• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 NBA regular season thread

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is really hilarious to me is that Wiseman’s per 36 stats were actually pretty comparable to Garland’s last season. And blew away Garland’s rookie numbers. They had Almost identical scoring and true shooting stats.

But it is somehow crazy to think Wiseman might have had more (or at least comparable) trade value than Garland did last summer?

GTFO.

Had Wiseman been drafted by a bad team able to give him a ton of minutes (like most number 2 picks are) his stats probably would have looked a lot like Garland’s last year. And most expected him to take a jump this year. It obviously didn’t happen because he is hurt.

And no, I don’t think any scenario would lead to him being as good as Garland has been THIS YEAR.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is really hilarious to me is that Wiseman’s per 36 stats were actually pretty comparable to Garland’s last season. And blew away Garland’s rookie numbers. They had Almost identical scoring and true shooting stats.

But it is somehow crazy to think Wiseman might have had more (or at least comparable) trade value than Garland did last summer?

GTFO.

Had Wiseman been drafted by a bad team able to give him a ton of minutes (like most number 2 picks are) his stats probably would have looked a lot like Garland’s last year. And most expected him to take a jump this year. It obviously didn’t happen because he is hurt.

And no, I don’t think any scenario would lead to him being as good as Garland has been THIS YEAR.

Hopefully Wiseman can get back on the court. Never like seeing injuries.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love this Team as much as the one in 2018.

No excuses.

Just scrap to the end.

Still, watch OKC get a tio 3 pick....lol

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No excuses.

Just scrap to the end.

No PG and Kawhi and they still seem to bring it every night. No easy out for anyone.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No excuses.

Just scrap to the end.

We can only hope! That would be a really good thing for the entire civilized world, probably even part of the uncivilized too.

ElPatron1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure they are in a very good place. And far ahead of where anyone reasonably expected they would be.

My point is that I would still bet against any young core in a non-destination market to win a title, because it is really hard to do that.

And Wiggy is so pathetic.

Dude literally bookmarks my posts so he can come back years later when I do get something wrong.

Pretty funny.

Didn't Mill just win last year? The top teams now look like the Suns, Memphis, GS, aren't really destination cities for NBA players. I would bet more on those teams, over say NY and LA.

Teams building through the draft has been more successful than slapping teams together this last decade. You hit you hit and can be good for a long time. Steph/Green/Thompson....Deven Booker/Ayton....Ja Marant Memphis...Cavs now have Mobely and Garland, plus Allen was a great pickup...As one of the 3rd youngest teams in the NBA they have a very good shot at winning a championship

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't Mill just win last year? The top teams now look like the Suns, Memphis, GS, aren't really destination cities for NBA players. I would bet more on those teams, over say NY and LA.

Teams building through the draft has been more successful than slapping teams together this last decade. You hit you hit and can be good for a long time. Steph/Green/Thompson....Deven Booker/Ayton....Ja Marant Memphis...Cavs now have Mobely and Garland, plus Allen was a great pickup...As one of the 3rd youngest teams in the NBA they have a very good shot at winning a championship

Of course.

This has been an on going discussion over the years.

No, Golden State and Phoenix aren’t destination markets, but they aren’t markets players would actively avoid either.

Cleveland and Milwaukee are.

The only way that has worked for a team like those to win (or even seriously contend) is to draft a superstar and pair them with at least a couple other really good players, either via draft or trade.

So yeah, still betting against it.

Memphis and Phoenix both more likely. Memphis because they have their superstar, Phoenix because they are already a legit contender.

If Mobley becomes a true superstar?

Sure, they have a chance, but like I said, I am not betting on it. So I think you saying “very good chance” is a strong exaggeration.

ElPatron1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course.

This has been an on going discussion over the years.

No, Golden State and Phoenix aren’t destination markets, but they aren’t markets players would actively avoid either.

Cleveland and Milwaukee are.

The only way that has worked for a team like those to win (or even seriously contend) is to draft a superstar and pair them with at least a couple other really good players.

So yeah, still betting against it.

Memphis and Phoenix both more likely. Memphis because they have their superstar, Phoenix because they are already a legit contender.

Who is the best free agent signing in Memphis/Phoenix has ever signed?

Cleveland has proven to be pretty good at drafting. I wouldn't say they are actively avoided like Orlando/Milwaukee either. All teams star players for the most part move around. The Cavs have signed their fair share of stars over the last decade.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cavs have signed their fair share of stars over the last decade.

Mark Wahlberg Reaction GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyrie, Love, Allen, Lebron where all signed as free agents

How many players are teams supposed to sign?

