• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your new LA Laker: Julius Randle

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just like TF12 I prefer to look at the positives.

Plan B is working just fine.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its ok to be frustrated...rather its the past...hell im still pissed they took goudelock, and darius morris over isiah Thomas.

I think overall fans are frustrated with past few seasons and looking for something to be optimistic about. I think a solid signing like deng, ariza, maybe greg Monroe, lance Stephenson would have done that. then next season theres something appealing to free agents for 2015.

haven't really even looked at draft possibilities for next season...don't value the rockets pick all that much...barring any season ending injuries to key players for them..

Of course, we're all frustrated. We're not used to this. But, keep in mind, it's also not the 1st time that the team has had to go through some tough seasons in order to re-build.

I've been following them since the 70's. I saw the 69-13 team retire or move on. That turned into getting Kareem, followed by Magic and the rest of the Showtime era team. When the Showtime era players retired and moved on, the Lakers had about 4 down years and then got Shaq and Kobe. After Shaq left, we had 3 down years and got Pau. Now, the Kobe/Pau team is gone and we are in the 4th year of re-building from that.

Yes, there's been some bad luck and one big mistake. The bad luck was Stern's vetoing the CP3 trade, Dr. Buss passing and Dwight leaving. The one big mistake was not hiring Phil.

My point is that as Lakers fans, we have a choice. We can bitch, moan and make ourselves miserable all season or we can look at the few positives and enjoy our team and the last couple of seasons of one of the most special and unique talents that the league has ever seen.

I know which one I'm choosing.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is that as Lakers fans, we have a choice. We can bitch, moan and make ourselves miserable all season or we can look at the few positives and enjoy our team and the last couple of seasons of one of the most special and unique talents that the league has ever seen.

I know which one I'm choosing.

:clap: :10:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBiLNN1NhQ]Always Look on the Bright Side of Life - Monty Python's Life of Brian - YouTube[/ame]

:lol:

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hadn't heard that about the 2nd round pick. Protecting a 2nd round pick would seem unusual. Additionally, the 1st round pick may not be where we would like, but it's a first round pick the Lakers didn't have. Also, at worst, it'll be right about where the Lakers are used to picking in the 1st round anyway.

I believe it has to slot between 51 - 55 or they don't get it.

The 1st rounder likely won't be great but you never know. It's better than not having one, and they didn't have to give up much for it.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Randle pans out, that's an attractive piece. A healthy Kobe could be another. The Lakers could have appealing pieces for FAs to join them the next two summers. I'm not buying the narrative that they are no longer a destination team. They are by far the most profitable franchise in league.

No one wants to play with Swaggy :noidea:

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

only time will tell. my main line in thinking is if there are problems like jim buss, bad roster...flexibility is nice I get it...but realistically if your mark gasol, rondo whatever name you want to put in there...you would say to yourself kobe past his prime, ill have to carry the load myself and get bounced in 1st round. I expect more and more fans to stop going to games. didn't pay much attention to it before but rumor has it ticket sales are declining. plan B seems to rely on a lot of ifs and potential possibilities. all that past success was in part to dr buss and jerry west making it happen...im not sure how much faith I have in short buss... I like mitch...but I don't think hes running the show as much as before.

trojanfight

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Randle pans out, that's an attractive piece. A healthy Kobe could be another. The Lakers could have appealing pieces for FAs to join them the next two summers. I'm not buying the narrative that they are no longer a destination team. They are by far the most profitable franchise in league.

No one wants to play with Swaggy :noidea:

yep randles a key piece. I expect kobe to be healthy. I do question how productive he will be....hes said before he doesn't want to play averaging 17 points a game or something. They COULD have appealing pieces...but that's a real unknown. they are still a top destination as far as location. but really when shaq came I don't think he comes without eddie jones, nick van exel, elden Campbell, rick fox. kobe Bryant was unknown then...but the team was pretty solid then just needed someone to put over top. they need atleast another game impact...hoping they can land Stephenson but that's a long shot

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
only time will tell. my main line in thinking is if there are problems like jim buss, bad roster...flexibility is nice I get it...but realistically if your mark gasol, rondo whatever name you want to put in there...you would say to yourself kobe past his prime, ill have to carry the load myself and get bounced in 1st round. I expect more and more fans to stop going to games. didn't pay much attention to it before but rumor has it ticket sales are declining. plan B seems to rely on a lot of ifs and potential possibilities. all that past success was in part to dr buss and jerry west making it happen...im not sure how much faith I have in short buss... I like mitch...but I don't think hes running the show as much as before.

