• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 LA Rams Training Camp Thread

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw, the Rams will have 53M in cap space next year ( almost 60M if you count Donald's pay for next season ).

If he truly wants 20M and that's what it takes to sign him, that 1/3 of their cap spent on a DT ( and how has that worked for the Dolphins? ).

Assuming Johnson wants a contract close to what he's making this season, that's another 17M gone.

That leaves a whopping 23M to sign everyone else, and Ogletree will take a huge chunk of that.

Please tell me how that makes any sense? It hasn't worked for the Dolphins, what makes you think it will be different with Donald?

RamsFan88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,416.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw, the Rams will have 53M in cap space next year ( almost 60M if you count Donald's pay for next season ).

If he truly wants 20M and that's what it takes to sign him, that 1/3 of their cap spent on a DT ( and how has that worked for the Dolphins? ).

Assuming Johnson wants a contract close to what he's making this season, that's another 17M gone.

That leaves a whopping 23M to sign everyone else, and Ogletree will take a huge chunk of that.

Please tell me how that makes any sense? It hasn't worked for the Dolphins, what makes you think it will be different with Donald?

Well, the Dolphins made the playoffs last year, so...

Plus the Rams are going to have more cap room than that if they cut certain players and restructure other contracts (Barron and Quinn come to mind), so the team will be able to keep most of the core guys. Why you think the free agents to be that you listed will need max contracts is beyond me. Johnson probably isn't coming back, Ogletree isn't a top 10 MLB, Watkins might command a contract that is somewhere in the $35-40 million range, but that's still manageable.

Our defense and our team gets worse if Donald leaves, not better. You don't screw over a future HOF player to retain decent players. That kind of mindset if why the Rams have been a garbage franchise for the past decade.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This whole affair started with Snisher giving out ridiculous contracts and extensions to undeserving players like Austin and Barron to name a few. Not honoring your contract is just as stupid and AD decided he'd behave like his FO by not honoring the CONTRACT he signed which is also stupid. If they get a deal done and he comes back and either gets hurt or plays poorly, then he'll look like the bigger IDIOT and the FO wins-AGAIN.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This AD contract is really "damned if we do and damned if we don't"

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This whole affair started with Snisher giving out ridiculous contracts and extensions to undeserving players like Austin and Barron to name a few. Not honoring your contract is just as stupid and AD decided he'd behave like his FO by not honoring the CONTRACT he signed which is also stupid. If they get a deal done and he comes back and either gets hurt or plays poorly, then he'll look like the bigger IDIOT and the FO wins-AGAIN.
Right, the Rams have a recent history of trying to get players (Whether we agree or not) early extensions with Quinn and Austin both players in with 3 years of service who's 5th year was picked up by the team.

Hard to say either of those worked out for the Rams since those two signed early deals. Both have been injured or ineffective since getting early deals done... And note, neither of those two were no shows, but both have missed plenty of action for injuries.

It's enough to make any GM or VP of Ops leery in allocating that much cap space to one Defensive Tackle.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This AD contract is really "damned if we do and damned if we don't"
I'm just beginning to feel more damned if we do...

Trade the man, let him do his thing in a 4-3, and we can move on with high picks and the extra cap space.

Just in the next two seasons alone we need to consider signing...

• Watkins
  • Ogletree
  • T.Johnson
  • Barwin
  • Alexander
  • Easley
  • Joyner
  • Westbrooks
  • Sullivan
  • McQuaide
  • Roby-Coleman
  • Gurley (Team option, could push to '20)
  • Saffold
  • Havenstein
  • Mannion
  • Brown
  • Donnal
  • Wichman
  • Hager
  • I. Johnson
And that's just the UFA in the next two seasons. Sure there will be some attrition with those dudes by talented Rookies coming in on the cheap, but we still will need cap space to sign those guys and any free agents that we may want.

If AD was the best player in the the league at a ball skill position, like QB, WR, LB or CB I can justify paying him like the best player in the league, but he is a freaking DT in a 3-4 and he is unproven in that role.

Trade him and get picks, so if Goff does become a franchise QB, as he was selected to be, we can give him that early deal making him a Ram for a long time.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the idea. Dareus, and make it a version of the old Lawrence Welk trade: A one, a two, and a three.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Continue the Buffalo supply route, lol? AD for Dareus and a pick?
tenor.gif

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Being a Bills fan (as the local team), there had been suggestions that Dareus might be traded (but no real rumors). Dareus was sent home from their week 3 preseason game for violating a team rule, so he could be on the outs with the new staff.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being a Bills fan (as the local team), there had been suggestions that Dareus might be traded (but no real rumors). Dareus was sent home from their week 3 preseason game for violating a team rule, so he could be on the outs with the new staff.
You see this is what I'm talking about, there are dudes who can star at DT who will create all sorts of havoc and they wont break the bank, plus a high pick or two could help us feed the pipeline for the iffy talent on the Roster.

