• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

As a player, should Pete Rose still be in the Hall of Fame?

Should Pete Rose be in the Hall of Fame as a player?

• I don't think Pete Rose had a Hall of Fame career to begin with.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't know how he bet. He says he never bet against his team, but he also said for years that he didn't bet at all. In any case, there's one rule posted in every clubhouse: No gambling. He knew that and did it anyway.

Even if you believe he never bet against his team, he didn't bet every game. If he managed games differently that he had money on and blew out the bullpen or made decisions that impacted the team on days that he didn't bet, he changed the course of games for his own personal gain. He was a great player, but he broke the cardinal rule in baseball and should not ever get to go into the HOF during his lifetime.

I've seem this argument somewhere before....

DISAGREE??? LET'S THROWDOWN!

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The link Dragon posted actually provides an interesting stat....

Jackson hit .250 with one run scored and no RBI in the four thrown games, while batting .500 with four runs and six RBI in the other four. In each of the first two games, both of which were thrown, Jackson allowed a two-out, two-run triple to left field.

In consecutive games the other team got 2-out, 2-run triple on balls hit to his zone?

That might have a little to do with the people hitting around him no? He had 3 hits in game two and in the 2nd inning he lead off with a double only to be left on base by his teammates. Score at the time was 0 - 0 Takes a lot of talent to hit .500 in the games that weren't fixed and .250 in the ones that were.

Were the balls hit right at him and he botched the play or maybe were they laced into the gap or down the line? Is there evidence he jogged after the ball? The triples mean nothing unless it was proven he wasn't trying.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The baseball hall of fame is a bigger joke than espn's first take.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That might have a little to do with the people hitting around him no? He had 3 hits in game two and in the 2nd inning he lead off with a double only to be left on base by his teammates. Score at the time was 0 - 0 Takes a lot of talent to hit .500 in the games that weren't fixed and .250 in the ones that were.

Were the balls hit right at him and he botched the play or maybe were they laced into the gap or down the line? Is there evidence he jogged after the ball? The triples mean nothing unless it was proven he wasn't trying.

So the 75% of the time in those games he didn't get a hit, it was on his teammates? Come on, now...

The Reds hit 3 triples that series to left, including those mentioned earlier in games 1 & 2. For what it's worth, Dickier Kerr said the following about the Sox' outfield defense:

White Sox pitcher Dickie Kerr, who won twice in the Series, later commented, "Our outfielders fielded base hits slow, allowing the Reds to take extra bases. And, there were times when the fielders played the Reds just opposite of what they were supposed to do. In that way they left gaps for the ball to fall safely."

https://espn.go.com/classic/s/2001/0730/1232950.html

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the 75% of the time in those games he didn't get a hit, it was on his teammates? Come on, now...

The Reds hit 3 triples that series to left, including those mentioned earlier in games 1 & 2. For what it's worth, Dickier Kerr said the following about the Sox' outfield defense:

White Sox pitcher Dickie Kerr, who won twice in the Series, later commented, "Our outfielders fielded base hits slow, allowing the Reds to take extra bases. And, there were times when the fielders played the Reds just opposite of what they were supposed to do. In that way they left gaps for the ball to fall safely."

https://espn.go.com/classic/s/2001/0730/1232950.html

You did mention runs scored and RBI's no? It's not like .250 is 1 for 20.

Did he mention Joe by name?

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay so everything points to him not giving it his all in the fix games, phuck I still think he's one of the best hitters of all time and when that much money is thrown at you at a time when baseball was much different its hard to walk away from it.

He should still be in the HOF!

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay so everything points to him not giving it his all in the fix games, phuck I still think he's one of the best hitters of all time and when that much money is thrown at you at a time when baseball was much different its hard to walk away from it.

He should still be in the HOF!

As a playa..IN..as a manager OUT..deal wif it

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't know how he bet. He says he never bet against his team, but he also said for years that he didn't bet at all. In any case, there's one rule posted in every clubhouse: No gambling. He knew that and did it anyway.

Even if you believe he never bet against his team, he didn't bet every game. If he managed games differently that he had money on and blew out the bullpen or made decisions that impacted the team on days that he didn't bet, he changed the course of games for his own personal gain. He was a great player, but he broke the cardinal rule in baseball and should not ever get to go into the HOF during his lifetime.

This sums it up nicely. :agree:

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who gives a phuck he kept the money, everyone else was, you would have given it back and ratted your teammates out? Bullshit! Five Thousand dollars back then was a lot of money! He did nothing in the series to help throw it and actually did everything he could to win, the people who gave him the money should be pissed not Kennesaw Mountain Landis or you or anyone else.

Not to at some point? Look what he did in the series and tell me you can tell when that "some point" was!

I can't say what I would have done, but I think that keeping the money is tacitly accepting the consequences of doing so.

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,768.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he should definitely be let in. im sure everyone bets on games these days. he just got caught

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,768.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bud Selig says Pete Rose could have role in 2015 All Star Game

Bud Selig says Pete Rose might have a role at next year's All-Star Game in Cincinnati despite his lifetime ban from baseball.

Rose generally is not allowed in any areas of major league ballparks not open to fans. However, he was allowed to participate in baseball's All-Century team ceremony at Atlanta's Turner Field during the 1999 World Series and was permitted to be on the field at Great American Ballpark in 2010 for a ceremony commemorating the 25th anniversary of his record-setting 4,192nd hit.

The Reds will host the 2015 All-Star Game on July 14, and commissioner Bud Selig left open the possibility that Rose could play a part.

"That will be up to the Cincinnati club, and they know what they can do and can't do," Selig said. "It's sort of been subjective. But they've done some things with Pete, but they've been very, very thoughtful and limited. But that's a subject that I'm sure they'll discuss in the next year."

Source: Real GM

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suspect that Selig will pardon Rose at the end of his term. When he was asked on Mike and Mike on Monday, he did not come out and say he would not. I think it's time to let Pete back in baseball.

Sid Mead

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how chicken shit is that they won't let this guy in the Hall of Fame?

Sorry that you feel that way, but Pete has to get in line behind the player with the third highest career batting average (.356). Perhaps you've heard of Joseph Jefferson Jackson who went by the nickname "Shoeless Joe". If Joe doesn't get an invite then Pete can just fugetaboutit.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I absolutely think he should. On Fannation, this was an unpopular opinion, but I just don't see how you can keep one of the best of all time out of the HOF for betting on his team to win as a coach. And if anything keeping him out of the Hall brings more attention to the scandal than if they just let him in.

And while we're on it, Shoeless Joe Jackson should be in, and Hank Williams should be reinstated to the Grand Ole Opry, either that, or take his statue down.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how chicken shit is that they won't let this guy in the Hall of Fame?
How dense do you have to be to know that breaking the "one" sacrosanct rule in MLB since the Black Sox scandal gets you the lifetime boot?

I'm saddened that so many youngsters give him a pass on his douchbaggery.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% yes!!

So he gambled on some games...who gives a fuck, im positive MANY have before and since him!!
You're positive? Any of them get caught?

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody who thinks Rose ever threw a game, obviously didn't watch him play.
People who think Rose wouldn't throw a game for $$$$ never watched him gamble.

He is a POS and should be enshrined to the hall (in the POS wing) the day after he dies. Hopefully his peers that weren't gambling assholes will line up to piss on his bust after the ceremony at Cooperstown.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How dense do you have to be to know that breaking the "one" sacrosanct rule in MLB since the Black Sox scandal gets you the lifetime boot?

I'm saddened that so many youngsters give him a pass on his douchbaggery.
My bad.

*To not know*