• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Rosterbation

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just don’t tell him that
Too late.

tenor.gif

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade Will Smth for Jackie Bradley Jr
To hammer my point home, consider:
Jackie Bradley's age 24 season - .198/.265/.266 in 384 at-bats
Steven Duggar's age 24 season - .255/.303/.390 in 141 at-bats

Baseball Reference does a projection (called Marcel's projection, which I haven't read too much into how it works) and they have these projections:
Bradley - .245/.324/.420
Duggar - .252/.315/.404

I do think that they are giving Bradley the benefit of the doubt to rebound a bit from his last two seasons (considering his 2015 and 2016 seasons) but thinking that both are considered plus defenders, Duggar is younger and is already under team control and those offensive numbers aren't that different, Will Smith could be utilized better in another type of trade.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad it wasn't the Giants signing this deal !!!

• 13 years/$330M (2019-31)
    • $20M signing bonus
    • 19:$10M, 20-28:$26M, 29-31:$22M

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Name the four you want to sign for $9M a year each that hit .300

Well, the *type* of player that I would want are players like, say, José Peraza (hopefully with a few more walks and better defense) or Andrelton Simmons or Mallex Smith or ... Matt Duffy (with a tad better defense, hopefully).

The types of players that aren't appreciated enough (including by the Giants) : not a lot of power, but they hit for avg, take walks and either have good-to-pretty-damn-good (but not necessarily great) defense or a bit of speed. Not excelling in all things, in fact just being "good" in most, and maybe very good in one (that isn't HR power). They would probably be found playing SS or 2B or CF (but maybe RF or 3B). Hell, I want Bill Mueller; a guy that hits for AVG, and knows how to take a f**king walk.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you guys even mad? I’m not. I’ll admit that hearing you guys, who are a lot smarter than me, wanting Bryce Harper, made me want him to. They were comparisons to the Barry Bonds and I agreed with them. But in the end, we didn’t win 3 WS with Barry Bonds. We won them with pitching. It’s how we will do it in the future at Oracle.

I'm disappointed, but not THAT disappointed. Got worked-up when I thought it could happen. I wouldn't have been disappointed if Harper signed last week for the same amount.

Now, if he went to LA, I would have been pissed. At any dollar amount.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, my ADD-type personality must point out that it matters based on the # of games they play IN THE STATE. (The income taxes are split among *every* state they play in, on a pro-rated basis - you don't think the greedy basturds haven't been milking the sports world for decades?). Playing in the NL West means that the HOME games (81) as well as a sizable chunk of other NL West games (Padres, Dodgers) would be subject to CA taxes.

Playing for the Phils, he will also pay New York City income taxes (max 3.876%) in addition to those collected by NY state (6.85%) for the games he plays in NY (Mets). I'm not going to go thru all the states, but Penn has a flat 3.07% state tax. That's um, at least ( (.133 - 0.03 = 0.103) * 26000000 div 2 = $1.3M). Now, while that SEEMS like a lot of money, it's ... well, OK, it's a LOT of money, even if you use $100 bills to wipe your arse.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about that. A lot just depends on health. Here is a laundry list of "ifs"

1. Posey's hips are fine
2. Belt's knee is fine
3. Dozen's groin is healed
4. Longo's hand is fully mended
5. Mac returns to early 2018 form
6. Duggar's shoulder is right
7. Craw's knee is healed
8. Somebody combination of Slater/Furgeson/Shaw/Parra/Maybin has reasonable production
9. Bum's hand is fully mended
10. DRod continues his trajectory
11. Shark's shoulder is good
12. Hollturd continues to defy me
13. Pomeranz' bicep is ok

A lot of ifs, but none of those individually are unreasonable (except #12). Will we get all 13? Probably not, but what if we get 10? I think we can compete. It's all up to the injury gods.
Somehow, I completely missed this and had to go looking for it after seeing BeerMe refer to tzill's 13 reasons for optimism. tzill, is that really you or have you created another alt and got lazy and didn't create a new name with it? I will say this imposter is good, making sure to loathe Holland in his post.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, my ADD-type personality must point out that it matters based on the # of games they play IN THE STATE. (The income taxes are split among *every* state they play in, on a pro-rated basis - you don't think the greedy basturds haven't been milking the sports world for decades?). Playing in the NL West means that the HOME games (81) as well as a sizable chunk of other NL West games (Padres, Dodgers) would be subject to CA taxes.

