• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AFC West Roundup

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind that move either. Again though I'm just not sure the motivation is there for them to move him right now for anything less than say our 1st this year and 1st next year. That is way too high a price but with all the draft picks and cap space they have plus just fixing their OL I just think he is pretty close to off the market unless they get blown away by a deal.

I want to fix OL just as much as anyone but, why do this move with our present QB situation. By the time Lynch is ready to be our guy Thomas will be on his last legs. If PFM just signed here I'd do Thomas trade if possible. This draft will be interesting.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to fix OL just as much as anyone but, why do this move with our present QB situation. By the time Lynch is ready to be our guy Thomas will be on his last legs. If PFM just signed here I'd do Thomas trade if possible. This draft will be interesting.

Well that is why I said it is too high a price. If it is maybe just our 1st round pick this year or next year I would highly consider it. OT's are lasting far into their 30's playing at a high level. I don't see it taking 4-years for Lynch to reach his peak. And there is nobody in this draft that will be available at pick 20 that can make as much of an impact day 1 or probably over the next 4-years as that of Thomas. He isn't my favorite tackle by any means but he would solidify our biggest need with a high quality player.

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that is why I said it is too high a price. If it is maybe just our 1st round pick this year or next year I would highly consider it. OT's are lasting far into their 30's playing at a high level. I don't see it taking 4-years for Lynch to reach his peak. And there is nobody in this draft that will be available at pick 20 that can make as much of an impact day 1 or probably over the next 4-years as that of Thomas. He isn't my favorite tackle by any means but he would solidify our biggest need with a high quality player.

Great Points .

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess my question is how has this team gotten worse for Crash? We lost the start Sly but brought in 2 guys for the NT position. Webster is obviously a blow to our special teams but defensively he didn't see the field a whole lot. OL wise I would say we have improved maybe 3 positions and gone down so far on one of them. QB wise we still have the same 2 guys that started last year. I would expect both after a year of getting some experience to show some improvement.

Defensively we lost Ware but he other than leadership wasn't really much actual help on the field.

Something else to keep in mind is we do get CJ Anderson back for the run game and Booker is another year away from his knee injury with some experience. So the RB group should be good with 2 healthy guys carrying the load. This is all without having gone to the draft, still have $20 million in cap space to spend at some point, and maybe a trade or two to still come.

With very little turnover team wise this is the same unit that went 9-7 and just barely missed the playoffs. Now I guess you can look at the coaching staff and say that could be a major difference. I know you are not a Vance Joseph fan at all so maybe that is the driving force behind your negative view of the team. And honestly can't blame you. We have no idea how a first time head coach will do plus a new OC, DC, and STC on the team. It worked out really well last time we changed all those positions but that usually isn't the norm for a brand new coaching staff.

What was we on D before Wade ????????????????????????????????????????????? Crap about the only D Coordinator worth a crap before Wade was Nolan ... We will be a baskets case all over again . The one guy that We could of kept that would of gave us a half of chance this year is now a Ram .

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will not sugar coat this Shit cookie Staff . There is not one reason to believe in this staff it is garbage not a damn one of them worth their salt not a one been great before but I being asked to believe in them because Elway likes them ??????????????? I call this for what it is . Damn Stupid . And If KC did this you would be giggling at them .

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind that move either. Again though I'm just not sure the motivation is there for them to move him right now for anything less than say our 1st this year and 1st next year. That is way too high a price but with all the draft picks and cap space they have plus just fixing their OL I just think he is pretty close to off the market unless they get blown away by a deal.
I have to beg to differ at least on what Thomas would be worth to DENVER. You make good points above but I would give our 20 this year and a one next year for him. Eelay still has same mindset that he's not going to keep this D together much longer and it is win now. You fortify that O line, esp at Ltd and I truly believes he can win with his two Qbs WITH a run game and that D. Now Cleveland could be stickler as pointed out with so many picks but even so, Thomas knows there is no qb there now or in reasonable time to get Joe what he covers, and that's a ring. To me, If your Elway, you give up two firsts for Joe and your odds to return to Big game along with Leary and Watson gets you closer than couple draft picks that may or may not pan out. Thomas is a Sure as Shit " as there is. No brainer to me.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to beg to differ at least on what Thomas would be worth to DENVER. You make good points above but I would give our 20 this year and a one next year for him. Eelay still has same mindset that he's not going to keep this D together much longer and it is win now. You fortify that O line, esp at Ltd and I truly believes he can win with his two Qbs WITH a run game and that D. Now Cleveland could be stickler as pointed out with so many picks but even so, Thomas knows there is no qb there now or in reasonable time to get Joe what he covers, and that's a ring. To me, If your Elway, you give up two firsts for Joe and your odds to return to Big game along with Leary and Watson gets you closer than couple draft picks that may or may not pan out. Thomas is a Sure as Shit " as there is. No brainer to me.

