• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 News & Transactions

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's true that since Brown has options it makes him a candidate, like Kelby, to be an odd man out. I just don't see it at this time. Who plays catcher when Buster is away at the WBC should be a decent indicator.

Adrianza signed an interesting deal with the Giants. If he's in the majors, he makes $600K. But if he's in the minors, he can make $300K. That gives him incentive to stay with the Giants if he get's DFA'd, so he still makes decent salary. That puts him on the bubble for me, he has been protected by not having options the last couple years, but this year there's a better possibility he stays if he's cut.
If Fedorwicz (or Pinto) make the team, then someone has to be dfa'd. I guess that makes Adrianza a good candidate. But if Rollins or Ruggiano also make the team, someone else has to come off the 40 man.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Fedorwicz (or Pinto) make the team, then someone has to be dfa'd. I guess that makes Adrianza a good candidate. But if Rollins or Ruggiano also make the team, someone else has to come off the 40 man.

Another point I forgot to make. So while Brown may not be getting curbed, someone else is.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Former farmhands in the transaction wire: Erik Cordier signed a minor league deal with the Red Sox and Luis Castillo (the pitcher, not the 2nd baseman) was shipped in the Straily deal from Miami to Cincinnati. The Reds seem to like our products.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Former farmhands in the transaction wire: Erik Cordier signed a minor league deal with the Red Sox and Luis Castillo (the pitcher, not the 2nd baseman) was shipped in the Straily deal from Miami to Cincinnati. The Reds seem to like our products.

Miami has traded Luis Castillo like 3 times since they've acquired him from us.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mella and Castillo were 2 of my favorite lower level arms back in the 2013/2014 seasons too.

Mella has really fallen off since leaving the Giants. Walk rate went way up, hit rate went way up, K rate went way down. I personally fear he's injured.

Castillo has more or less enjoyed a solid rise is status.

Both are on the 40-man roster.

fullxtension

Sensei
Hoopla Cash
$ 21,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SAN FRANCISCO — The Giants announced a one-year deal with catcher Nick Hundley on Tuesday, giving them a veteran option behind Buster Posey.

Hundley got a Major League deal worth $2 million, putting him in pole position in the battle to be the backup catcher. The 33-year-old has spent nine seasons in the big leagues, the majority of them with the Padres. He hit .260 with 10 homers last season with the Rockies.

Hundley getting a major league deal means he’s likely ticketed for an Opening Day job, ousting incumbent Trevor Brown, who spent all of 2016 in the big leagues. Brown hit .237 with five homers in his first full big league season, but the Giants had quietly been looking for a more experienced option who could allow Brown — 25 years old and still relatively new to catching — to get additional seasoning in Triple-A.

Giants sign veteran catcher Nick Hundley