• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Free agency and trade thread

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions signed Zack Ertz. I guess LaPorta is the only healthy TE remaining on the team at this point.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only time we heard the name Chase Young on Sunday is when he got cleared out by a no name rookie WIDE RECEIVER on a huge run. Teams think so little of Young's ability to set the edge that they felt confident in matching up a random wide receiver. And they were right.

He had every opportunity when he went to SF with such a great situation around him. In 11 games he now has 13 tackles 2.5 sacks and is seen giving up on plays and being blocked 1 on1 by a rookie wide receiver.

I can't believe some argued here with me that Washington made a mistake when it was clearly the right decision.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only time we heard the name Chase Young on Sunday is when he got cleared out by a no name rookie WIDE RECEIVER on a huge run. Teams think so little of Young's ability to set the edge that they felt confident in matching up a random wide receiver. And they were right.

He had every opportunity when he went to SF with such a great situation around him. In 11 games he now has 13 tackles 2.5 sacks and is seen giving up on plays and being blocked 1 on1 by a rookie wide receiver.

I can't believe some argued here with me that Washington made a mistake when it was clearly the right decision.

No way the Niners even attempt to resign him. That trade hasn't worked out for SF. Too often, he doesn't hold up his responsibility against the run--holding the edge, etc. It still amazes me, but I believe some team will sign him to a relatively big deal though.

OTOH, Randy Gregory has outplayed Young in SF. I could see Gregory wanting to stick around and the feeling being mutual depending on Gregory's salary demands--which, let's face it, shouldn't be too high. Maybe a short term deal to boost his value after the Broncos dumped him for almost nothing.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way the Niners even attempt to resign him. That trade hasn't worked out for SF. Too often, he doesn't hold up his responsibility against the run--holding the edge, etc. It still amazes me, but I believe some team will sign him to a relatively big deal though.

OTOH, Randy Gregory has outplayed Young in SF. I could see Gregory wanting to stick around and the feeling being mutual depending on Gregory's salary demands--which, let's face it, shouldn't be too high. Maybe a short term deal to boost his value after the Broncos dumped him for almost nothing.
san fran at keast got him in a 3 point stance a few games.i don,t recall seeing that with his dc time.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And as a Bears fan, I recall a number of writers, analysts, and definitely some on this board who thought the Bears got swindled when they traded their 2nd round pick for Montez Sweat, while the Niners 'stole' Young for a 3rd rounder. This despite a number of Commander players saying Sweat was the better player. I can assure you Bears fans have been ecstatic with the results from our trade.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It was certainly worth the gamble for only a 3rd comp. We all knew this was a rental. But yeah I won't say I'm upset that he continued his poor play and I'm happy for the pick.

By the way notice how we agree on most things here, other than Trump? If you would just fix that flaw I'd consider you a really smart guy. :)

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And as a Bears fan, I recall a number of writers, analysts, and definitely some on this board who thought the Bears got swindled when they traded their 2nd round pick for Montez Sweat, while the Niners 'stole' Young for a 3rd rounder. This despite a number of Commander players saying Sweat was the better player. I can assure you Bears fans have been ecstatic with the results from our trade.
Yeah I wish they had retained Sweat. Sweat was obviously the better of the 2 players but we did not get the same production you have gotten. But paying 3 DL big contracts as they had already committed to Payne and Allen, would not have been smart.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if possible, No way :der:
:der:

I think he is wrong, I could not understand how a big contract would only be an 18 million dollar hit after 1 year post June 1. This site says it would be more like 100 million. But I agree with you again, makes no sense to trade him because who would be their QB?

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OTOH, Randy Gregory has outplayed Young in SF. I could see Gregory wanting to stick around and the feeling being mutual depending on Gregory's salary demands--which, let's face it, shouldn't be too high.
Oh it'll be High. High as fuck.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if possible, No way :der:
:der:
Yes a bit crazy however consider that Hurts got his man for OC in Brian Johnson and the two completely flopped.

Some people were guessing surgery for Hurts after the season because something was off, but I haven't heard of any planned surgeries...

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he is wrong, I could not understand how a big contract would only be an 18 million dollar hit after 1 year post June 1. This site says it would be more like 100 million. But I agree with you again, makes no sense to trade him because who would be their QB?

They paid him $24.304M in 2023, (signing bonus and salary combined). They accounted for $6.154M of that money in the 2023 cap. Any team trading for Hurts would be responsible for all the future guarantees. The Eagles would be cap responsible for the remaining $18.15M not yet accounted for. Obviously it's not going to happen unless someone makes the Eagles a massive trade offer. Trading Hurts is an unlikely scenario. The $100M+ figure is the cap hit to cut him. Hurts has $85.696M fully guaranteed over the next 3 seasons. 0.0% chance of him being cut.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They paid him $24.304M in 2023, (signing bonus and salary combined). They accounted for $6.154M of that money in the 2023 cap. Any team trading for Hurts would be responsible for all the future guarantees. The Eagles would be cap responsible for the remaining $18.15M not yet accounted for. Obviously it's not going to happen unless someone makes the Eagles a massive trade offer. Trading Hurts is an unlikely scenario. The $100M+ figure is the cap hit to cut him. Hurts has $85.696M fully guaranteed over the next 3 seasons. 0.0% chance of him being cut.

Thanks. I had assumed he got a massive bonus, they structured it well for the team. What about Kelce? When he retires won't it be just like he was cut and the bonus accelerates in that year for the Eagles cap?

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks. I had assumed he got a massive bonus, they structured it well for the team. What about Kelce? When he retires won't it be just like he was cut and the bonus accelerates in that year for the Eagles cap?
Kelce is retiring...but not before the new NFL year. He will be on the roster in March so he can be announced as a Post Jun 1 cut. He will count $12.328M towards the cap until Jun 1 when the Eagles will no longer have to account for his $1.5M bogus salary. There is an additional $13.438M previously paid to Kelce that the Eagles haven't accounted for yet. They will account for all of that in 2025.