So where are we if Goff struggles? With additional picks, we could have a shot at one of these QB's: S. Darnell, J. Rosen or J. Allen, J. Browning...

Or if TJ gets paid elsewhere in Free Agency we can draft first round talent at CB....

There are just some talented DT's that could star in Wade's system leaving cap space for other talent we don't want leaving the team or even top tier talent we may want to add to the team...

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That said, I was one extension away from ponying up for an AD game jersey.

Now my feelings have changed, if we end up signing Watkins to a long term deal, that will be my next jersey no matter how the AD saga ends...

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is pretty cool!!!
Rams strongest at receiver position for first time in a long time http://es.pn/2iWzJVV
via @ESPN App http://es.pn/app
Just got done reading the story to find your post about it LTRF....

Good stuff, but is it fluff?

My Bruins had to come up with the second greatest comeback in College Football of all time to get a win in their opener yesterday being down 44-17 early in the fourth quarter (And it was 41-10 very late in the third!) They will be in trouble all season because they just don't have the talent in the trenches. (Sound familiar?)

Well that was their story last year too as well as our Rams, hopefully the Rams have done something to help their situation in the trenches (We know they made some moves) but it would be a lot easier if we had that All Pro Defensive Tackle sticking to the deal he signed while his Agent and the Rams FO worked out a better one...

Either way, I'll take a win coming out of Week 1, since we've only won 2 openers in the last decade. (Winning 2 of the last 4 doesn't sound that bad until you look at the other 6 losses over the last 10 seasons)

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You see this is what I'm talking about, there are dudes who can star at DT who will create all sorts of havoc and they wont break the bank, plus a high pick or two could help us feed the pipeline for the iffy talent on the Roster.

So where are we if Goff struggles? With additional picks, we could have a shot at one of these QB's: S. Darnell, J. Rosen or J. Allen, J. Browning...

Or if TJ gets paid elsewhere in Free Agency we can draft first round talent at CB....

There are just some talented DT's that could star in Wade's system leaving cap space for other talent we don't want leaving the team or even top tier talent we may want to add to the team...

No love for the senior QBs; Rudolph, Falk, Mayfield? Or Lamar Jackson?

Not sure the Rams will need to use additional picks to get a QB prospect, especially if Goff and Mannion fail this year (which would lead to a terrible record). Trading multiple picks to move up for a QB would be tough to swallow for the 2nd time in 3 years.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No love for the senior QBs; Rudolph, Falk, Mayfield? Or Lamar Jackson?

Not sure the Rams will need to use additional picks to get a QB prospect, especially if Goff and Mannion fail this year (which would lead to a terrible record). Trading multiple picks to move up for a QB would be tough to swallow for the 2nd time in 3 years.
Not too many have the Rams, except us Rams' fans, have us winning much more than 4 games this year.

Considering that is the bar, it would take an epic fail for the Rams to go sour on Goff or if they win in spite of Goff and they decided to move on.

With that in mind, the Rams could be in the top 5 of picks and there could be Darnold, Rosen, Allen and Browning. I'm not sure all go to the draft, but a move up from say 5 to get the QB you want might not be that bad of a price... (Goodness shops, I don't even like typing that out, but we are talking about replacing the freshly drafted QB, so it's a worse case scenario) But this is the year to do it, IMO if there are still lingering doubts at QB for the Rams by years end.

Hopefully Goff disproves all doubters, and should they trade AD, they get a high draft pick and we get one of those top CB's who can step right in. Then we can let Tru go and get a high comp pick for him in '20.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are some strong defensive targets that are currently projected in the early first round:

Arden Key, DE LSU
Harold Landry, OLB, Boston College
Derwin James, SS, FSU
Christian Wilkins, DT, Clemson
Tarvarus McFadden, CB, FSU
Minkah Fitzpatrick, FS, Alabama
etc

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Decisions, decisions. Apparently the 2018 draft is shaping-up to be a talent-laden one.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are some strong defensive targets that are currently projected in the early first round:

Arden Key, DE LSU
Harold Landry, OLB, Boston College
Derwin James, SS, FSU
Christian Wilkins, DT, Clemson
Tarvarus McFadden, CB, FSU
Minkah Fitzpatrick, FS, Alabama
etc

That FSU defense is redonk. Dline is stupid deep and the secondary is... well redonk

Doubt that McFadden will be a top 15 pick. Could be wrong. Derrrrrwin will probably be a top 5 pick. Depends on the kool aid being passed out on QBs come FEB 2018.

Still early