• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alabama or UCF?

who is the best college football team?

• UCF

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • Alabalama

Votes: 34 47.9%

• Total voters

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the whole play a tougher schedule arguments. Tougher schedule means tougher opponents and, newsflash, AAC isn't a power 5 conference. So our conference play won't be seen as a tough schedule. Our out of conference schedule, which is 3 games, now judges whether we played a tough schedule? The only way for a non-power 5 conference team to win a national title or even be considered for it it to play the top power 5 teams. But here's the problem. Why is our schedule not tough enough but you got Bama playing Mercer in fucking November. For an AAC schedule, it was pretty tough. USF, Memphis and Navy were all ranked this year and we beat them all. No, we aren't playing SEC teams but that's because we aren't in the fucking SEC and if we were to play an power 5 team, we'd have to play a crap SEC team which then wouldn't be considered a real win because its against a crap power 5 team and the reason we'd have to play a crap power 5 team is because the good power 5 teams are scheduling games against mainly crap non-power 5 teams. It's a vicious cycle. Plus, out of conference games are decided YEARS in advance. So, for instance, we have schedule to play UNC 2 times in the next 3 years. When we schedule UNC, they were in the ACC title game. Now, they are a shit power 5 team. So that win, according to many, won't be a real win because, yeah it's against a power 5 team, but its a shit power 5 team. It's a lose-lose scenario unless you somehow get lucky and the teams you schedule in 2018 are actually a good team when it comes time to play them in 2020. Next year, our OOC schedule is UNC, Pittsburgh and FAU. 2019 we got FAU, Stanford and Pittsburgh. UCF isn't gonna be the same team in 2019 so when it comes time to play an actual "good" power 5 team like Stanford, we won't be this undefeated team we were in 2017 because of all the missing pieces we won't have anymore. Practically everyone who is eligible for the draft is leaving and so is our coach.

So, yes, it was a great season, only undefeated team in the country and the only team undefeated against ranked opponents. But it should be a hell of a lot easier for a non power 5 team to make a case for a national title or at least a playoff spot. If you want non-power 5 teams to schedule harder OOC schedules, then power 5 teams should be held to the same standard and stop schedule teams like Samford (Georgia), Mercer (Alabama), UTEP (Oklahoma) and Kent State (Clemson).

If non power 5 teams want a seat at the table, then they have to take those games that puts them on the road. Teams like Bama, and Auburn playing Mercer is overlooked because they play teams like Florida, Tennessee, Clemson, and Georgia. On top of that, Bama schedules a top 25 (sometimes top 10) matchup to start the season every year (USC, FSU, Michigan, Penn St), so doing that allows them to schedule a team like Mercer every year without much criticism (at least legit criticism). Auburn has done the same thing with their OOC schedule (Clemson twice, Louisville, Kansas St, etc.)

UCF was able to schedule teams like Stanford, Michigan, South Carolina, etc. over the past few seasons...this year they didn't have a big game like that. The GT game getting cancelled hurt their SOS, but if they truly want to be discussed with the other playoff teams, they need to schedule two power 5 teams every season IMO...even if it means they are mostly road games. Even if they are two middle of the pack power 5 teams, in an undefeated season, it will still give their argument of deserving playoff recognition some teeth. Just my two cents.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UCF not even in the top5.

And that's while getting 4 #1 butthurt votes.

It's two butthurt people plus one guy from the Orlando Sentinel, and one from Nebraska. The guy from the Orlando Sentinel can't vote Alabama #1 after they named UCF they're national champions and the other is just supporting Scott Frost. It's similar to the bias the LSU guy had that voted UCF #9.

Last edited:

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually how about eliminate non conference schedule games and just let the conference champions play in a tournament like every other sport on the planet. D1 football is the only one that has this shit method of just choosing who they think is best.

Then why exactly would the P5 teams let the G5 teams play?

If we don't get to play you OOC to boost our revenue with home games, I can assure you that we aren't going to cut you in on any of the playoff money. Without the millions in playoff money and the millions paid for P5 away games, every G5 teams goes back to FCS status tomorrow.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with your argument is that Alabama also played FSU, Fresno St and Colorado St OOC...which BTW are all better than your best OOC win. Plus we played 8 SEC teams in conference.

FSU, Fresno and Colorado were both better teams than UCF when we scheduled them.

In fact, UCF was 0-12 when you scheduled Maryland and Georgia Tech....according to your logic you should have had your pick of P5 teams.

