• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016/2017 Off-Season Thread

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As of this morning, the following former Giants are still free agents:
Starting Pitcher
Tim Lincecum
Jake Peavy
Alfredo Simon

Relief Pitcher
Carlos Villanueva
Jerome Williams

Catcher
A.J. Pierzynski

3rd Base
Casey McGehee

Outfield
Marlon Byrd
Jeff Francoeur
Angel Pagan

Angel Pagan is a little surprising but the other guys not signed isn't, considering their 2016 seasons.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As of this morning, the following former Giants are still free agents:
Starting Pitcher
Tim Lincecum
Jake Peavy
Alfredo Simon

Relief Pitcher
Carlos Villanueva
Jerome Williams

Catcher
A.J. Pierzynski

3rd Base
Casey McGehee

Outfield
Marlon Byrd
Jeff Francoeur
Angel Pagan

Angel Pagan is a little surprising but the other guys not signed isn't, considering their 2016 seasons.

The Padres signing Jeard Weaver pretty much takes out the chance that Peavy had to go there. Not sure he'll find more work.

Timmeh will latch on somewhere I think, at some point. Even as a publicity stunt.

Still surprised Pagan can't find work. Makes me think he held out a bit too long for that great deal, might have to settle for MiLB deal.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, I am surprised on Pagan. Maybe teams don't want to deal with his attitude? He is viewed as a bit of a dbag by non-Giants fans. I have always been of the opinion that if he weren't a Giant, we would all hate his antics as well.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say goodbye to the traditional intentional walk. From now on, managers will give a signal from the bench and the batter will move on to 1st.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say goodbye to the traditional intentional walk. From now on, managers will give a signal from the bench and the batter will move on to 1st.

I'm not gonna fall to pieces about this, but I really don't see why they are trying to make so many changes to the pace of the game to save what, 8-10 minutes a game, max? Is that going to jack up ratings?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the commissioner announced today that the rule changes don't take effect until 2018. Did I miss something, like that was for the more recent changes talked about, such as the run on 2nd in extra innings?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not gonna fall to pieces about this, but I really don't see why they are trying to make so many changes to the pace of the game to save what, 8-10 minutes a game, max? Is that going to jack up ratings?

There aren't THAT many intentional walks per game, it will save maybe on average 10 seconds a game. And that's probably generous. There are 2,430 games per year, and there were only 932 intentional walks last year. This barely saves any time, but it does signal that they are very serious about pace of play.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the commissioner announced today that the rule changes don't take effect until 2018. Did I miss something, like that was for the more recent changes talked about, such as the run on 2nd in extra innings?

For most of their rules yes, but it was announced today that this rule will go into effect in 2017

Reactions: LHG

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this rule were retroactively applied to 2012, we would not have won...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't see this particular change saving more than a minute or two. It's pretty silly. You want shorter games? Get rid of the phuking DH.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't see this particular change saving more than a minute or two. It's pretty silly. You want shorter games? Get rid of the phuking DH.

It's a fine line they're towing, they want to shorten games but they also want offense to increase.

Manfred and co. aren't focus on people like us. I hope they don't screw things up too much because I don't think they're going to bring in that many new fans unless they drastically change the game.

I still think the best thing MLB can do is invest heavily in Little League and High Schools and have more children playing the game.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a fine line they're towing, they want to shorten games but they also want offense to increase.

Manfred and co. aren't focus on people like us. I hope they don't screw things up too much because I don't think they're going to bring in that many new fans unless they drastically change the game.

I still think the best thing MLB can do is invest heavily in Little League and High Schools and have more children playing the game.
Getting kids hooked early is the key. It is a great game to play, and rather easy to pick up at that level. The .Giants are HUGE in the development aspect, but I don't hear anything about the Padres pushing little league here in SD. However, this area does tend to be a bit of a hotbed for little league as a few of the local HS seem to always be producing 1st rounders and lots of LLWS teams coming out of this area. :noidea:

But as far as marketing goes, they need to sell the differences that baseball offers, not try to clone the other sports.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting kids hooked early is the key. It is a great game to play, and rather easy to pick up at that level. The .Giants are HUGE in the development aspect, but I don't hear anything about the Padres pushing little league here in SD. However, this area does tend to be a bit of a hotbed for little league as a few of the local HS seem to always be producing 1st rounders and lots of LLWS teams coming out of this area. :noidea:

But as far as marketing goes, they need to sell the differences that baseball offers, not try to clone the other sports.

So true about the Giants. Their Junior Giants program is MASSIVE throughout Northern California, and even in Oregon and Nevada. It's free, kids give baseball a try and get exposure to the Giants in the process. Works two-fold and they don't look gimmicky doing it.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I find it so annoying to see soccer games played on baseball fields during spring. The part of Orange County I live in, I don't see much baseball. Lots of soccer, some flag football and even some softball but not much baseball. I don't know if the Angels have an active program in Los Angeles of Anaheim but they have nothing just 30 minutes south.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had no idea what Jake Peavy has gone through in the past year. Too bad he's having to face all of this. For Jake Peavy, baseball must take a back seat

Dang, that really sucks. Romo's and Peavy's stories both coming out, Sandoval went through a tough time with the Giants, it reminds you that all these guys are people too who have their own problems.