• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

As a player, should Pete Rose still be in the Hall of Fame?

Should Pete Rose be in the Hall of Fame as a player?

• I don't think Pete Rose had a Hall of Fame career to begin with.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Lazer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
K guys here is my Pete Rose story. Near around 1990 I was living in Tampa and I went to breakfast before a job interview. A few tables down was Pete. I said to the waitress "that Pete Rose"(!), and she said "he's always here, I think he's an asshole".

At some point Pete looked REAL hard at me (stared). It felt to me as if he wanted to me, like he wanted to exit his existence entirely and be someone else (me). I felt horrible, his life was a misery. This bad feeling stuck with me for quite a while. I overheard him say to someone at the table with him that they'd never let him in the HOF at some point BTW.

Look Pete would not have bet against the Reds. Guys like McGuire, Sosa and Bonds CHEATED the game! They put their names next to the Babe FFS. Pete got the most hits straight up. Without him, the HOF's legitimacy is compromised, not Pete's.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People who think Rose wouldn't throw a game for $$$$ never watched him gamble.

He is a POS and should be enshrined to the hall (in the POS wing) the day after he dies. Hopefully his peers that weren't gambling assholes will line up to piss on his bust after the ceremony at Cooperstown.

I agree Rex. :agree:

Given all the lies Pete told about his gambling, I don't believe him when he claims he never bet on the Reds to lose. I just can't believe him now when he lied so much!!!

Lazer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Given all the lies Pete told about his gambling, I don't believe him when he claims he never bet on the Reds to lose. I just can't believe him now when he lied so much!!!

OK what evidence is there that he'd throw a game exactly?

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
K guys here is my Pete Rose story. Near around 1990 I was living in Tampa and I went to breakfast before a job interview. A few tables down was Pete. I said to the waitress "that Pete Rose"(!), and she said "he's always here, I think he's an asshole".

At some point Pete looked REAL hard at me (stared). It felt to me as if he wanted to me, like he wanted to exit his existence entirely and be someone else (me). I felt horrible, his life was a misery. This bad feeling stuck with me for quite a while. I overheard him say to someone at the table with him that they'd never let him in the HOF at some point BTW.

Look Pete would not have bet against the Reds. Guys like McGuire, Sosa and Bonds CHEATED the game! They put their names next to the Babe FFS. Pete got the most hits straight up. Without him, the HOF's legitimacy is compromised, not Pete's.

I've heard all the stories (like the quote when he thought his plane was going down, etc.) and it's fairly obvious that Pete's entire identity is wrapped up in his hits stats. He sure blew it because he could be living quite a life.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People who think Rose wouldn't throw a game for $$$$ never watched him gamble.

He is a POS and should be enshrined to the hall (in the POS wing) the day after he dies. Hopefully his peers that weren't gambling assholes will line up to piss on his bust after the ceremony at Cooperstown.

Agreed.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rose is a proven liar and a gambling degenerate. He willingly signed his lifetime ban so the details of the Dowd report wouldn't come to light. Gambling can damage the game worse than steroids or PEDS ever could.

They don't call the rule against betting on bball "The Golden Rule" for nothing.

Fuck Pete Rose.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rose is a proven liar and a gambling degenerate. He willingly signed his lifetime ban so the details of the Dowd report wouldn't come to light. Gambling can damage the game worse than steroids or PEDS ever could.

They don't call the rule against betting on bball "The Golden Rule" for nothing.

Fuck Pete Rose.

Exactly...if he truly had nothing else to hide, why'd he want the investigation ended immediately to the point where he'd sign away his eligibility? His reputation was already damaged, so my initial guess is that there was probably more damaging things that was yet to come out.

Dowd subsequently stated that he had leads showing that Rose did bet against his team and his team was working on verifying them, but when Rose agreed to be banned, the investigation came to halt.

Lazer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll never know because Pete agreed to a lifetime ban to stop the investigation.

OK he agreed to stop the investigation to just get a penalty he knew he would get anyway, so what was the downside for Pete, and what about him throwing a game was proven?

Pete was turned on by those he owed money to correct?
If he was willing to 'play ball', this would not have occurred correct?

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's so easy to join the "let him in" crowd til you start finding out about this guy's character, or lack thereof. He makes it pretty hard to defend him.

