• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 News & Transactions

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One last trade for the season, looks like we're getting Gordon Beckham. Can't be good news for Nunez.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, a really goofy acquisition when you compare Gillaspie with Beckham. Consider:

Gillaspie on the season - .243/.287/.407
Beckham on the season - .217/.300/.354

Gillaspie versus lefties - .250/.250/.400 in 20 at-bats
Beckham versus lefties - .233/.321/.384 in 73 at-bats

Gillaspie versus righties - .242/.292/.408 in 157 at-bats
Beckham versus righties - .210/.291/.341 in 167 at-bats

He is 2 for 4 with a home run at AT&T this year. Maybe that is why they got him.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No idea why KT or EA or Gonner wouldn't be adequate replacements, but at least we didn't give up anything (literally - it is a cash trade)

But we still need to make room for him on the 40...

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No idea why KT or EA or Gonner wouldn't be adequate replacements, but at least we didn't give up anything (literally - it is a cash trade)

But we still need to make room for him on the 40...
Didn't even think about this. They won't make room for Ishikawa or Olivo but they will for Beckham?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or Tomlinson or EA for that matter.
I was thinking of the guy who's gotten most of the playing time at 3rd this year. But yes, either of these two would be just as good (if not better) than Beckham.
They just better not re-sign this guy after the season.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at Matt Reynolds' 2016 season, here's what he did at 4 different levels (indy, AA, AAA, MLB): 54 games, 46.7 innings pitched, 27 hits allowed, 9 earned runs, 15 walks, 54 strikeouts, 0.900 WHIP, 1.74 ERA
Take away his last game, where Bochy left him in to end his season, his WHIP would be 0.793 and his ERA would be 0.96.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at that last game Reynolds pitched in, what was going on in that game? That loss has to be on Bochy. The Giants were down by 1 run when Reynolds came in. The first batter gets on with a bunt single. No problem. The second batter then hits a double. You've got a deep bullpen, all games are precious. Warm up someone in the bullpen. Go out to the mound and have a conference. Since Myers was intentionally walked, use that to buy time for Kontos. Why leave in Reynolds on his one off night? Bochy loves the situational lefty. Why is Reynolds suddenly being used for all batters?

Sorry guys, I'll drop it after this post but that game didn't make a whole lot of sense considering Bochy's arsenal and his typical use of the bullpen. Reynolds got hosed twice within a week.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at that last game Reynolds pitched in, what was going on in that game? That loss has to be on Bochy. The Giants were down by 1 run when Reynolds came in. The first batter gets on with a bunt single. No problem. The second batter then hits a double. You've got a deep bullpen, all games are precious. Warm up someone in the bullpen. Go out to the mound and have a conference. Since Myers was intentionally walked, use that to buy time for Kontos. Why leave in Reynolds on his one off night? Bochy loves the situational lefty. Why is Reynolds suddenly being used for all batters?

Sorry guys, I'll drop it after this post but that game didn't make a whole lot of sense considering Bochy's arsenal and his typical use of the bullpen. Reynolds got hosed twice within a week.
We all would agree, I think, that we would rather have Bochy as the Giants manager than just about anyone else in the game. But that does not mean he is perfect. There have been a lot of actions he has taken these last few months that just don't make sense.

Reactions: LHG

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've been ragging on him for stuff like this all month. This has been his worst season at the helm, and has lost his fair share of games.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all would agree, I think, that we would rather have Bochy as the Giants manager than just about anyone else in the game. But that does not mean he is perfect. There have been a lot of actions he has taken these last few months that just don't make sense.

I've been ragging on him for stuff like this all month. This has been his worst season at the helm, and has lost his fair share of games.
Yes, Bochy has been off this season but, also yes, I'd prefer him to anyone else. He's more than earned the opportunity to make multiple mistakes and still be with the team.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, Bochy has been off this season but, also yes, I'd prefer him to anyone else. He's more than earned the opportunity to make multiple mistakes and still be with the team.

A great deal is on Noggin, leaving pitchers in too long, taking them out too early, etc. Seemingly every button he has been pushing has backfired. When it works, he is a genius. When it doesn't, well, you know.

