• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your top 10 all time.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hulk Hogan
Ric Flair
Randy Savage
Jerry King Lawler
Bill Superstar Dundee
Dutch Mantell
Ricky Dragon Steamboat
The Four Horsemen
Road Warriors
Sting

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I grew up watching Pacific Northwest and Georgia Championship wrestling back in the late 70s-mid 80s and these lists reflect that for the most part. My criteria is that if I was starting my own company, which guys would I take in their prime.

1. The Road Warriors- As a kid, I remember seeing their first match on TBS. I was hooked for life and they only got better from there over the next few years (they were at their peak several years before they ever came to the WWF). Complete domination! In addition to them both being badass and huge, Hawk was one of the best promo guys of all time.

2. The Undertaker- The Taker was not only big and scary, but he was able to move quite well back in the day. Watching a near 7' guy walking the ropes was awesome! Plus he was a great locker room presence.

3. Jake Roberts- Loved the DDT (possibly my fav move of all-time)! Also was a great promo guy. He seemed to always embody a touch of evil.

4. Bruiser Brody- A true crazy badass brawler. 6'8" and 300+# of crazy energy when he went to the ring. A crying shame that he was killed backstage in Puerto Rico by Invader 1 and Carlos Colon.
What people don't see these days is the territory freshness where the established stars and situations could change at the drop of a hat and there was no one better to throw a situation into chaos as Brody's sudden arrival on the scene, be it with the heels or the babyfaces. All status quo would immediately be thrown on it's head!

5. Scott Hall- Big guy and a great technical worker. Learned to work the crowd like no one else back in the WWF and WCW days. Too bad his personal life was such a mess with drug and alcohol addiction. Hilarious to see his early AWA days with the big Magnum PI mustache.

6. Roddy Piper- A good ring worker in his prime but never one of the all-time greats in that area. But he was the GOAT when you put a mic in his hand, be it for cutting a promo, announcing, or doing interviews. A coked up Piper with a mic back in the day was awesome to behold! His peak was the territiory days from the mid-70s through the WWF in the late 80s.

7. Ric Flair- When I was kid, Flair just used to annoy me but over the years I just cracked up more and more after seeing him freak out in an interview. WOOOOOO!!! Plus he was a very good in-ring guy who could sell anyone. His bag of "dirty tricks" was great.

8. Curt Henning- Lived up to his WWF persona as "Mr. Perfect". Technically a great wrestler and made a great heel. Excellent on the mic to boot. Was also a top babyface in the AWA with his dad, Larry "The Ax" Henning.

9. Daniel Bryan- Great embodyment of the underdog. Lots of charisma, can work up a crowd like few I have ever seen. His in-ring skill is one of the best of all-time. Good mic work to boot.

10. Ted DiBiase- An underrated ring technician. He was a great territory guy long before he became "The Million Dollar Man", but he did an excellent job with that character which could have easily bombed with so many others if they had been given it. See the note on him and Steve Williams as a tag team.

11. Bam Bam Biglow- See a theme here? Big, crazy, strong guys who can move have always been my favs. Bam Bam was right there in the list for some of the most agile big men ever.

12. Chris Benoit- I know that this will be a controversial choice, but putting aside the sad ending and focusing on his career in the business, I would say that Benoit was one of the best in-ring guys ever. Was a bit lacking on the mic work but the Wolverine could work a match as well as anyone.

13. Big Van Vader- This guy was HUGE and could do moonsalts?!?! Crazy!! Plus his eye popped out during a match in Japan and he shoved it back in and finished the match!

14. Steve "Dr. Death" Williams- Technically good and stronger than an ox. A legit bad ass whose career in the USA was derailed by his loss to Bart Gunn(!) in a shoot boxing. His tag team with Ted DiBiase back in the territories was one of the best ever.

15. Buzz Sawyer- Ok, this may seem like an odd choice, but this guy was friggin crazy back in the day, a good technical wrestler, and stronger than hell. Too bad he quite literally was insane and unreliable. He also didn't have much of a look. His feud with Tommy Rich is legendary.

16. King Kong Bundy- Huge, bald, scary. Could move like no one his size should be able to.

17. Stan Hansen- Another legit big badass. His lariet clothesline was one of the best finishers of it's time.

18. Randy Savage- The Macho Man is iconic! No other reason needed!

19. Brock Lesner- A genetic mutant!

20. The British Bulldogs- My second fav tag team after the Road Warriors. They were a well-oiled machine in their prime.

21. Shawn Micheals- I admit that it is hard for me to add him. I loathe Shawn Micheals as a person (read some of the crap he has pulled on people). I hated his character. I hated his ghey assed entrance music. But I do have to admit that he was a great in-ring guy and a good mic guy. If I was starting a territory I would be scared to bring him in because the person he was backstage but if he could be controlled and used properly........ !

