• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 New Head Coach - Candidates and Favorites

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I could be mistaken, but I don’t think that’s the case. ;). But some coaches are better than others about letting assistant coaches out of their contract. I know that my nephew is still under contact with the Packers next year, so it’s unlikely he will move, even if Hackett gets another job.
Seems to me after 2020 lower level assistants can no longer be blocked by their current teams if pursuing/interviewing for a coordinator position.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texans fire David Culley and promptly interview Brian Flores ... Culley had zero chance in that situation, with the timing and that roster .. Just the fact that the Texans were competitive and won some games is miraculous ...

Flores reportedly butted heads with the Dolphins brass on, among other things, Tua and the QB situation .. the consensus destination for Watson was Miami - could Culley's quick firing and subsequent interview with Flores be an indication that Flores will be hired with the added perk of smoothing out the situation with Watson ??

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm probably out of touch, but I'd say the problem with Watson - is his potential suspension by the commissioner and whether crowds will cheer for him. Assuming, of course, he stays out of jail.

Meanwhile - Davis Mills - had a very shinny end to his season with 16 TDs to 3 interceptions and some wins the Texans didn't figure to have the talent to win.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Continued:
Packers coach Mike McCarthy brought Getsy to the NFL as a quality control coach in 2014. Two years later, he promoted Getsy to receivers coach and Jordy Nelson, Davante Adams and Randall Cobb all had at least 60 catches and 600 yards.

“My goal (as the new position coach) at the beginning was to just let them know I’m willing to do anything to help them be great and at the same time, I’m going to love them, too,” Getsy told the Jackson (Miss.) Clarion-Ledger in 2018.

Getsy left Green Bay after the 2017 season to join Moorhead at Mississippi State as offensive coordinator and receivers coach. Moorhead called the plays.

One year later, Getsy was back in Green Bay as the quarterbacks coach for LaFleur.

“He’s an excellent communicator, great teacher, great team guy,” LaFleur told reporters. “I think he sees the game the right away. He’s got such a great presence. Players respond to him so it’s a great opportunity for him (to interview with the Broncos) and another guy we would hate to lose, but would be happy for him and his family.”

Jumping from position coach to head coach is rare, but it worked for Philadelphia when it hired Packers quarterbacks coach Andy Reid in 1999, and it is working for Taylor, who also interviewed with the Broncos in January 2019, in Cincinnati.

An ancillary aspect of the Getsy interview: The Broncos could be interested in him as the new offensive coordinator if they hire a defensive-minded coach.

Rodgers told reporters Thursday that Getsy, who is also the passing game coordinator, “has a great energy about him.”

In Getsy’s three years, Rodgers leads the NFL with 111 touchdown passes and is second with a 109.2 passer rating. He is favored to win his fourth league MVP award.

“(Getsy has) all the qualities that you look for when you think about a leader,” LaFleur said. “Do I think he’s ready (to be a head coach)? Absolutely.”
The main red flag I see here is that as the OC he didn't call plays. The same reason I hesitate with Bieniemy...

And unfortunately, one has to take a lot about what is said about a candidate with a large grain of salt. The majority of interviewees are going to have players/coworkers gushing about them. For me it depends a lot on what kind of intelligence he brings and if he truly is a leader who can inspire the best from his players.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm probably out of touch, but I'd say the problem with Watson - is his potential suspension by the commissioner and whether crowds will cheer for him. Assuming, of course, he stays out of jail.

Meanwhile - Davis Mills - had a very shinny end to his season with 16 TDs to 3 interceptions and some wins the Texans didn't figure to have the talent to win.
I think fans can be very forgiving when a team starts winning .. for numerous reasons, I would prefer the Broncos not pursue Watson, but the way Tyreek Hill has been embraced is sort of stomach churning, but a reality ... With the Texans dramatic downward spiral, Watson's return could be viewed as a saving grace, despite all his off the field issues ..

Kareem Hunt had no problem assimilating in Cleveland either .. I think what Watson has going for him in terms of the fanbase is that, unlike Hunt, he has been a fixture there and has established himself with those fans - he was never really "the enemy" to Texans fans ..

I think it was a tough situation for Mills, who did great all things considered .. same goes for Culley

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think fans can be very forgiving when a team starts winning .. for numerous reasons, I would prefer the Broncos not pursue Watson, but the way Tyreek Hill has been embraced is sort of stomach churning, but a reality ... With the Texans dramatic downward spiral, Watson's return could be viewed as a saving grace, despite all his off the field issues ..

Kareem Hunt had no problem assimilating in Cleveland either .. I think what Watson has going for him in terms of the fanbase is that, unlike Hunt, he has been a fixture there and has established himself with those fans - he was never really "the enemy" to Texans fans ..

I think it was a tough situation for Mills, who did great all things considered .. same goes for Culley
I live in chiefs country. Everyone glosses over the child abuser that is Tyreek Hill. Even when I bring it up the response is always “yeah but….”

Also got to remember chiefs cut Hunt because he lied about the assault. Not the actual assualt.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If we miss out on Wilson would you be interested in trading for Davis Mills? I really fon’t think Rodgers is going to be available.

Could be an interesting option, and with no elite prospects in this years draft, I would be good with that as a way to improve the QB position. If we made that move it is likely the end of Drew Lock as you can’t have 2 QBs to develop.

I believe Drew took some big steps forward before this year, and I think he was the better QB in the preseason. Ultimately he couldn’t out play his play in 2020, and the coaching staff went with Teddy. Is a new coaching staff enough of a new start? Maybe, maybe not. If Drew gets another shot at starting in Denver it he will need a coaching staff that believes in him and an offense that will be built around his skill set. If this is the direction we are probably looking at another vet of some sort being brought in.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we miss out on Wilson would you be interested in trading for Davis Mills? I really fon’t think Rodgers is going to be available.

