• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers vs Rams Pre Game Thread:

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense did struggle against the Giants and the Ravens and certainly didn't stop the winning drive (Giants), but the offense has had a difficult time generating anything. I was listening to KNBR, they had a guest (Cosell) and he mentioned that although the defense has struggled, they have showed some improvements. The offense on the other hand has regressed where they have scored in single digits in three of the seven games. Even the awful Lions scored 17 points against the Cardinals and they just fire their OC. This offense just plain stinks!!

The offense is really bad. They both stink. The run defense was ranked 15th prior to last week which isn't bad, The pass defense is just really bad. The 49ers allow opposing QBa the second most time in the league in the pocket. The opposing teams 3rd down conversion rate is horrible. Last year even when the offense struggled some games, the defense usually kept the team in it. Not this year. The pass defense is getting a little better since abandoning the exotic coverages and bltz schemes.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't going to respond this again until you felt the need to call me out on this thread to someone else. As I said before, I don't care which one is technically worse by rank. And to answer your question using points as stats, sure the offense looks much worse. But there are other stats also.

I corrected Purguy when he said that the defense is worse than the offense. You felt the need to chime in. So yes, I'm going to call you out because you're still avoiding the question. Why you can't answer a simple question is beyond me. I'll ask again.

Is the offense worse than the defense?

If not points, then which stat would you like to use? You already said that "Our pass defense is about the worst the league". By what metric were you using to make that assessment? I'm assuming yards per game, in which they're ranked 31st. By that same measurement, the 49ers offense ranks 32nd in offensive yards per game. 31 < 32, so the offense would rank worse in that case too (not that I agree with using yards per game).

What fascinates me is that you're going this far to avoid the question. I wonder why.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
both suck. in my opinion the offense has been better. Not by much.

Based on what? You ranked the offense 26th because you were looking at total yards. This is incredibly misleading for one obvious reason: the 49ers have played one more game than each of the teams that they out-rank.

If you look at yards per game, the 49ers offense is dead last.

HighTopFade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me they have both been really bad at times during the game and both rank poorly. I really don't care whether one is ranked lower than the other. The ranking doesn't interest me enough to continue dwelling on it.

Doesn't interest me either. The matchups are different week to week for every team. Some schedules are harder than others. Some divisions are harder than others. I think of the 2007 Patriots who out matched every team they played. Statistically unbeatable. Then they were out matched in the Superbowl.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the team is so bad (noncompetitive in 4 losses) that some choose not to dwell on the ineptitude of this team. But I agree with you that the offense is worse than the defense. Sure the defense has had lapses especially in the secondary where we're young and at times I question Mangini's scheme. Still, when the offense have more punts than first downs, then the offense is not doing its part to keep us in the game. The defensive players haven't even had time to catch their breath and get a drink and they're back on the field because of another three and out by the offense. It has to be frustrating for the defensive players.

The defense is playing poorly. The offense is playing TERRIBLY. There's a very obvious difference between the two.

The 49ers offense ranks dead last in points per game, (which is kind of the thing you're trying to do on offense and what you need to do to win games). And not only are they dead last, but their 14.7 points per game is the worst in the league since 2012. That's not just bad. That's god-awful.

Yet some people here want to say that the defense is worse? It's laughable really. I think it's ultimately being done in an attempt to defend Kaepernick. The most important player on the offense is the quarterback. If he's leading the league's worst offense, then he should be removed from the starting position. The Kaepologists understand this, I think, and maybe this is why they don't think the offense is as bad as it really is.

Maybe, I don't know. That's the only explanation I have for people not being able to see how bad our offense is.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I corrected Purguy when he said that the defense is worse than the offense. You felt the need to chime in. So yes, I'm going to call you out because you're still avoiding the question. Why you can't answer a simple question is beyond me. I'll ask again.

Is the offense worse than the defense?

If not points, then which stat would you like to use? You already said that "Our pass defense is about the worst the league". By what metric were you using to make that assessment? I'm assuming yards per game, in which they're ranked 31st. By that same measurement, the 49ers offense ranks 32nd in offensive yards per game. 31 < 32, so the offense would rank worse in that case too (not that I agree with using yards per game).

What fascinates me is that you're going this far to avoid the question. I wonder why.

I did say the offense is worse than the defense and why you want to continue to harp on this is beyond me.

Offense Defense

Pass Yards 31 31
Rush Yards 17 20
Pts 32 22

The offense and defense are both terrible and it depends on what game you look at. The team has 14 sacks on defense and were it not for padding that total against Seattle's horrible line it would be among the worst

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did say the offense is worse than the defense

And now it finally comes out. It's like pulling teeth with you.

Please talk some sense into Purguy now. He says the opposite, which is why I addressed his post in the first place.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And now it finally comes out. It's like pulling teeth with you.

Please talk some sense into Purguy now. He says the opposite, which is why I addressed his post in the first place.

I've said it before. What's the point in arguing over such trivial things? It is just downright silly.

HighTopFade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of those sports bookie guys was on KNBR this morning. He recommended taking the 49ers with the 8.5. Not a gambler but not sure I would make that bet.

I don't think betting a 12 pack of beer that I'll help drink is considered gambling so I'm taking the 49ers with the 8.5. My bold prediction for this game is Rams 13 - Niners 6.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
One of those sports bookie guys was on KNBR this morning. He recommended taking the 49ers with the 8.5. Not a gambler but not sure I would make that bet.

Not pounding the table but i'd place this bet. The total score is expected to be low, so 8.5 is a lot when the score is 17-14 or 12-10 or 13-9.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't take the bet. Hyde is out and Boldin might as well be out. The Rams dline will dominate the 49ers oline. I wouldn't be surprised if the 49ers give up at least five or six sacks and Kap will struggle under pressure. I see a repeat of last week on offense and I just don't see this defense holding down the Rams given the offenses struggles and Gurley breaking out. Foles isn't great but the 49ers can't generate a rush unless it is an oline as bad as the Seahawks.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rams starting LDE Chris Long was already out. Starting RDE Robert Quinn is listed as Questionable, (50-50). 3rd DE William Hayes who was expected to take Long's place is listed as Questionable. Back-up/pass rushing DT Nick Fairley is listed as Probable, (illness).

Kaepernick might actually survive! With the 49ers WRs back/healthier i'm tempted to take the over, (39½).

HighTopFade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaepernick might actually survive! With the 49ers WRs back/healthier i'm tempted to take the over, (39½).

I don't know man. That's a lot of points the Rams will need to score. I just can't see the Niner offense doing too well.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well looks like Hyde is Out and we cut Hayne, why? cause why the hello not I suppose. I guess Baalke still doesn't want to believe we're building so he cuts a guy with a lot of upside in the return game. That or it's time to pull all of the strings to insure we tank this season where he will no doubt lay all of the blame on Kaepernick and Tomsula.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This loss will be tough to blame on Kaepernick without Boldin and Hyde.

Rams 27
Niners 3

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well looks like Hyde is Out and we cut Hayne, why? cause why the hello not I suppose. I guess Baalke still doesn't want to believe we're building so he cuts a guy with a lot of upside in the return game. That or it's time to pull all of the strings to insure we tank this season where he will no doubt lay all of the blame on Kaepernick and Tomsula.
They need Running backs and Hayne has been a bust as a returner with all the fumbles.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Call me crazy but I think the 9ers keep this one close. Just let Kap do his thing and let him run as often as he used to. Reggie Bush just might shine this week.