Kyrie was drafted, Love was traded for (did re-sign), Allen was traded for, Lebron was originally drafted, then came back making him the only one the Cavs signed as an FA from another team.

ElPatron1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyrie was drafted, Love was traded for (did re-sign), Allen was traded for, Lebron was originally drafted, then came back making him the only one the Cavs signed as an FA from another team.

Allen resigned. I am aware you need to draft well, but that is true for almost every team. He said he would bet on the major markets, but in the last 10 years NY has 0, Boston has 0 and LA has 1. So out of the last 10 years his bet would have been wrong 70% of the time, and it looks like an even worse bet going forward imo

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is the best free agent signing in Memphis/Phoenix has ever signed?

Cleveland has proven to be pretty good at drafting. I wouldn't say they are actively avoided like Orlando/Milwaukee either. All teams star players for the most part move around. The Cavs have signed their fair share of stars over the last decade.

That isn’t the point

My assertion is that cold weather cities in non-major markets are bottom tier. Those cities don’t sign difference makers in free agency.

And no. The Cavs have signed 1 star. It was LeBron returning home. That was the exception to the rule.

Wade?

You serious?

He was so far past his prime by that point. That is like the Lakers signing Melo this year.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Allen resigned. I am aware you need to draft well, but that is true for almost every team. He said he would bet on the major markets, but in the last 10 years NY has 0, Boston has 0 and LA has 1. So out of the last 10 years his bet would have been wrong 70% of the time, and it looks like an even worse bet going forward imo

Allen signed because the Cavs made him a qualifying offer making him an RFA. Of course he signed, everyone does. The rest of your post has nothing to with my post.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No I didn’t.

I said would bet against the bottom tier markets.

Unless they land a true superstar which is very hard to do.

ElPatron1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That isn’t the point

My assertion is that cold weather cities in non-major markets are bottom tier. Those cities don’t sign difference makers in free agency.

And no. The Cavs have signed 1 star. It was LeBron returning home. That was the exception to the rule.

Wade?

You serious?

He was so far past his prime by that point. That is like the Lakers signing Melo this year.

So how about warm weather non-market cities? Orlando? Phoenix? Clippers? Pelicans? Hornets? All 0 championships

Signing players isn't as important as you think compared to drafting a superstar

Did the lakers have the most success from drafting Kobe or adding Lebron?

Did the Spurs have their success from drafting?

Bulls from MJ?

Dallas with Dirk

Heat from Wade?

GS from Curry?

Cavs with Kyrie

It all comes down to the draft, and then picking up a nice piece to compliment that player. The main star is almost always drafted, no matter what market. Short term success has been met by just throwing stars together, but long term dynasties were typically built through the draft in the last 20 years.

It's not hard to add players once you land a star

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So how about warm weather non-market cities? Orlando? Phoenix? Clippers? Pelicans? Hornets? All 0 championships

Signing players isn't as important as you think compared to drafting a superstar

Did the lakers have the most success from drafting Kobe or adding Lebron?

Did the Spurs have their success from drafting?

Bulls from MJ?

Dallas with Dirk

Heat from Wade?

GS from Curry?

It all comes down to the draft, and then picking up a nice piece to compliment that player. The main star is almost always drafted, no matter what market. Short term success has been met by just throwing stars together, but long term dynasties were typically built through the draft in the last 20 years.

Of course drafting is way more important. In most cases the bulk of the core is going to come from the draft.

And some of those teams you mentioned have signed prime superstars in free agency. Being in a semi attractive city is an advantage.

Having an advantage doesn’t mean you are going to win a ring.

But having a disadvantage usually means you won’t.

Bucks and Cavs both bucked the trend. Both had some unexpected things go their way to make it happen.

ElPatron1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course drafting is way more important.

Yeah, and some of those teams have signed prime superstars in free agency.

Having an advantage doesn’t mean you are going to win a ring.

But having a disadvantage usually means you won’t.

Bucks and Cavs both bucked the trend. Both had some unexpected things go their way to make it happen.

Raptors as well

Outside of Clippers landing Kawhi none in that list have really signed prime superstars

I agree with that, but i will say the draft alone creates dynasties so having that disadvantage which most of the NBA has is not a large excuse for being bad anymore imo

More warm weather non major markets don't have championships than cold markets...I forgot OKC hasn't won either

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raptors as well

Outside of Clippers landing Kawhi none in that list have really signed prime superstars

I agree with that, but i will say the draft alone creates dynasties so having that disadvantage which most of the NBA has is not a large excuse for being bad anymore imo

More warm weather non major markets don't have championships than cold markets...I forgot OKC hasn't won either

Orlando signed Tracy McGrady.

I guess before he was a superstar, but that was very predictable given how good he was in Toronto.