Here's a news flash for you too. If you are counting on UNC to be a huge OOC win you've already lost.

Saying nobody will play you is the lamest excuse.

Remember when Boise was unbeaten in 2009....here are there signature opponents for the following 5 years...Virginia Tech, Georgia, Michigan St, Washington, Ole Miss.

All your future schedule says to me is that your AD didn't expect you to be good this year...and he wasn't expecting you to be good going forward either.

They were 9-4 (7-1) when they scheduled Georgia Tech and Georgia Tech was in the ACCCG. And, why is UNC a bad OOC game? They've been consistently borderline top 25 the past few years and in the playoff conversation heading into the Conference championship not that long ago. But yet, Ole Miss and Washington are examples you're using for Boise State. Also, UCF won the Fiesta Bowl in 2013, it's not like they've been a terrible team that teams see as a cupcake.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You missed one...

800px_COLOURBOX18051210.jpg
:yes:

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
uh, Bama lost to auburn. That is why nobody thinks they're that good.

I think Bama won the Big12 last night too now that I think about it. 3 conference championships in 2 weeks is pretty impressive. SO MANY TROPHIES!

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with your argument is that Alabama also played FSU, Fresno St and Colorado St OOC...which BTW are all better than your best OOC win. Plus we played 8 SEC teams in conference.

FSU, Fresno and Colorado were both better teams than UCF when we scheduled them.

In fact, UCF was 0-12 when you scheduled Maryland and Georgia Tech....according to your logic you should have had your pick of P5 teams.

Here's a news flash for you too. If you are counting on UNC to be a huge OOC win you've already lost.

Saying nobody will play you is the lamest excuse.

Remember when Boise was unbeaten in 2009....here are there signature opponents for the following 5 years...Virginia Tech, Georgia, Michigan St, Washington, Ole Miss.

All your future schedule says to me is that your AD didn't expect you to be good this year...and he wasn't expecting you to be good going forward either.

If you read what I said, I'm not counting on UNC to be a huge win because they now are a shit power 5 team.

All I'm saying is there is no way a non-power 5 team can be a legit national title contender because they are always judged on their schedules and because it's a "weak" schedule. Well, all non-power 5 conferences are seen as weak. So every non-power 5 conference schedule will be a weak schedule. That's the argument so that's how it's ALWAYS gonna be and I think that's bullshit. Should just drop the non-power 5 teams to the FCS if they will never play in anything aside from an NY6 bowl. Also, how man top power 5 teams are schedule top non-power 5 teams? For instance, Alabama's OOC schedule next year, Louisville, Arkansas State, The Citadel and Louisiana-Lafayette. Combined record this year of those 4 teams was 25-22. Why can't Bama schedule tougher OOC teams? Georgia's OOC schedule, Georgia Tech, Austin Peay, UMass and Middle Tennessee State. Combined record of those 4 teams? 24-24 and Austin Peay is an FCS team! If non-power 5 teams need to "schedule tougher OOC teams" then so do power-5 teams. This playing Mercer in November shit is fucking ridiculous for ANY top 25 team. Especially if you're a team that's been to the National title game twice in the last two years.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you read what I said, I'm not counting on UNC to be a huge win because they now are a shit power 5 team.

They had more season ending injuries then the rest of the ACC combined. They'll be relevant again next year.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Auburn beat Bama...UCF beat Auburn....

Gotta count for something.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They had more season ending injuries then the rest of the ACC combined. They'll be relevant again next year.

I'm not sayin they won't be, but as it looks right now, UCF is playing a shit OOC schedule again next year. But when UCF scheduled the, they were at the top of the ACC. That's the problem with schedule teams 2-4 years in advance.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Auburn beat Bama...UCF beat Auburn....

Gotta count for something.
Counts as a Peach Bowl trophy lol. I think UCF is a top 5 team in the country. Could they beat Alabama or Georgia or Oklahoma? Probably not. But they are a very good team and the way they played in the Peach Bowl shows that. Now next year, UCF is probably gonna do nothing. Losing too many players to the draft and the best coach we've ever had.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were 9-4 (7-1) when they scheduled Georgia Tech and Georgia Tech was in the ACCCG. And, why is UNC a bad OOC game? They've been consistently borderline top 25 the past few years and in the playoff conversation heading into the Conference championship not that long ago. But yet, Ole Miss and Washington are examples you're using for Boise State. Also, UCF won the Fiesta Bowl in 2013, it's not like they've been a terrible team that teams see as a cupcake.

