• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Free agency and trade thread

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is how successful teams trade.

You get a vet that likely will be able to get into your system and likely help you down the stretch. But you also get a reduced cost next year because Green Bay has sucked all his signing bonus up onto their cap and you just owe him his base salary.

What the NFL has yet to realize that MLB has always realized: You dont trade for players. You trade for contracts.

Buffalo dropped from the 3rd round to the 5th round to get a CB for 1.5 years of a vet player on a cheaper than market value contract.

Teams like Washington and Seattle traded 2nd rounders for the right to pay slightly above average players top contracts for the next 3 to 4 years.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hurt in 2021 and 2022.

He already has 5 sacks this season and is on pace for 12.5.
Right, you're balancing risk with reward. You dont trade a 1st rounder for that

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,205.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No excuses for the Niners

Ninja Spy GIF by Walk Off The Earth

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most would take Young over Sweat and Sweat brought back a 2nd rounder.
I mean...they'd be wrong, IMO.

7, 9, 5, 8, and 6.5 so far this year.

7, 1, 0, 5 so far this year.

I get it, one time Young was thought to be THE next DE in the league, but it's just not panned out that way. Injuries are a part of the story and a part of the risk. Sweat has been healthier and more productive - less risk, less downside, higher asking price.

Who knows, maybe Young ends up looking like a stud over the next few months, and starts to fulfil that promise everyone once saw in him. However, as we sit here and look at what kind of return value each player would garner (and has garnered) - Young's value is not as good. That's not a knock on him, it's just reality.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,205.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean...they'd be wrong, IMO.

7, 9, 5, 8, and 6.5 so far this year.

7, 1, 0, 5 so far this year.

I get it, one time Young was thought to be THE next DE in the league, but it's just not panned out that way. Injuries are a part of the story and a part of the risk. Sweat has been healthier and more productive - less risk, less downside, higher asking price.

Who knows, maybe Young ends up looking like a stud over the next few months, and starts to fulfil that promise everyone once saw in him. However, as we sit here and look at what kind of return value each player would garner (and has garnered) - Young's value is not as good. That's not a knock on him, it's just reality.
You listed just sacks....more to it than that.

Pressures, TFL, QB hits, etc.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You're right, but because Sweat has been healthy - those stats are all going to be better over the years in a year over year comp.

Again, Young may pay off on this trade, but only in the minds of those who still think this is Young's first year and has no injury history are they going to think he's worth more than Sweat right now at this very moment.

He has more Tackles, Assists, FF...in a quick search, I didn't see TFL...but I'm going to assume Sweat has him there, too...

Again, this isn't to knock Young...who may very well turn out to be a great trade...but Sweat's stats, and health history (or lack there of), push him ahead of Young.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You obviously have never seen every Chase Young play in Washington but we have. I was a huge fan of the pick, who wouldn't be? But it was obvious from the start, and before the knee injury, that he just can't beat the tackle to the edge. He is constantly ridden behind the QB and out of the play. Can you name one great pass rusher that can't get the edge? His sack and hurry totals are better this year, but that was against very poor OL for the most part. His sack totals are real and this was not expected when he was drafted.

I'm just thankful my team didn't overpay for another Lavar Arrington because he is the same player. Freak athlete, can dominate at times but not nearly enough times, never seemed to make the big sack late in the game and is constantly out of position.

You're gonna have to trust me on this, or visit a Washington board.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You obviously have never seen every Chase Young play in Washington but we have. I was a huge fan of the pick, who wouldn't be? But it was obvious from the start, and before the knee injury, that he just can't beat the tackle to the edge. He is constantly ridden behind the QB and out of the play. Can you name one great pass rusher that can't get the edge? His sack and hurry totals are better this year, but that was against very poor OL for the most part. His sack totals are real and this was not expected when he was drafted.

I'm just thankful my team didn't overpay for another Lavar Arrington because he is the same player. Freak athlete, can dominate at times but not nearly enough times, never seemed to make the big sack late in the game and is constantly out of position.

I just saw the news. I immediately had the burning question of "is Chase Young a good player?" Thank you for extinguishing the flames. LOL. At this point in my life, so much of my football experience is from fantasy football, so I don't really pay much attention to defensive players who aren't on the Niners or another contending team.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Can't set the edge, injury prone, traded to the Niners.

My god, thats Dee Ford's music!

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't set the edge, injury prone, traded to the Niners.

My god, thats Dee Ford's music!

Seems like the main attraction for the Niners is that they're only on the hook for $561,000, so it's a cheap way to kick the tires on a 24 year old player who was once highly regarded.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like the main attraction for the Niners is that they're only on the hook for $561,000, so it's a cheap way to kick the tires on a 24 year old player who was once highly regarded.
You win a Super Bowl and you'll certainly forget whatever price you paid for him.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just saw the news. I immediately had the burning question of "is Chase Young a good player?" Thank you for extinguishing the flames. LOL. At this point in my life, so much of my football experience is from fantasy football, so I don't really pay much attention to defensive players who aren't on the Niners or another contending team.
We all saw this it was so obvious. What we didn't see until this season was if the play went to the other side Chase would quit. You guys made a smart trade, a rental for the end of the season for a 3rd round comp pick that you will get back in 2025. In Washington the overwhelming opinion outside of the Commie board here is good riddance.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hate moves like the Seahawks and Bears just made because it absolutely forces them to vastly overpay in order to keep those players.

Sweat now will get $30M AAV or close to it. He wouldn't have gotten that on the open market IMO. But now that a team has money in the pot already, they have to make sure to see it all the way to the river. And they have to do it before he hits FA or else he can peak around for a better spot which means they have to give him more just to put pen to paper before FA starts for a dollar value over what he really should be getting paid.

In a league where you only can sign about 4 or 5 players to top value contracts, neither Sweat or Williams are guys that I would want my team handing out those top contracts too. And I REALLY dont want them to be handing over valuable draft assets for the right to do so.
Dude, you are wrong in thinking this trade forces Seattle to overpay for this D Lineman.
See Sheldon Richardson as an example.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
29 and having his worst year of his career. Paid $10M and gave up a 2nd for a rental. Probably why a lot of teams weren't in on him
That was my bad. I read Leonard Williams but was thinking Dexter Lawrence When I first saw it on twitter.