• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dec. 1st - Contract Tender Deadline

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So with the conclusion of today's watch to see who got added to the 40 man roster, the next deadline for this offseason is the contract tender deadline. The Giants must choose to tender or not tender a contract to each of its players in their arbitration years or who have not yet entered their arbitration years. Here's a look at the players who fall under this deadline:

Pitchers (16)
Ty Blach
Kyle Crick
Sam Dyson (2 year arb - Super 2)
Cory Gearrin (2 year arb)
Roberto Gomez
Joan Gregorio
Chase Johnson
Pierce Johnson
Derek Law
Reyes Moronta
Steven Okert
Josh Osich
Will Smith (3 year arb - Super 2)
Chris Stratton
Hunter Strickland (1 year arb - Super 2)
Albert Suarez

Infielders (5)
Christian Arroyo
Miguel Gomez
Ryder Jones
Joe Panik (1 year arb)
Kelby Tomlinson

Outfielders (4)
Gorkys Hernandez
Jarrett Parker
Austin Slater
Mac Williamson

I underlined the two guys I see a possibility of getting non-tendered (Gomez and Suarez) but I think that will only happen if the Giants want someone in the Rule 5 draft.

Either of those guys, as well as Chase Johnson, Steven Okert, Josh Osich (either if a lefty is picked up), Ryder Jones and Mac Williamson could be dfa candidates if room is needed on the 40 man for a free agent or trade acquisition.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants have until 5 pm today to tender contracts. I wouldn't be surprised if the Giants just renew everyone but I do think that there is an outside chance they non-tender Gomez and maybe even Suarez.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants have until 5 pm today to tender contracts. I wouldn't be surprised if the Giants just renew everyone but I do think that there is an outside chance they non-tender Gomez and maybe even Suarez.
Would those be considered non-tenders? I have always (inaccurately?) associated that term with players who were not offered arbitration.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would those be considered non-tenders? I have always (inaccurately?) associated that term with players who were not offered arbitration.
No, its anyone who is not already under contract. I'm a little fuzzy on it, but I believe that the teams have to make a decision whether they even want to tender a contract by the deadline. Those who they do, they either negotiate a contract or renew the previous year's contract or, in the case of arbitration eligible players, they negotiate a deal or go to arbitration. Watch, there will be some teams that non tender players not even arbitration eligible. Some will even non tender guys who've never been to the big leagues. I don't know what the advantage is to that compared to designating them for assignment and then just outright assign them but its possible that they held on to them in hopes they could have trade value but ultimately did not want to keep them in the organization.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really wouldn't be surprised to see one of Gearrin or Dyson gone, either through non-tender or DFA, though I'd say both are probably going to be tendered.

Hector Rondon of the Cubs was DFA'd.... I think he'll be a hot commodity but would be worth a look IMO.

Also Bruce Rondon was DFA'd by the Tigers. Less attractive but could potentially be had on a MiLB deal.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drew Smyly was also non-tendered. It's likely he resigns with Seattle (TJ surgery), but if not he could be an intriguing add.

Always injured but a really good pitcher when he's healthy.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really wouldn't be surprised to see one of Gearrin or Dyson gone, either through non-tender or DFA, though I'd say both are probably going to be tendered.

Hector Rondon of the Cubs was DFA'd.... I think he'll be a hot commodity but would be worth a look IMO.

Also Bruce Rondon was DFA'd by the Tigers. Less attractive but could potentially be had on a MiLB deal.
Actually, both Rondons were non-tendered so they are immediately free agents. So was Kyle Crockett, whom the Reds had claimed off waivers from the Indians two weeks ago after being dfa'd. I'd like the Giants to sign him as insurance at least.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, both Rondons were non-tendered so they are immediately free agents. So was Kyle Crockett, whom the Reds had claimed off waivers from the Indians two weeks ago after being dfa'd. I'd like the Giants to sign him as insurance at least.

Don't know why I used non-tendered in the first sentence and then DFA'd in the latter :L

Thanks.

Reactions: LHG

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Adams non-tendered by the Braves.

Should the Giants trade Belt, could be a solid option.

Adams is great against righties, .295/.342/.554 last year. His defense at 1st is crippling.

If the Giants re-sign Hundley, could have a solid 3-man platoon.

Adams/Posey against right-handers, Posey/Hundley versus left-handers.

Again, hypothetical.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants' PR department is consistently late on everything.... terrible communication.

And none of the writers for the Giants seems to give much of a crap about the Giants either.

It's been two hours since the deadline and NOTHING.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants' PR department is consistently late on everything.... terrible communication.

And none of the writers for the Giants seems to give much of a crap about the Giants either.

It's been two hours since the deadline and NOTHING.
Besides the Giants, there is 7 other teams that have not announced publicly whether they have non-tendered anyone.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Besides the Giants, there is 7 other teams that have not announced publicly whether they have non-tendered anyone.

It oddly says that Albert Suarez has elected free agency on their transactions page..... which means he was DFA'd a few days ago? As opposed to non-tendered today?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It oddly says that Albert Suarez has elected free agency on their transactions page..... which means he was DFA'd a few days ago? As opposed to non-tendered today?
Interesting. I checked that page a couple of hours ago and it was blank for December.
I just looked at Atlanta's page and they have all of their non-tendered players listed the same way, electing free agency. I didn't know that a player can "elect" free-agency when non-tendered. I thought it was automatic.

I find it weird the Giants would have Suarez walk before Gomez. They must see something in him that we don't. Maybe he's the centerpiece of the Stanton trade . . . or the next closer.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. I checked that page a couple of hours ago and it was blank for December.
I just looked at Atlanta's page and they have all of their non-tendered players listed the same way, electing free agency. I didn't know that a player can "elect" free-agency when non-tendered. I thought it was automatic.

I find it weird the Giants would have Suarez walk before Gomez. They must see something in him that we don't. Maybe he's the centerpiece of the Stanton trade . . . or the next closer.

Gomez and Suarez are fairly similar in that they provide emergency pitching depth, but Gomez has options and Suarez does not, which helps Gomez's case. Only reason I can think of to keep him around. He still may not survive, but it gives him the edge over Suarez.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glossary / Transactions / Non-tendered
Non-tendered
Definition

When a club "non-tenders" a player, it declines to give that player a contract for the upcoming season, thereby immediately making him a free agent. Players on the 40-man roster with fewer than six years of Major League service time must be tendered contracts each offseason by a set deadline -- typically a date in early December -- or non-tendered and released to the free-agent pool.

In many instances, a club will non-tender a player because it feels the raise he will receive in arbitration would be greater than his on-field value. In other cases, a club will non-tender a player simply to clear a spot on the 40-man roster -- even if that player isn't due much more than the league minimum the following season.

Examples
Henderson Alvarez was due to receive $4 million or more in arbitration following the 2015 campaign, in which he made just four starts before undergoing season-ending shoulder surgery. Rather than tender a contract to a player with major durability concerns, the Marlins non-tendered Alvarez in December 2015.

Also in December 2015, the Astros elected to non-tender first baseman Chris Carter rather than pay him a raise on his $4.175 million salary from the prior season. Carter had belted 90 homers with Houston from 2013-15, but he also batted just .218 while striking out in 33.7 percent of his plate appearances during that span.

And though James Jones was not eligible for salary arbitration and would have made scarcely more than the league minimum in 2016, the Rangers non-tendered him in December 2015 to open a 40-man roster spot for further offseason maneuvering. Texas soon re-signed Jones to a Minor League contract, keeping him in the organization without expending a 40-man roster spot.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man are we a bunch of baseball...
giphy.gif