Now while yes Thomas is a sure thing for how much longer? He is 32 already and will be 33 before the end of the season. While I think he can be great for another 2 years and good for another 2 after that you are probably only getting those 4 years out of him.

And while I do agree Elway has the mindset of doing just about whatever it takes to win a Super Bowl he also isn't going to destroy the future of the franchise for say a 2-year window. That is what you are talking about here. Teams that have given up the multiple 1st round picks like that have never usually panned out. You need both talent and depth on the team so giving up 2 1st round picks with one of them for sure a top-20 pick and no clue what the other one will be that is some huge value.

That is how you quickly destroy your cap situation. Broncos have it set up nicely with 2 young QB's on the roster but giving up valuable draft picks and taking on a bigger contract eliminates the advantage you get from having that position so cheap.

To me if Thomas was maybe 2-3 years younger then by all means give up 2 1st round picks becaues you are going to get 2 contracts out of him. He is getting older though so hard for me to see this trade working in the Broncos' favor.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will not sugar coat this Shit cookie Staff . There is not one reason to believe in this staff it is garbage not a damn one of them worth their salt not a one been great before but I being asked to believe in them because Elway likes them ??????????????? I call this for what it is . Damn Stupid . And If KC did this you would be giggling at them .

KC hiring a proven OC like McCoy, having an offensive staff that for the most part are all veteran guys known around the league as quality coaches. Do I really need to run down the list?

Musgrave--Just had a top-7 offense in Oakland as an OC and was part of seeing Derek Carr now become a top-7 QB in the league. He is now our QB's Coach.

Davidson--Has worked with OL's for 15 years in the NFL. Has worked with McCoy and last year helped produce a top-10 offense even with losing countless starters on that side of the ball. Was the OL coach for the Patriots during their huge reign in the early 2000's when they dominated with a strong run game most years finishing top-10. He was a part of helping AP with the Vikings get his 2000 yard season. Not only that but during that stretch they were the 2nd best rushing team in the league and that was without having any kind of QB play (@randymon this is what I'm talking about of having a great rushing attack even with terrible QB play)

Before that he worked with Carolina where they averaged being the 5th best rushing attack in the league during that stretch. They also were one of the few teams in NFL history to have 2 RB's go for over 1000 yards in the same season.

Chryst--23 years NFL coaching experience with 8 years as a TE's coach. He also has been an OC in the past and QB's coach with his teams being highly successful. Most of his work with TE's has actually been big time with them becoming great run blocking units. Also another that has worked with McCoy so shouldn't be a tough transition.

Switching over to the defensive side of the ball.

All but Wade Phillips was retained on the defensive side of the ball. So the same guys that have helped coach up this unit over the last couple of years are in place just the play caller is different. The one guy added is Marcus Robertson. He was recommended by Charles Woodson as one of the best secondary coaches he has worked with in his time in the NFL. So I think he will do just fine.

So while we do have a 1st time HC, DC, and STC they all have veteran staffs to back them up and help them along the way. No I would not be giggling at the Chiefs if they put this staff together. I would say yes they have some question marks but I would also look at the veteran units they have put together and think they would do just fine.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not buying sorry we are headed for a 2 -14 season .

