• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NWO do-over

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just listened to a historical breakdown of the NWO, so I felt compelled to revisit this thread.

A few notes.

*Apparently Hogan really was stressing on being the 3rd man and had voiced his concerns. He really was very hesitant to switch to heel after building his empire on the "prayers and vitamins" shtick. They actually had Sting on stand-by at the arena before the match in case Hogan flip-flopped his stance at the last moment. I know he was discussed as a possibilty, but I didn't realize that it actually was a literal game-time decision on what would happened based on Hogan's nerves!

*Additionally, they discussed how Ric Flair had also been floated as the 3rd man. I hadn't heard or thought of this before. I don't know if his over-the-top coke frenzies would have worked well in the early NWO. However I am intrigued by the possibilty of both Hogan AND Flair being the 3rd man. It sounds crazy but that just might work.......or it could bomb horribly! I'm just not sure. Plus it would leave the 4 Horsemen in shambles, which might not be a bad thing at that point. It would give Flair something to restart whenever he did break from the NWO in this scenerio. Just pure speculation on my part.

*It has been previously discussed in this thread how the plan was to split the NWO into a seperate brand. Well, in this discussion it reviewed the episode of Nitro that switched from WCW to NWO after the first events. I vaguely recall this. The use of music, shot angles, announcers, refs, ring entrances, banners, light show, fireworks, etc, etc were all different from the WCW standard, and they (way too) often used the "NWO filter". But what killed it was a 20 minute pause with only announcers, a couple short promos, and ad breaks that they used to cover all of the production changes. In the timeframe the viewership largely shifted over to Raw and these rating numbers killed the planned NWO / WCW brand split. Pretty stupid planning by Eric (and whomever else) to do this. I know it was supposed to be a live show but you could have delayed 15 minutes to catch up and not killed your own heat.

*The planned brand split mentioned above was stated as a main reason as to why the NWO roster was so bloated in numbers. My personal view is that I get the concept but I don't know what the actual plan was. If you split the NWO into a seperate brand with them taking Nitro and WCW taking Thunder then you have a brand full of heels fighting...........???? So you'd still require massive overlap. Instead Nitro was the A show and Thunder became the B+ shows.