• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016/2017 Off-Season Thread

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are the guys on the 40 and their 2017 status...

Under contract
Cain
Posey
Pence
Cueto
Samardzjia
Bumgarner
Belt
Crawford
Span

Team control
Panik
Heston
Strickland
Adrianza
Osich
Tomlinson
Brown
Blach
Black
Blackburn
Crick
Gregorio
Hernandez
Law
Okert
Parker
Stratton
Suarez
Williamson

Team option
Moore

Arbitration eligible
Nunez (A3)
Reynolds (A3)
Smith (A2)
Kontos (A2)
Gillaspie (A2)
Gearrin (A1)

Free Agents
Peavy
Pagan
Romo
Casilla
Lopez
Blanco
Nathan

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was really hoping, in spite of my ire after today's game, to wait on this until being officially eliminated from the playoffs (or eliminated in the playoffs). But, since we are going here, some thoughts on this list:

Heston, Black, Blackburn, Crick, Hernandez and Okert are all dfa candidates (will look at who needs to be added to the 40 man in the next couple of days).
I think that Reynolds, Gillaspie and Gearrin are non-tendered.
I also think that Peavy, Pagan, Casilla, Lopez, Blanco and Nathan are all allowed to walk. However, once I get a chance to get a better look at the free agent class (which I hear is awfully thin, which makes this team's need scary), I may re-think one or two of those.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, let's look at the free agents...
Free Agents
Peavy
Pagan
Romo
Casilla
Lopez
Blanco
Nathan

Romo, IMHO, is the only one worthy of bringing back. But I think the team has to decide how they are going to proceed before they resign him. He made $9M in 2016, and the way the league has begun to realize how important good bully arms are now, I think he will cost AT LEAST that much in 2017 and forward. If the org decides to press the self-destruct button, they will give him a glowing recommendation for his upcoming job interviews.

I don't see the team even entertaining any of the other FAs. No need to even discuss them.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now the Arb players
These are the guys on the 40 and their 2017 status...
Arbitration eligible
Nunez (A3)
Reynolds (A3)
Smith (A2)
Kontos (A2)
Gillaspie (A2)
Gearrin (A1)
Nunez and Smith I think are the no-brainer keepers.

Gearrin and Gillaspie are the no-brainer non-tenders.

Kontos and Reynolds are both bubble boys.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now the Arb players

Nunez and Smith I think are the no-brainer keepers.

Gearrin and Gillaspie are the no-brainer non-tenders.

Kontos and Reynolds are both bubble boys.
Not sure I understand everyone's dislike of Kontos. Sure, he hasn't lived up to the 2015 season but he's been one of the better of this fragile bullpen. In my eyes, he's worth keeping around for 2017.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Team control
Panik
Heston
Strickland
Adrianza
Osich
Tomlinson
Brown
Blach
Black
Blackburn
Crick
Gregorio
Hernandez
Law
Okert
Parker
Stratton
Suarez
Williamson
Suarez (?), Adrianza, Parker, Hernandez (?) and Strickland are all out of options. I don't think any of these guys are obvious DFA possibilities. Strickland, I think, is the only one who is "guaranteed" a roster spot in '17. All have at least legit chances to make the team out of ST.

Of the other players who have options remaining, only Panik and Law are locks for the 25. Osich and Brown are near locks, but the org may try to get a bigger-name BU catcher and Osich has options, which is the deathnell for bully arms in this org.

I think these guys are potential DFA targets...

Heston
Black
Blackburn
Crick

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I understand everyone's dislike of Kontos. Sure, he hasn't lived up to the 2015 season but he's been one of the better of this fragile bullpen. In my eyes, he's worth keeping around for 2017.
Being "one of the better" of this group is not something to put on his resume.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, here is how the 25 looks right now...

Bum
Cueto
Moore
Sammy
???? (Fill the #5 from within - Suarez, Suarez, Blach, Stratton, Beede...)

CL - ????
8th R - Law
8th L - Smith
7th R - Strickland
8th L - Osich
Long - Suarez
Long - ????

C - Posey
1B - Belt
2B - Panik
SS - Crawford
3B - Nunez

BUC - Brown
Util1 - Tomlinson
Util2 - Adrianza

CF - Span
RF - Pence
LF - Williamson
OF4 - Hernandez
OF5 - Parker

I think that Slater has a chance to dislodge Span, but that is not likely. Duggar has a chance to take Left (or OF5), but I also think that is unlikely.

The bully is in complete disarray, but everything else still looks rather strong. I would still put our 1-4 against anyone in the bigs. The infield may need some tweaking as only Crawford is a legit star-level player. Panik HAS to figure out the major-league thing, and fast. Nunez is a lot better than his first impression, but I think he fits best as a Zobrist type, not THE guy at 3B. I have no idea what to do about Posey. He really needs to cut down on his squat innings. His defense at 1B is at worst average, but likely above average, and he just gets too banged up behind the plate to stay there. But dayum, he plays a near flawless catcher, so I hate to lose him back there. The outfield is a joke. In my eyes, all 3 spots should be open to upgrades. I like Pence, but dude just isn't what he was because he just isn't healthy enough anymore.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there is a chance the team moves on from Cain. There just isn't a spot for him anymore. The $32M he is owed past this year is sunk.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suarez (?), Adrianza, Parker, Hernandez (?) and Strickland are all out of options. I don't think any of these guys are obvious DFA possibilities. Strickland, I think, is the only one who is "guaranteed" a roster spot in '17. All have at least legit chances to make the team out of ST.

Of the other players who have options remaining, only Panik and Law are locks for the 25. Osich and Brown are near locks, but the org may try to get a bigger-name BU catcher and Osich has options, which is the deathnell for bully arms in this org.