Last edited:

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can add to my list (in no particular place on the list):

Harley Race- Another great technician. Strong and solid.

Kurt Angle- Possibly the greatest actual wrestler ever in the professional business.

Nikita Koloff- This guy was a mutant of the Brock Lesner proportions. His feuds with Ivan against the Road Warriors were great.

Remember that my criteria was guys who I would want (in their prime) if I was starting a company.

Some notes on the guys that I did list and possible problems/issues/red flags:

The British Bulldogs- The Dynamite Kid was a known bully and a lot of guys didn't like him. He physically assaulted some of the other wrestlers offscreen. Note that him and Davey Boy Smith hated each other for years at the end.

Buzz Sawyer- As noted, he actually was crazy. His screwing of the Undertaker out of money for lessons when he was starting is well known.

Big Van Vader- People said that Leon didn't like to sell to others at all. This of course would be unacceptable. This actually hurt his push in the WWE.

Bruiser Brody- Hated management types and liked to move from territory to territory. Did what he wanted in the ring at times, even he had agreed on something else before.

Shawn Micheals- I already covered this. One of the biggest scumbags in the business who, with the Kliq, ruined other people's careers just because they could.

So those 5 are a little tough because of their issues that could offset their strengths.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great thread! My top 20

1. Undertaker
2. Stone Cold
3. Rock
4. Hogan
5. Ultimate Warrior
6. Jake the Snake
7. Kane
8. Goldberg
9. RVD
10. Mick Foley
11. HBK
12. Scott Hall
13. Kevin Nash
14. Chris Benoit
15. Sabu
16. Taz
17. Dusty Rhodes
18. Edge
19. Christian
20. Gangrel

Top 5 Divas

1. Thrish
2. Lita
3. Stacy Kiebler
4. Sable
5. Maria

Also liked Molly Holly and Paige

CodeBreaker

Dismember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this top 10 favorites or top 10 GOAT?

My top 10 GOAT would be:

1. Hulk Hogan (no doubt)
2. Stone Cold
3. The Rock
4. Undertaker
5. Ric Flair
6. John Cena (Yes.. This dude has been at the top for a decade)
7. Shawn Michaels
8. Bret Hart
9. Randy Savage
10. Andre the Giant

I have so much favorite WWE superstars and I'm lazy to name them all and rank them in order so that GOAT list would be fine lol.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have scanned through this- surprised only one mention of the King Jerry Lawler. No mention of the Free Birds - Pretty Boy Michael Hayes.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feeling wrestling today, so here are my top 3 overall performers (working, selling, talking, drawing) -

Flair
Rhodes
Austin

There have been better pure workers than Dusty and post-injury Austin, but their mastery of the other categories more than compensates. Many wrestlers are right on these guys' heels - Hogan, Taker, Rock, Michaels, Brett Hart, Andre... - but not quite on the same level.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. The Rock
2. Stone Cold
3. CM Punk
4. Brock Lesner w/ Paul Heyman
5. Edge
6. Undertaker
7. Road Warriors
8. Sting
9. Rey Mysterio
10. Mick Foley

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These aren't in any particular order but I'll give this list a shot (I'm going to list managers as well):

Hulk Hogan
Steve Austin
Randy Savage
Ric Flair
Bobby Heenan
Trish Stratus
The Rock
Ricky Steamboat
Shawn Michaels
Bret Hart
Undertaker
Mick Foley
Paul Heyman
Curt Hennig
Sting
Rick Rude
Great Muta
HHH
Andre the Giant
Kurt Angle

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have scanned through this- surprised only one mention of the King Jerry Lawler. No mention of the Free Birds - Pretty Boy Michael Hayes.

Good calls.

Lawler was the king of of the Memphis territory for many, many years before any of the WWE fans even knew who he was. He and Jerry Jarrett (Jeff's dad) were the power behind several regions.

The Freebirds were interesting. On their own, Buddy Roberts was a southern mid-card loser type and Terry Gordy was a big Baby Huey guy with little personality, but put them in a tag-team with struttin pretty boy Micheal Hayes and it was suddenly a very effective dynamic. Their implementation of the "Freebird Rules" (where any 2 of the 3 can represent the team on any given night) was a legendary manuver that got them massive heat from the fans for many years. Hayes has to be up there with Piper, Hawk, etc. for some of the top mic guys of all time.

Nice to see someone who isn't listing WWE guys. I know that these guys are all that some people have ever seen but it is still very historically limiting.