictions

NC: Lsu v Alabama
Rose: Oregon v Wisconsin
Sugar: Michigan v Houston
Orange: Virginia Tech v Big East champ
Fiesta: Oklahoma v Stanford

really wish we could get a good team.

I really wish they'd get rid of the Big East champ. Kills the bowl.