Heston
Black
Blackburn
Crick

I think I'd keep both Heston and Blackburn of that group. Heston has shown he can pitch at the MLB level, and battled injuries all year. Blackburn is still young, 22-ish. He needs to be given a shot, he has nothing left to prove at AAA.

Crick and Black had disastrous seasons, and I just don't see them getting any better, in spite of their raw skills. Crick was a high draft pick, and Black was a Sabean special dumpster dive as a hard thrower coming off surgery, but he has been grossly ineffective at AA, a pitcher's league.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, when looking at a rebuild, isn't one to quickly discard either.
The bully is a dumpster fire. Do you really rebuild because of a bad bully? And if the bully is the primary reason for the rebuild, why keep any of those border guys?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I'd keep both Heston and Blackburn of that group. Heston has shown he can pitch at the MLB level, and battled injuries all year. Blackburn is still young, 22-ish. He needs to be given a shot, he has nothing left to prove at AAA.

Crick and Black had disastrous seasons, and I just don't see them getting any better, in spite of their raw skills. Crick was a high draft pick, and Black was a Sabean special dumpster dive as a hard thrower coming off surgery, but he has been grossly ineffective at AA, a pitcher's league.
I think this is pretty much accurate, but I would not be shocked at any combination of DFAs from this group.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bum
Cueto
Moore
Sammy

CL - ????
8th R - Law
8th L - Smith
7th R - Strickland
8th L - Osich
Long - Suarez
Long - ????

C - Posey
1B - Belt
2B - Panik
SS - Crawford
3B - Nunez

BUC - Brown
Util1 - Tomlinson
Util2 - Adrianza

CF - Span
RF - Pence
LF - Williamson
OF4 - Hernandez
OF5 - Parker

I think that Slater has a chance to dislodge Span, but that is not likely. Duggar has a chance to take Left (or OF5), but I also think that is unlikely.

The bully is in complete disarray, but everything else still looks rather strong. I would still put our 1-4 against anyone in the bigs. The infield may need some tweaking as only Crawford is a legit star-level player. Panik HAS to figure out the major-league thing, and fast. Nunez is a lot better than his first impression, but I think he fits best as a Zobrist type, not THE guy at 3B. I have no idea what to do about Posey. He really needs to cut down on his squat innings. His defense at 1B is at worst average, but likely above average, and he just gets too banged up behind the plate to stay there. But dayum, he plays a near flawless catcher, so I hate to lose him back there. The outfield is a joke. In my eyes, all 3 spots should be open to upgrades. I like Pence, but dude just isn't what he was because he just isn't healthy enough anymore.

We need upgrades in the OF badly. BADLY.

I think Blach and Beede are in line for the #5 as well as Suarez. If so, that's a pretty awesome rotation, if only Moore can begin to throw strikes with control.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need upgrades in the OF badly. BADLY.

I think Blach and Beede are in line for the #5 as well as Suarez. If so, that's a pretty awesome rotation, if only Moore can begin to throw strikes with control.
How about Stratton? Do you throw him into that mix as well?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bully is a dumpster fire. Do you really rebuild because of a bad bully? And if the bully is the primary reason for the rebuild, why keep any of those border guys?
Yes, but I really don't think Kontos is one to discard. His numbers are better than you think.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are the names of our minor league guys eligible for the Rule 5 draft:
Pitchers
Martin Agosta
Carlos Diaz
Jason Forjet
Ian Gardeck
Chase Johnson
Christian Jones
Dustin Knight
Matthew Lujan
Jacob McCasland
Tyler Mizenko
Jose Morel
Reyes Moronta
Randy Ortiz
Luis Pino
Tyler Rogers
Daniel Slania
DJ Snelten
Jeff Soptic
Pat Young

Catchers
Travis Higgs
Matt Pare
John Riley
Ty Ross

Infielders
Brandon Bednar, 2nd
Mitchell Delfino, 3rd
Miguel Gomez, 1st
Ryder Jones, 3rd
Rando Moreno, ss
Ricky Oropesa, 1st
John Polonius, 2nd
Travious Relaford, ss
Richard Rodriguez, 2nd
Leo Rojas, 1st

Outfielders
Tyler Horan
Julio Pena

Out of all these names, the only ones I think the Giants will consider protecting are Chase Johnson, Jacob McCasland, Tyler Rogers, Daniel Slania, Jeff Soptic (just kidding!) and Ryder Jones.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Heston
Black
Blackburn
Crick

IMO, there aren't 20 catchers in the majors who better than Brown RIGHT NOW, much less next year. I think he'd start for 10 teams in the majors in 17 if he were a FA. In short, the likelihood of us finding a better reserve catcher than Brownie are about zero.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bum
Cueto
Moore
Sammy

CL - ????
8th R - Law
8th L - Smith
7th R - Strickland
8th L - Osich
Long - Suarez
Long - ????

C - Posey
1B - Belt
2B - Panik
SS - Crawford
3B - Nunez

BUC - Brown
Util1 - Tomlinson
Util2 - Adrianza

CF - Span
RF - Pence
LF - Williamson
OF4 - Hernandez
OF5 - Parker

Well, "star level" is pretty subjective, but I'd consider anyone who makes an ASG as "star level." By that metric, the whole infield is "star level."

Reactions: LHG

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, "star level" is pretty subjective, but I'd consider anyone who makes an ASG as "star level." By that metric, the whole infield is "star level."
Nunez was an AS only because the Twinks had to be represented. Panik has had an awful year and needs to reestablish himself. Belt is a top 1/2 1B, but not a "star" by any stretch.