• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Free agency and trade thread

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If not....Cleveland releases him and Baker gets a job if somebody gets hurt in preseason or early in next season.
Again, Mayfield's 5th year is fully guaranteed. No way the Browns are going to pay him the full amount to go away ahead of the season and allow another team to sign him up for peanuts. If they're stuck with his contract he might as well be their #2 or #3 QB.

It's a moot point. Someone will trade for him.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,071.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, Mayfield's 5th year is fully guaranteed. No way the Browns are going to pay him the full amount to go away ahead of the season and allow another team to sign him up for peanuts. If they're stuck with his contract he might as well be their #2 or #3 QB.

I think so too

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Garoppolo and Mayfield are top 24 starting QBs in the NFL. Multiple teams have worse QB options. Waiting for the Draft to get a project will be incredibly risky. NOT trading for Garoppolo or Mayfield is going to get a GM or HC fired.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Garoppolo and Mayfield are top 24 starting QBs in the NFL. Multiple teams have worse QB options. Waiting for the Draft to get a project will be incredibly risky. NOT trading for Garoppolo or Mayfield is going to get a GM or HC fired.
No it won't unless it's the Browns or 49ers GM or coach.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Browns could be willing to package in picks for Seattle to take the salary off their hands. Similar to what the Texans did with Osweiler when they traded him to the Browns lol.

Course Watson is pretty cheap this year. Him and Mayfield are only $30M combined or so.... so who knows.

But please don't acquire Mayfraud Seattle by giving up draft picks. If you want to sign him after he's released or trade for him IF the Browns are going to give us picks, fine. Although I'd rather tank or just draft a QB now. See if you hit on a pick in the 2nd round or just get one of the top 3 QBs next year. Don't go 9-8 with fuckin' Mayfraud.

Last edited:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@HaroldSeattle @Sharkonabicycle

Wrestling Smirk GIF

luke-skywalker-no.gif

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They just cut Waynes. Bengals got enough cap space for Gilmore now :2cents::yes:

WHO DEY!
I didn't see his pre-cut contract details. It looks like he was due $15.85M, in which case it was probably a matter of time. Maybe there was a bonus due on March 22 2022?

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree that it is unlikely....

.....but I believe the Browns could declare him a post June 1st cut and spread the hit over this and next year. The only benefit the Browns would have doing that is they would be stealing $11m from next years cap to gain $11m in this years cap.

Not a lot of point in doing it that way. But that really has been the way NFL teams have been doing it lately.

Here's the thing though. With Winston just signing a $14m per year deal today, is Baker even worth the contract he is playing under (the same is true of Jimmy G to a certain extent now too)? A team like Seattle or the Panthers would have to think he is more than a patch. Seattle I doubt would do it. But the Panthers FO and coaching staff might bite just because they know they are going to get shit canned if they dont make the playoffs.

Racer8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're either being very selective and/or expecting more money than the market will bear. Rams still have $16M in cap space left currently and still have EDGE/CB/LB needs; do they try to fit all 3 into that number, or one big hit at one position? Or is that money slated for Odell?

Havenstein's retirement should also free up another $7M or so.
My feeling is they'll throw as much money Odell's way as possible to keep him happy.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that it is unlikely....

.....but I believe the Browns could declare him a post June 1st cut and spread the hit over this and next year. The only benefit the Browns would have doing that is they would be stealing $11m from next years cap to gain $11m in this years cap.

Not a lot of point in doing it that way. But that really has been the way NFL teams have been doing it lately.

Here's the thing though. With Winston just signing a $14m per year deal today, is Baker even worth the contract he is playing under (the same is true of Jimmy G to a certain extent now too)? A team like Seattle or the Panthers would have to think he is more than a patch. Seattle I doubt would do it. But the Panthers FO and coaching staff might bite just because they know they are going to get shit canned if they dont make the playoffs.
Not going to happen. Mayfield has a 1 year fully guaranteed deal. Post June 1 cut designations are used where the team has pushed back cap hits which will accelerate into the current year when the player leaves.

When a player is cut all the dead money previously paid to the player, (but not yet accounted for), accelerates into the earliest season it can be accounted for, (on a June 2 2021 to June 1 2022 rolling year). A post June 1 cut designation would allow a team for this season to only account for the dead money was scheduled to be accounted for this season. All the remaining dead money previously paid to the player would accelerate into the following year, (2023). However, there is no dead money unaccounted for with Mayfield's contract so currently a post June 1 cut designation wouldn't achieve any positive outcome.

The only way a post June 1 cut would come into play with Mayfield would be if his contract was extended and his 2022 salary was converted into a signing bonus. The Browns would still have to pay Mayfield all of the guaranteed money. They'd have to account for the pro-rata bonus and reduced salary against their salary cap until June 1 2022. The rest would be accounted for in 2023. Mayfield would immediately become a FA and he could double-dip a 2nd salary with another team. The Browns aren't going to pay Mayfield the money and then not have the benefit of him being the #2 or #3 QB. Absolute worst case scenario for the Browns is they keep him and later trade him to someone who is willing to pay part of his salary.

I'm not sure the NFL would allow a team to extend a player and then designate him as a post June 1 cut in the same period. To my knowledge it hasn't been allowed in the past.

Mayfield's contract has trade value. It may be low, it may even be, or become, a negative value. However, it should still be more valuable than the cost of paying him and getting nothing in return. $18M+ of cash and cap space is probably worth a mid/high 2nd round pick if evaluating a potential no-return vs asset loss.

Racer8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he's healthy, Danielle Hunter is vastly superior to anyone on Seattle's D-line right now. He's the fastest player in NFL history to 50 sacks. So he would be more than depth for you if you traded for him, he's a plug and play starter that you can rely on for double digit sacks.

These days Hunter's health is a big IF though. He missed all if 2020 and 10 games in 2021, which is why the Vikings have had a tough time trading him. The only reason that the team might be looking to trade him is that he might not fit the new 3-4 scheme and he's getting more expensive.
Yeah that's what I meant. Thanks for clearing that up.