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guess we shall see. With pretty much the same team as last year with a couple of new bodies on both DL and OL we went 9-7 this past year with 2 QB's with no experience. Hard to see that same unit then fall off a cliff

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wade Philips
So the new HC, admittedly a Wade protege, and the remainder of the derensive staff almost entirely intact is still worth 7 less wins? I hope you aren't right this time Crash. :)

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you are a Bronco fan and you predict 2-14 - what you are actually saying is - I'm going in with low expectations increasing the odds for I will be surprised as the season unfolds - rather than disappointed. This is the very reason why I don't like to bet on teams with which I have an emotional connection.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's because your misguided analysis of Trevor POSSIBLY being a gb that would flourish behind a solid O line and run game, continues to elude some of you. Listened to Elway today ? If you have even a small amount of reading between the lines concept, you would of heard Elways comments regarding Lynch. Basically not so confident Lynch will beat out Trevor heading in to wknd 1 and he said..." I expect Lynch to make more progress as season goes... Couple of you need to wake up and smell the coffee because Lynch won't start this year unless Trevor gets hurt. Or.....In the extremely thin chance Trevor does get pulled for Lynch sometime in season for reason other than injury, they'll go back to Trevor after one game. How it's so easy for a nobody like me to see it and have these self anointed qb guru's not see what's been right in front of their face since last preseason and rest of year, boggles the mind. If Denver fixes line and run game improves significantly, Lynch will be holding clipboard all year. Take that back, they might use him in wildcat type play here and there. :)
Now while yes Thomas is a sure thing for how much longer? He is 32 already and will be 33 before the end of the season. While I think he can be great for another 2 years and good for another 2 after that you are probably only getting those 4 years out of him.

And while I do agree Elway has the mindset of doing just about whatever it takes to win a Super Bowl he also isn't going to destroy the future of the franchise for say a 2-year window. That is what you are talking about here. Teams that have given up the multiple 1st round picks like that have never usually panned out. You need both talent and depth on the team so giving up 2 1st round picks with one of them for sure a top-20 pick and no clue what the other one will be that is some huge value.

That is how you quickly destroy your cap situation. Broncos have it set up nicely with 2 young QB's on the roster but giving up valuable draft picks and taking on a bigger contract eliminates the advantage you get from having that position so cheap.

To me if Thomas was maybe 2-3 years younger then by all means give up 2 1st round picks becaues you are going to get 2 contracts out of him. He is getting older though so hard for me to see this trade working in the Broncos' favor.
So you get " great " for two years and then " good " for two more years while in mean time you still have a good nucleus of your D in that period or use that#1 LT you pkd that finally shows up in year 3 of his rookie contract and then you need to spend a ton of money to extend his contract for yr 4 or you lose him in FA following year. Glad your not GM for Broncos. :) Elway knows he's a " Oline/running game away with this D to competing for a Championship ,faith in Trevor to run offense effectively with the help from improved line help and maximizing the short time he has with current top 5 D. Not seriously making commitment for Thomas is ludicrous at this point.

Last edited:

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe John Elway has a memory. Gary Zimmerman was 31 when the Broncos acquired him in 1993 - and the Broncos got 5 seasons out of him.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I just don't see it. There would have to be a cataclysmic breakdown for this team to have a 2-14 season. That sort of thing does indeed happen, but the examples are outliers. I think the probability of this team going 10-6 and reaching the playoffs is actually higher than going 2-14. 2-14 would literally be the worst season in the franchise's history. I just don't see that as a very likely outcome on this season.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Defense has too many playmakers not to succeed again this year and keep Denver in most if not all games.

Anyone is an upgrade in playcalling over Kubiak and Dennison.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How is signing Thomas " destroying " the team for the future ? #1....There's no guarantees your number ones pan out especially on O line, your #2-7 picks can garnish # one talent as we've seen year end and year out. You fortify the very critical LT spot, utilize the time you have left with this D and have a shot at returning to the SB for next couple years if either of your Qbs are the real deal. This team needs a O line NOW . IMHO of course.

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2-14 would really put us in great position to bolster our team. I think we are in a major transition for next 2-3 yrs without a major coup or two added on this team. Just enjoy the ride. I t hope we can make smart choices for the long term success of this org even if we suffer a few so so seasons until we know we have our QBOTF.

Draft better
stockpile more RD1 RD 2 or RD3 picks for next 2 or 3 drafts.
Don't go big name FA crazy until QB position is settled long term.

Last edited: