• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

As a player, should Pete Rose still be in the Hall of Fame?

Should Pete Rose be in the Hall of Fame as a player?

• I don't think Pete Rose had a Hall of Fame career to begin with.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
where to start ? 1st off MLB has nothing to do with the HoF. They are separate and independent of one another. Getting his suspension lifted does not guarantee him entry to the Hall...
never said a thing about getting his suspension lifted, nor did i say anything about "guaranteeing" anybody anything.

thanks for repeating what i said about MLB/HOF.

reading comprehension is a skill.

in the future, start with that.

Loneranger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
never said a thing about getting his suspension lifted, nor did i say anything about "guaranteeing" anybody anything.

thanks for repeating what i said about MLB/HOF.

reading comprehension is a skill.

in the future, start with that.

instead lets start w/your own words shall we?

MLB makes a mockery of itself by not putting the person who set them into its own hall of fame.
what part of this don't you get when you claim MLB has their own" HoF ? try again son and try a little harder

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I'm in for him in the Hall of Fame, because there is nothing worse than censorship.

No way his ban should ever be lifted, even when he is dead, and it's just symbolic.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He blew it. Everyone in baseball knows the consequences of betting on baseball when you're involved in MLB. HOF's a joke anyway. Just an over-glorified museum.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as long as his multitude of hall of fame-type records, which are a significant part of baseball history are on the books, the hall of fame looks pretty stupid.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pete Rose got fucked I have been watching baseball since the early 60s... he made himself into a great ball player he worked harder than anyone in the game..... if Pete Rose doesn't deserve to be in a Hall of Fame the hall should close....

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say he deserves it He has paid a penalty. He should go in before any of the PED guys

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody who thinks Rose ever threw a game, obviously didn't watch him play.

Ty Cobb went balls out every game just like Rose did, and it didn't stop him from throwing a game when he deemed it was in his best interests. I suspect that Cobb's attitude (and probably Rose's) were a big part of that decision, he always wanted to win badly and so when he had the opportunity for a bigger personal "win" he took it.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pete Rose got fucked I have been watching baseball since the early 60s... he made himself into a great ball player he worked harder than anyone in the game..... if Pete Rose doesn't deserve to be in a Hall of Fame the hall should close....

He agreed to a lifetime ban....not a 25 year ban. Whether or not he "deserves" the honor is irrelevant if he agreed to the ban.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pete Rose is a dick but he didn't bet on his team to lose, he should be in and it's a joke he's not!

Shoeless Joe not being in is a bigger joke, sure he accepted the money but he didn't make an error in the series, hit the series only home run and batted .375

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pete Rose is a dick but he didn't bet on his team to lose, he should be in and it's a joke he's not!

We're not certain of that. Dowd (the main investigator on the case) claimed that they were in the process of verifying leads showing that Rose did bet against his team, but once Rose agreed to the ban, they had to end the investigation immediately.

Not to mention, even if Rose didn't bet on his team to lose, it is known that Rose didn't on games when certain pitchers started (Mario Soto and Bill Gullickson being two main examples). Couldn't that show that Rose had no confidence in his team winning on days Soto and Gullickson pitched? Maybe he owed money to someone and told them to bet against his team when those two pitched because Rose felt the Reds wouldn't win? The fact that Rose didn't bet on certain games opens up too many questions.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Shoeless Joe not being in is a bigger joke, sure he accepted the money but he didn't make an error in the series, hit the series only home run and batted .375

Taking money to throw a series and then possibly deciding not to at some point during the series, while keeping the money and telling nobody. What a hero.

Fall 1999: Shoeless Joe Jackson: From "Tragedy" to Farce

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taking money to throw a series and then possibly deciding not to at some point during the series, while keeping the money and telling nobody. What a hero.

Fall 1999: Shoeless Joe Jackson: From "Tragedy" to Farce

Who gives a phuck he kept the money, everyone else was, you would have given it back and ratted your teammates out? Bullshit! Five Thousand dollars back then was a lot of money! He did nothing in the series to help throw it and actually did everything he could to win, the people who gave him the money should be pissed not Kennesaw Mountain Landis or you or anyone else.

Not to at some point? Look what he did in the series and tell me you can tell when that "some point" was!

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling that once a new commissioner is in place, that Rose's introduction into the HoF will shortly follow. Keeping him out is all on the stubbornness of Selig.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who gives a phuck he kept the money, everyone else was, you would have given it back and ratted your teammates out? Bullshit! Five Thousand dollars back then was a lot of money! He did nothing in the series to help throw it and actually did everything he could to win, the people who gave him the money should be pissed not Kennesaw Mountain Landis or you or anyone else.

Not to at some point? Look what he did in the series and tell me you can tell when that "some point" was!

The link Dragon posted actually provides an interesting stat....

Jackson hit .250 with one run scored and no RBI in the four thrown games, while batting .500 with four runs and six RBI in the other four. In each of the first two games, both of which were thrown, Jackson allowed a two-out, two-run triple to left field.

In consecutive games the other team got 2-out, 2-run triple on balls hit to his zone?

Last edited by a moderator:

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We don't know how he bet. He says he never bet against his team, but he also said for years that he didn't bet at all. In any case, there's one rule posted in every clubhouse: No gambling. He knew that and did it anyway.

Even if you believe he never bet against his team, he didn't bet every game. If he managed games differently that he had money on and blew out the bullpen or made decisions that impacted the team on days that he didn't bet, he changed the course of games for his own personal gain. He was a great player, but he broke the cardinal rule in baseball and should not ever get to go into the HOF during his lifetime.

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling that once a new commissioner is in place, that Rose's introduction into the HoF will shortly follow. Keeping him out is all on the stubbornness of Selig.

Rose agreed to that punishment in order to stop the investigation into his activities.