• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Free agency and draft thread

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not fully sure I agree with the idea that a first round QB needs to be a franchise QB. A top 5 pick does because of what it represents on the trade value chart but anything outside of that can just simply be a starting level QB and be worthwhile imo just because of the cost control it gives you for half a decade.

If Sam Darnold has a good year, you're going to have to pay him $35 million a year from 2025 and beyond. JJ McCarthy might be like $8 million a year for his first four years. Bo Nix maybe a little less. So you're saving maybe $75-80 mil over 3 years. Unless you're drafting Chris Jones or better with your first round pick then you might as well save some cash and bring in a young QB.
You don't have a pay a mediocre QB like Darnold $35M just because he has an average year. You can sign him to a sensible deal like the Seahawks did with Smith, or sign another mediocre QB who might outperform a low value contract.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,381.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't have a pay a mediocre QB like Darnold $35M just because he has an average year. You can sign him to a sensible deal like the Seahawks did with Smith, or sign another mediocre QB who might outperform a low value contract.
Geno got a 3 year deal worth up to 105 million.

Screenshot_20240317-180838.png

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think it was 75 mill guaranteed.
Smith got 3 years at $27.5M, $22.5M, and $25M plus NLTBE incentives in the final 2 years, (which he didn't achieve in 2023 for 2024). Only the 1st year at $27.5M was fully guaranteed. The Seahawks had an opportunity to release him at zero cost in February. Even at $22.5M fans were split on his being cut or retained.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,381.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith got 3 years at $27.5M, $22.5M, and $25M plus NLTBE incentives in the final 2 years, (which he didn't achieve in 2023 for 2024). Only the 1st year at $27.5M was fully guaranteed. The Seahawks had an opportunity to release him at zero cost in February. Even at $22.5M fans were split on his being cut or retained.
Screenshot_20240317-182147.png40 mill was guaranteed.

My bad.

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno better step it up. Howell still has a chance imo

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was using Baker Mayfield as a comparison but you are right that you can keep signing cheap FA QBs every year.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now, come on 49ers make Purdy the highest paid qb in NFL history

• Haha
Reactions: DJ

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Geno was 3/75, and with the march forward of salaries, 30-35 wouldn't be out of the question as a demand. Of course, Darnold would have to be a lot better than mediocre for me to give him any sizable contract. He's a bridge/backup QB at this stage IMO, nothing more.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno was 3/75, and with the march forward of salaries, 30-35 wouldn't be out of the question as a demand. Of course, Darnold would have to be a lot better than mediocre for me to give him any sizable contract. He's a bridge/backup QB at this stage IMO, nothing more.

That contract had some major kickers in it. If he would have had the season last year that he had the year before, there would have been an additional $15M due this year on a roster bonus.

Geno had a bad agent. Flat out. The new normal isn't Geno's deal....it's Mayfield 3 year $100M deal. And that, unlike Geno's deal, is real. Geno's deal will be pointed at just like this as pointing out how bad his agent is.

They can pay Baker:
1 year $40M
2 year $60M
3 year $100M

That is now the new point of reference for reclamation QB contracts that would apply to Darnold if he were to turn things around. He certainly has fallen into a good spot. The Vikes are a very complete offense right now. We just need to sign/resign a single guard and it will more or less be the exact same offense as last year. And that hopefully will include a full year from Jefferson, a more developed Addison and at some point healthy Hock. That is a damn good core group to work.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,381.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors floating around SF may trade a 7th for Zach Wilson.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That contract had some major kickers in it. If he would have had the season last year that he had the year before, there would have been an additional $15M due this year on a roster bonus.

Geno had a bad agent. Flat out. The new normal isn't Geno's deal....it's Mayfield 3 year $100M deal. And that, unlike Geno's deal, is real. Geno's deal will be pointed at just like this as pointing out how bad his agent is.

They can pay Baker:
1 year $40M
2 year $60M
3 year $100M

That is now the new point of reference for reclamation QB contracts that would apply to Darnold if he were to turn things around. He certainly has fallen into a good spot. The Vikes are a very complete offense right now. We just need to sign/resign a single guard and it will more or less be the exact same offense as last year. And that hopefully will include a full year from Jefferson, a more developed Addison and at some point healthy Hock. That is a damn good core group to work.

Yah, that contract was RIDICULOUSLY in favor of Seattle - there wasn't a huge chance he was going to repeat 2022, and that was obvious as his play kind of dropped off the 2nd half of the year. And this year Geno's cap hit is not bad at all ($26M) and then next year it does go up a lot (nearly to $40M) but Seattle can just cut him and only take a $10M hit lol.

In hindsight it was good Geno didn't have the season like he did in 2022 because while it would've maybe got Seattle to the playoffs, Seattle's defense was so abysmal they would've been a 1st round exit anyway. I was actually rooting for Seattle towards the end to NOT make the playoffs and to start all their rookies and younger guys (see what they got - and avoid injuries to better players).

I don't usually root for my team to lose, but Seattle was going NOWHERE at the end of last season with the worst defensive allowed TOP and 3rd worst 3rd down conversion defense in the league.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors floating around SF may trade a 7th for Zach Wilson.
:puke:I doubt that happens as the Niners aren't gonna be keen to pay Wilson's salary. Maybe it happens if the jets agree to pay most of his salary. I wouldn't do it no matter what.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,381.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They can pay Baker:
1 year $40M
2 year $60M
3 year $100M

Mayfield's contract has a max value of 115 million. Not 200 million, like your numbers add up to.

50 million is guaranteed.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith took that contract after a much better than league average year, and only the 1st year at $27.5M was fully guaranteed. If he reverted to back-up level play the Seahawks could cut him without further pay. 2 years on and in a normal market that should be 3 years for $85-90M. I don't hate Darnold. His positive play is good enough to win with, but he's always been a turnover machine. He needs to play through a season with low turnovers or show low turnover-worthy form. He'll be on 1-year deals until he does.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They can pay Baker:
1 year $40M
2 year $60M
3 year $100M

That's how I read Mayfield's contract as well. He's guaranteed $40M and if they want to move on after 14 games that's what he'll get - with the $10M for 2025 being paid in 2025. More realistically it's 2 years at $30M per year, ($60M/2 years total), with a $40M team option in year 3.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saints are signing DE Chase Young to a 1 year, 13M, fully guaranteed deal.