The bulk of this is on the under-performing players. The hitters have not hit. No excuse. They collectively fell off a cliff in the 2nd half. If they had maintained the run scoring pace of the first half, which wasn't that great, we'd be in much better shape. Of course, injuries played a huge part in that.

The pitchers have not pitched well, at least the relievers. I started to track the first batter walks for the relievers, but I gave up, it was too depressing.

The starting pitching has been better than last year, in terms of ERA and also in terms of going deeper into games, which is what we wanted.

But the bullpen has been a disaster. Blown saves. Too few shut down innings. The roles are not defined, and Noggin and Rags seem to be searching for the next Core Four, and no one aside from Law has stepped up.

The continual running KCYa out there has been beyond puzzling. It is not Casilla's pitching, it is between his ears at this point. Looks like Romo may step up again, but he is so fragile. Not many miles left on that slider arm. I am noticing that a few years ago, he threw 80% sliders, not it is about 50% or lower. Is that an arm problem? Or a pitching adjustment?

The fielding has been solid, though.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A great deal is on Noggin, leaving pitchers in too long, taking them out too early, etc. Seemingly every button he has been pushing has backfired. When it works, he is a genius. When it doesn't, well, you know.

The bulk of this is on the under-performing players. The hitters have not hit. No excuse. They collectively fell off a cliff in the 2nd half. If they had maintained the run scoring pace of the first half, which wasn't that great, we'd be in much better shape. Of course, injuries played a huge part in that.

The pitchers have not pitched well, at least the relievers. I started to track the first batter walks for the relievers, but I gave up, it was too depressing.

The starting pitching has been better than last year, in terms of ERA and also in terms of going deeper into games, which is what we wanted.

But the bullpen has been a disaster. Blown saves. Too few shut down innings. The roles are not defined, and Noggin and Rags seem to be searching for the next Core Four, and no one aside from Law has stepped up.

The continual running KCYa out there has been beyond puzzling. It is not Casilla's pitching, it is between his ears at this point. Looks like Romo may step up again, but he is so fragile. Not many miles left on that slider arm. I am noticing that a few years ago, he threw 80% sliders, not it is about 50% or lower. Is that an arm problem? Or a pitching adjustment?

The fielding has been solid, though.
Stokes, I will agree with everything you said, except for the injury part. The only position players to be placed on the disabled list in the 2nd half are Mac Williamson and Gregor Blanco. Joe Panik and Hunter Pence missed the first 11 and 13 games, respectively, of the 2nd half before being activated. I don't think the lack of offense could be blamed on injuries, unless a lot of guys are playing with some undisclosed injuries.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stokes, I will agree with everything you said, except for the injury part. The only position players to be placed on the disabled list in the 2nd half are Mac Williamson and Gregor Blanco. Joe Panik and Hunter Pence missed the first 11 and 13 games, respectively, of the 2nd half before being activated. I don't think the lack of offense could be blamed on injuries, unless a lot of guys are playing with some undisclosed injuries.

Agreed. Still, I wonder whether Panik and Pence were 100% when coming back. There was a growing sense of desperation, and they came back. Too soon?

Those are two key players, both offensively and defensively. But other teams have been dealing with worse injury issues, and still not fallen off the proverbial cliff.

Whoever plays, needs to play. The players have not played well. And Noggin has had his own contributions to this with some of his decisions.

It is a team thing.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adam Duvall now hitting .242/.295/.501 with 33 home runs, 100 RBIs, 39 walks and 156 strikeouts. That on base is brutal but his slugging in stunning. Wonder how those numbers would have looked with SF.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adam Duvall now hitting .242/.295/.501 with 33 home runs, 100 RBIs, 39 walks and 156 strikeouts. That on base is brutal but his slugging in stunning. Wonder how those numbers would have looked with SF.

Come on man, you know exactly. Going from the home runniest park in the league to the least home runniest park would probably take a few dingers away, and reduce his SLG and OPS.

Not saying he's no good but he'd be a shitty fielding, low OBP, high strikeout guy here. We don't need that at all. He's Rob Deer, or Ron Kittle...or more recently Adam Dunn, but with even worse OBP because no walks. At least Dunn got a few of those.