Lazer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fuck Pete Rose.

Well if he did NOT change the outcome of a games like the steroid dogs did the logic eludes me as to how it could be worse TBH; moreover, (all)please answer the questions I posed above which seems to show that no games were fixed.

Hey keyboard warrior tell us about your life work. What have you done in your life that's more important than getting the most hits in the history of MLB. Is that your issue? What kind of work do you do?

Is legend bashing cool with the mods here?

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fuck Pete Rose.

Well if he did NOT change the outcome of a games like the steroid dogs did the logic eludes me as to how it could be worse TBH; moreover, (all)please answer the questions I posed above which seems to show that no games were fixed.

Hey keyboard warrior tell us about your life work. What have you done in your life that's more important than getting the most hits in the history of MLB. Is that your issue? What kind of work do you do?

Is legend bashing cool with the mods here?[/QUOTE]

I am not at all surprised the logic would elude you.

What Rose did is the Mortal Sin of baseball. He knew the risks, yet his urge to gamble outweighed those risks for him. He then lied about it for 20 years until he thought he might be able to get into the HOF. Rose's word simply cannot be trusted.

I agree that Steroids are bad and it could be argued the damage to the game is similar. I will concede that, but until recently, players knew the penalties weren't that significant. Rose knew the consequences if he got caught (its posted in every clubhouse ). Everyone had an opportunity to take Roids and many of those that did are rich because of it..

Rose was in a unique position to manipulate his lineups, pitching staff, in-game decisions to better his chance at winning his bets. All these things can impact the team and certainly the health of pitchers. Taking Rose at his word that he only bet on his team to win is questionable at best. He is a proven liar. He could easily manipulate all the above to help the team "lose" as well. Bet on it...What would come first, the health of your team and its players or the money you’d stand to make?

Or how about a pitcher who is gassed that the manager asked just a little bit more out of because he needed the money and that pitcher blew out his arm or shoulder, completely altering his career?

Rose has said his gambling had no affect on the way he managed, but again this is the same person who claimed he “never bet on baseball" for almost 20 years and lied to all of his loyal fans.

BTW, how do we know Pete didn't bet on baseball while he was a player? His word?:laugh3:
He committed the one offense that could destroy the game. Steroids can’t do that, no amount of cheating could. By betting on the game, whether to win or lose, rips it of its integrity, its competitiveness and its enjoyability for fans. There is a reason Landis did what he did to the Black Sox. It had to be done.

Rose got what he deserved and my vocation or character has nothing to do with it.

Fuck Pete Rose and Fuck you.

Lazer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes there Mondo Jay your mental capacity is the issue firstly clearly. Pete did have the power you speak of without exception! Given that data and these questions:

"Pete was turned on by those he owed money to correct?
If he was willing to "play ball', this would not have occurred correct?"

It then becomes simple to connect the dots, except for you I guess. Steroids changed the games, Pete could have done and got off scott free but did not. Your just too fuckin stupid a loser boy for life I guess to appreciate that.

Is Walmart hiring? How about mickey D's?

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is legend bashing cool with the mods here?

Oh no! Strictly prohibited. Absolutely no legend bashing allowed. That's something we just don't fuck around on. Legend bashing I mean.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes there Mondo Jay your mental capacity is the issue firstly clearly. Pete did have the power you speak of without exception! Given that data and these questions:

"Pete was turned on by those he owed money to correct?
If he was willing to "play ball', this would not have occurred correct?"

It then becomes simple to connect the dots, except for you I guess. Steroids changed the games, Pete could have done and got off scott free but did not. Your just too fuckin stupid a loser boy for life I guess to appreciate that.

Is Walmart hiring? How about mickey D's?

I see English isn't your first language. Go hang from Pete's nuts and let the adults talk.

Lazer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pete could have fixed games to pay off any debt but he owed yet the gamblers turned on him. Why do you that that is exactly? You think shutting TFU help your argument here?

Steroids changed the games, Pete did not

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pete could have fixed games to pay off any debt but he owed yet the gamblers turned on him. Why do you that that is exactly? You think shutting TFU help your argument here?

Steroids changed the games, Pete did not

tumblr_lxtrioIljK1qj097p.jpg