Playing for the Phils, he will also pay New York City income taxes (max 3.876%) in addition to those collected by NY state (6.85%) for the games he plays in NY (Mets). I'm not going to go thru all the states, but Penn has a flat 3.07% state tax. That's um, at least ( (.133 - 0.03 = 0.103) * 26000000 div 2 = $1.3M). Now, while that SEEMS like a lot of money, it's ... well, OK, it's a LOT of money, even if you use $100 bills to wipe your arse.

He'll also play in Florida a lot over the years.

Of course it's also worth thinking that the divisions could drastically change over the life of his contract (hopefully switching to four 8-team divisions or eight 4-team divisions).

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somehow, I completely missed this and had to go looking for it after seeing BeerMe refer to tzill's 13 reasons for optimism. tzill, is that really you or have you created another alt and got lazy and didn't create a new name with it? I will say this imposter is good, making sure to loathe Holland in his post.
Lmfao. Got much respect for @tzill , but dude is the most optimistic poster ever...right up until game 1 pitch 1 is a ball. Then it’s moundshattery, mittfuckery, angry bochy time. It’s almost like the official changing of the guard from winter to spring.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think Bryce is a much better fit in Philly than here. Better ballpark, better lineup, better chance for success.

No ill will here, like Harper, but that would have been a noose around the G’s neck if he came here. Let Farhan do his hyperactive Fantasy Baseball thing, let Mac Williamson play (don’t know why people think Shaw is better?), let Duggar play, Maybin and Parra can share RF, hope for bounce back years from Belt and Posey.

If we’re not in contention (likely), hopefully Samgarbagejizza can pitch well enough to be traded along with Melancon and maybe find a sucker for Longoria at the trade deadline.

Only trade Bum, Smith or Watson if there is an overpay. If Bum doesn’t fetch a ransom, ironically enough, I’d rather we keep him and lose him for nothing. Show him respect and let other players know how we operate here.

If Mac can stay healthy, I really like what he looks like after changing his swing to Toomgus North. I think he can be a difference maker.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think Bryce is a much better fit in Philly than here. Better ballpark, better lineup, better chance for success.

No ill will here, like Harper, but that would have been a noose around the G’s neck if he came here. Let Farhan do his hyperactive Fantasy Baseball thing, let Mac Williamson play (don’t know why people think Shaw is better?), let Duggar play, Maybin and Parra can share RF, hope for bounce back years from Belt and Posey.

If we’re not in contention (likely), hopefully Samgarbagejizza can pitch well enough to be traded along with Melancon and maybe find a sucker for Longoria at the trade deadline.

Only trade Bum, Smith or Watson if there is an overpay. If Bum doesn’t fetch a ransom, ironically enough, I’d rather we keep him and lose him for nothing. Show him respect and let other players know how we operate here.

If Mac can stay healthy, I really like what he looks like after changing his swing to Toomgus North. I think he can be a difference maker.
The prob with the whole “don’t trad whim and let him walk so everyone sees we are swell guys” thing is that that reputation already exists, and the players aren’t exactly knocking each other over to play here. Why is that? I have no idea.

That said, as frustrated as I am/will be if Bum is not traded, one of the reasons I really like the Giants is because they do tend to err on the side of continuing the relationship with the player. The Giants are NOT the A’s. Yes, I root for laundry, but I also like getting to know the lettering on the back of the jersey as well.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't even need Mac to be a difference maker. I'll take a 20-homer guy out of LF at this point.

Reactions: LHG

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The prob with the whole “don’t trad whim and let him walk so everyone sees we are swell guys” thing is that that reputation already exists, and the players aren’t exactly knocking each other over to play here. Why is that? I have no idea.

That said, as frustrated as I am/will be if Bum is not traded, one of the reasons I really like the Giants is because they do tend to err on the side of continuing the relationship with the player. The Giants are NOT the A’s. Yes, I root for laundry, but I also like getting to know the lettering on the back of the jersey as well.
Don’t disagree with what you’ve said. Just certain players deserve to go out on their own accord. Bum for an A prospect, I’m on board with.
I don't even need Mac to be a difference maker. I'll take a 20-homer guy out of LF at this point.
yeah, yours is definitely more likely. I just see the talent, is all I’m saying.

I’d also take a 20 homer guy.

I hope Shaw pans out, don’t get me wrong, I’ve just seen the dude swing and Miss by 6+ inches...a lot...a lot a lot.