Could be an interesting option, and with no elite prospects in this years draft, I would be good with that as a way to improve the QB position. If we made that move it is likely the end of Drew Lock as you can’t have 2 QBs to develop.

I believe Drew took some big steps forward before this year, and I think he was the better QB in the preseason. Ultimately he couldn’t out play his play in 2020, and the coaching staff went with Teddy. Is a new coaching staff enough of a new start? Maybe, maybe not. If Drew gets another shot at starting in Denver it he will need a coaching staff that believes in him and an offense that will be built around his skill set. If this is the direction we are probably looking at another vet of some sort being brought in.
Mills had 16 TD to 10 INT over 13 games....... Mingo's stats are a bit off. Past 7 games he had 11 TD to 3 INT.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mills had 16 TD to 10 INT over 13 games....... Mingo's stats are a bit off. Past 7 games he had 11 TD to 3 INT.
Mingo would try to twist stats to help make his case? Please tell me no! ;)

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fish are still biting
fishing marlin GIF by The Telegraph

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted this on Twitter. If we hire Dan Quinn as HC him being the fav all along how is it different vs Elway tunnel vision with VJ? I would support hire but, I'd honestly have that feeling at the start.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted this on Twitter. If we hire Dan Quinn as HC him being the fav all along how is it different vs Elway tunnel vision with VJ? I would support hire but, I'd honestly have that feeling at the start.

Well Quinn at least has a reputation and a track record as a HC. Joseph wasn’t even a top tier DC when we took him.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hackett interviewed yesterday- a segment from The Athletic today:
In Hackett, we’re talking about a coach who changed the name of the red zone for the Packers to the gold zone, in an ode to one of his favorite characters from the “Austin Powers” series, Goldmember.

“We love his energy. It keeps us awake and alive, makes the meetings even more fun,” Packers wide receiver Davante Adams told reporters last season. “Everything he does, he brings his personality in — just kind of his Hackettness, we’ll call it. So we definitely appreciate that. It just makes coming to work a little bit more fun.”

Nick Provo played tight end in Hackett’s offense at Syracuse for two seasons. He then signed with Bills as an undrafted free agent in 2013, after Hackett had followed former Syracuse head coach Doug Marrone to Buffalo. Provo was asked by teammates ahead of training camp what they should expect from their young new offensive coordinator.

Stay on your toes, Provo told them.

“He definitely gets us more energized, having a coach out there who is passionate,” Provo told Syracuse.com during his rookie NFL training camp. “Because we come out here every day and sometimes you just don’t have that drive to go some days. He definitely gets you going.”

Hackett was profiled in two national outlets this past fall, Sports Illustrated and The Washington Post, and each featured a number of former players who quickly came to the conclusion, as former Jaguars and one-time Broncos backup Blake Bortles put it, that Hackett is “really not like the rest of them.

“I just really, really can’t express enough how important he is to our team in so many ways,” Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers told reporters last season. “He’s incredible in front of the room. He brings a lot of great energy that’s really important to meetings that can sometimes, without the energy he infuses, maybe get long at times. Never feels that way with him in front of the room … Hack has really embraced the idea of celebration together, as well, which I think is such a vital part of us coming together and being a close-knit group.”

For Hackett, creating an engaging environment hasn’t been just about being impressive in the meeting room. It’s also about challenging the players — and himself — conceptually on offense, blending the things he has learned during a lifetime of football with new ideas, including ones that come from his players. When Hackett got to Syracuse as the offensive coordinator in 2010, he came armed with a playbook born in the West Coast offense, much of it learned from his father, longtime NFL assistant Paul Hackett. But Bailey remembers being struck by just how willing and even eager Hackett was to incorporate other principles into his scheme.

“He’s not afraid to adapt,” said Bailey, who exploded for 1,251 total yards and seven touchdowns in Hackett’s offense as a senior in 2011. “He’s not afraid to push the envelope. He does some things that aren’t truly West Coast. He adapted and was one of the early guys onto the RPO scene in college. He pushed the envelope as far as being West Coast but going no-huddle. He’s not afraid at all to try new things and learn new things, and that’s refreshing to see as a player. As a player, you’re expected to learn and grow and adapt and change. So to see a coach doing the same thing is refreshing.”

Bailey, who is now an offensive coordinator at St. John’s College High School in Washington, D.C., and says he still draws on many of the things he learned from Hackett, used to sneak into quarterback meetings frequently during his senior year at Syracuse. Only they weren’t so much meetings as they were an open exchange of ideas. The conversations with quarterback Ryan Nassib, backup Charley Loeb and others on the depth chart, were never one-sided, Bailey said. Yes, Hackett was in control, but he also pushed players to challenge him.

wishful thinking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think it's Quinn that is the favorite, but just slightly over Hackett. If I could pick anyone it would be Bills (OC) Brian Daboll. I just like his aggressiveness on offense. And also the way he's helped developed Allen.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think it's Quinn that is the favorite, but just slightly over Hackett. If I could pick anyone it would be Bills (OC) Brian Daboll. I just like his aggressiveness on offense. And also the way he's helped developed Allen.

I am sure Daboll made a few GMs take a gander with last nights performance. He might be one that could get the most out of Lock.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not impressed with Quinn big game wilt. Please Paton rethink things.
I’m not seeing legit sources saying Quinn is the Chosen One. Has that been on local radio or something? Sounds more like rumor/speculation to me.

I really would be surprised if George went into the process with his mind made up. Doesn’t seem to fit his modus operandi