• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 News & Transactions

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on man, you know exactly. Going from the home runniest park in the league to the least home runniest park would probably take a few dingers away, and reduce his SLG and OPS.

Not saying he's no good but he'd be a shitty fielding, low OBP, high strikeout guy here. We don't need that at all. He's Rob Deer, or Ron Kittle...or more recently Adam Dunn, but with even worse OBP because no walks. At least Dunn got a few of those.
That caused me to dig up some stuff on his splits:

Home - .224/.288/.498
Road - .253/.302/.503

At AT&T (I know, SSS) - .300/.417/.900 in 10 at-bats

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That caused me to dig up some stuff on his splits:

Home - .224/.288/.498
Road - .253/.302/.503

At AT&T (I know, SSS) - .300/.417/.900 in 10 at-bats

So you think I'm wrong about what playing at AT&T would do for Duvall? Ok then.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you think I'm wrong about what playing at AT&T would do for Duvall? Ok then.
Not necessarily, just thought it was interesting to see that his home/road splits aren't what I was expecting after your post. I agree that the tendency, on a lesser scale than Coors Field, Great American skews the numbers quite a bit in hitter's favor. He actually did a bit better on the road than home. Granted, many of those road games are in NL Central parks. He did poorly in Wrigley and PNC but did great at Busch and Miller.

I guess that my point is that he probably as awful as you may think he would be with SF, offensively. Defensively, that is a whole other subject. I don't know how to measure defensive metrics so I don't know how he would compare to Angel Pagan.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not necessarily, just thought it was interesting to see that his home/road splits aren't what I was expecting after your post. I agree that the tendency, on a lesser scale than Coors Field, Great American skews the numbers quite a bit in hitter's favor. He actually did a bit better on the road than home. Granted, many of those road games are in NL Central parks. He did poorly in Wrigley and PNC but did great at Busch and Miller.

I guess that my point is that he probably as awful as you may think he would be with SF, offensively. Defensively, that is a whole other subject. I don't know how to measure defensive metrics so I don't know how he would compare to Angel Pagan.

I'm just saying, his hitting numbers would have to be worse here. His OBP is already crap and he strikes out way too much. He hits a lot of HRs (just like Adam Dunn), and he would hit less here. He is a terrible fielder (I'm not a deep stats guy but I'm sure they would agree). In other words, I don't miss him one bit.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on man, you know exactly. Going from the home runniest park in the league to the least home runniest park would probably take a few dingers away, and reduce his SLG and OPS.

Not saying he's no good but he'd be a shitty fielding, low OBP, high strikeout guy here. We don't need that at all. He's Rob Deer, or Ron Kittle...or more recently Adam Dunn, but with even worse OBP because no walks. At least Dunn got a few of those.

Actually, his defense was quite good. There isn't a single defensive metric I completely trust, but ALL of them rate Duvall as above average in LF.

Pagan's vary, depending which you look at.

He'd probably have a similar line honestly, maybe 20-25 homers. I don't completely trust this chart because I don't think it take into account factors like weather (which honestly are the biggest factor of suppressing homers in AT&T), but here is his homerun spray chart

overlay_1475116398_258192559.jpg

Reactions: LHG

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, his defense was quite good. There isn't a single defensive metric I completely trust, but ALL of them rate Duvall as above average in LF.

Pagan's vary, depending which you look at.

He'd probably have a similar line honestly, maybe 20-25 homers. I don't completely trust this chart because I don't think it take into account factors like weather (which honestly are the biggest factor of suppressing homers in AT&T), but here is his homerun spray chart

overlay_1475116398_258192559.jpg

Thanks, I stand corrected on his D. I had a different impression but I guess I was wrong.

WHat is there to say, he's not on the team. Williamson and Parker are, let's see if they can be as good.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks, I stand corrected on his D. I had a different impression but I guess I was wrong.

WHat is there to say, he's not on the team. Williamson and Parker are, let's see if they can be as good.
I think Parker would be similar, given the chance. Williamson, however, I think could be better than either. However, either needs to get a decent shot at starting to find out if that is correct.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He was terrible at 3rd base, and the Giants seemed really hesitant to try him in the OF, so it's understandable. I was under the same impression until this discussion came up around the trade deadline and I looked at his metrics. The Giants were just wrong about him (defensively).

I agree with LGH re: Williamson. I think he could be a solid all-around player if they gave him a chance.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Parker would be similar, given the chance. Williamson, however, I think could be better than either. However, either needs to get a decent shot at starting to find out if that is correct.

At least one of them should get a shot next year

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Give one of them the job for the season. Play decent defense. And hit the crap out of the ball. Don't care about K's (unless they go all McGehee or HicKs). Just hit and drive in some runs.

Duvall's 99 RBI may be tainted by the small yard he plays in, but the top Giant has like 70 RBI's, right? We need a hitter who can drive in runs. Put the fear of the Lord in opposing pitchers. No current Giant hitter even phases opposing pitchers. None. And they are showing it, again, tonight.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This second half shows what 2010 woulda been like if we didn't have a lockdown bullpen (then).

If we had just played .500 ball in the second half we'd be at 90+ wins right now. :tsk:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK. That right there? What just happened to Crawford? That's some 5th level baseball gods hate for the Giants.

That's some Brooks Conrad shit right there.

Jesus.

Edit: the Shark says NO PROBLEM

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This AL wildcard game is discussion 1-A of why we need to get rid of the closer term and saves.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This AL wildcard game is discussion 1-A of why we need to get rid of the closer term and saves.

How did Showalter, one of the best in the game, not get Britton in the game at all? 11 innings, never put him in.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did Showalter, one of the best in the game, not get Britton in the game at all? 11 innings, never put him in.

I have a very strong opinion about bullpen usage (which I'm happy to discuss, but no one cares lol), but that was just flat out bad managing whether you are old-school or new school. Can't really defend that with any serious claims.

Unfortunately, I think some light is being taken away from Edwin Encarnacion. The dude just hit a walk-off 3-run bomb in an elimination game! That was awesome! But I can't get over how bad the was for Buck.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a very strong opinion about bullpen usage (which I'm happy to discuss, but no one cares lol), but that was just flat out bad managing whether you are old-school or new school. Can't really defend that with any serious claims.

Unfortunately, I think some light is being taken away from Edwin Encarnacion. The dude just hit a walk-off 3-run bomb in an elimination game! That was awesome! But I can't get over how bad the was for Buck.
How about how a couple of former Giant farmhands helped keep the Orioles off the boards for the Blue Jays?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about how a couple of former Giant farmhands helped keep the Orioles off the boards for the Blue Jays?

Pretty cool to see Biagini pitch. He was pumping 95+ out there with location. Don't fault the Giants for losing him, but damn we could use that.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just proves it, no one is perfect. Showalter flat out whiffed it. He knows it. He's kicking himself right now.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty cool to see Biagini pitch. He was pumping 95+ out there with location. Don't fault the Giants for losing him, but damn we could use that.
I had hoped the Giants would have protected him last offseason but there was a crunch in how many pitchers were worth protecting. This year, not so much.