Sorry but UNC<<<<<<<<Ole Miss and Washington. Ole Miss will likely return to UNC level, but Washington is a year removed from a playoff spot.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

All I'm saying is there is no way a non-power 5 team can be a legit national title contender because they are always judged on their schedules and because it's a "weak" schedule. Well, all non-power 5 conferences are seen as weak. So every non-power 5 conference schedule will be a weak schedule. That's the argument so that's how it's ALWAYS gonna be and I think that's bullshit. Should just drop the non-power 5 teams to the FCS if they will never play in anything aside from an NY6 bowl. Also, how man top power 5 teams are schedule top non-power 5 teams? For instance, Alabama's OOC schedule next year, Louisville, Arkansas State, The Citadel and Louisiana-Lafayette. Combined record this year of those 4 teams was 25-22. Why can't Bama schedule tougher OOC teams? Georgia's OOC schedule, Georgia Tech, Austin Peay, UMass and Middle Tennessee State. Combined record of those 4 teams? 24-24 and Austin Peay is an FCS team! If non-power 5 teams need to "schedule tougher OOC teams" then so do power-5 teams. This playing Mercer in November shit is fucking ridiculous for ANY top 25 team. Especially if you're a team that's been to the National title game twice in the last two years.

We don't have to schedule tougher because we are not playing a G5 schedule in conference. IF you want to be treated as equal, there has to be some equality in strength of schedule. If your strength of schedule in conference is considered weak...then where do you think you have to compensate.

We could have scheduled Mercer 4 times this season and we would still have a higher SOS than UCF....how is treating them as equal in any way fair to us? Why should we have to make our schedule tougher because yours is shittier....it should be the other way around. If we played tougher OOC schedules, the disparity would just get greater and your schedule would be looked down on even more.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry but UNC<<<<<<<<Ole Miss and Washington. Ole Miss will likely return to UNC level, but Washington is a year removed from a playoff spot.

We aren't talking about UNC and Washington this year though. That's not the argument being made.

Washington was 5-4 in conference that year, they were 7-6 or worse when Boise scheduled them. Not much difference in them and UNC when it comes to scheduling. Ole Miss was 17-21 the three years before Boise played them. UNC is 22-17 the three years before playing UCF.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, you can't win the National Championship if you aren't the best team in the country, that's why you haven't won a title since '48.
look. You can always hang your hat on those other perfectly legitimate national titles Saban has won.

Explain to me how a team can be the best in the nation without being the beat in their own conference.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We aren't talking about UNC and Washington this year though. That's not the argument being made.

Washington was 5-4 in conference that year, they were 7-6 or worse when Boise scheduled them. Not much difference in them and UNC when it comes to scheduling. Ole Miss was 17-21 the three years before Boise played them. UNC is 22-17 the three years before playing UCF.

Fair enough. but those were also the weakest of the 5 Boise scheduled.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Counts as a Peach Bowl trophy lol. I think UCF is a top 5 team in the country. Could they beat Alabama or Georgia or Oklahoma? Probably not. But they are a very good team and the way they played in the Peach Bowl shows that. Now next year, UCF is probably gonna do nothing. Losing too many players to the draft and the best coach we've ever had.

I think UCF had an amazing season! They deserve all the praise they have gotten. I just don't understand so many people crying that they deserved a playoff spot...or that they got robbed this year and that the playoffs should expand so that teams like UCF can get into the playoffs. IMO, their schedule this year just doesn't warrant them getting a spot at the dance...even in an expanded playoff. If you play in a middle of the pack conference (in terms of quality of teams), then you have to schedule at least one top 10 quality OOC game, or two Power 5 teams (hopefully middle of the pack or better in their conference) if you want to be considered for the playoffs IMO. That is the only way you can truly judge them at the end of the season. They just didn't have that quality win to measure them this season. Still, they had a GREAT year!

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
look. You can always hang your hat on those other perfectly legitimate national titles Saban has won.

Explain to me how a team can be the best in the nation without being the beat in their own conference.

I don't know what the beat is in our own conference...but we just beat our conference champion...for the National Championship. How could Georgia be the best team in our conference if they never played us...until last night?

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. but those were also the weakest of the 5 Boise scheduled.

Sure, they scheduled Virginia Tech, Ole Miss, and Washington who were similar to UNC and GT when UCF scheduled them.

They also scheduled Georgia and Michigan State, which are similar to Stanford and Michigan that UCF scheduled.