Not sure I agree. First of all, I think 2015 FA's are going to watch Kobe very carefully to see what he has left. If he is anything close to the pre-Achilles Kobe, I think that will definitely raise their interest.

Also, I guarantee that every one of those guys agents knows how profitable the Lakers are and how much cap space they are likely to have in the next 2 FA classes. There will be top FA's willing to take the Lakers money. Especially when considering the other L.A. perks.

As for Jim Buss, I've never been sold on him (heck, I think I was the first on these boards to start calling him Short Buss), but he hasn't been the disaster that some claim.

Yes, he screwed up in not hiring Phil, but that's really the only glaring mistake that I can see that he's made. The trade for D12 and Nash was one that every other GM in the league would have made if they had the opportunity. The people who are bashing him for it now, are the same people who were all but handing the Lakers the title when the trade was made. That includes Magic Johnson.

Think about it. If that trade had worked out, everyone would be calling him a genius and comparing him to his Dad.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:agree:Plan B is based on a lot of hope. I don't like it, but will see how it plays out.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I agree. First of all, I think 2015 FA's are going to watch Kobe very carefully to see what he has left. If he is anything close to the pre-Achilles Kobe, I think that will definitely raise their interest.

Also, I guarantee that every one of those guys agents knows how profitable the Lakers are and how much cap space they are likely to have in the next 2 FA classes. There will be top FA's willing to take the Lakers money. Especially when considering the other L.A. perks.

As for Jim Buss, I've never been sold on him (heck, I think I was the first on these boards to start calling him Short Buss), but he hasn't been the disaster that some claim.

Yes, he screwed up in not hiring Phil, but that's really the only glaring mistake that I can see that he's made. The trade for D12 and Nash was one that every other GM in the league would have made if they had the opportunity. The people who are bashing him for it now, are the same people who were all but handing the Lakers the title when the trade was made. That includes Magic Johnson.

Think about it. If that trade had worked out, everyone would be calling him a genius and comparing him to his Dad.

1) Not hiring Phil to coach;
2) Not hiring Phil for VP operations;
3) Firing the strength and conditioning staff;
4) Hiring his buddy only known as Chaz to be the team scout;
5) And the D12/Nash deal. Deal's are either good or bad, depending on how they work out. Just like drafts. We know the team who took Oden over Durant made a bad move because we see the results.
6) Ridiculously overpaying Kobe in that stupid contract.
7) Striking out on ever single free agent this year.
8) And we STILL don't have a coach.

I'm not seeing a single thing that he's done that has been short of disaster.

Last edited by a moderator:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Not hiring Phil to coach;
2) Not hiring Phil for VP operations;
3) Firing the strength and conditioning staff;
4) Hiring his buddy only known as Chaz to be the team scout;
5) And the D12/Nash deal. Deal's are either good or bad, depending on how they work out. Just like drafts. We know the team who took Oden over Durant made a bad move because we see the results.
6) Ridiculously overpaying Kobe in that stupid contract.
7) Striking out on ever single free agent this year.
8) And we STILL don't have a coach.

I'm not seeing a single thing that he's done that has been short of disaster.

Outside of not hiring Phil, none of that isn't fixable and much already has been and what the hell does someone's name have to with whether or not they can scout basketball talent or not.

You can't blame someone for making a deal that every other team in the league would have made if they had the same opportunity. It not working out is on Dwight and his attitude and approach.

If you can't see the reason Kobe was given that contract and how it doesn't hamstring the Lakers like some want to say, I can't help you.

There were only 2 difference making FA's that the Lakers made a serious bid on. Lebron was never going anywhere but Cleveland and 'Melo chose the money. There were no other FA's worth using cap space for.

Byron is meeting with the Lakers for the 3rd time today. It's said that it's to go over the roster. They are saying he could be named as early as tomorrow.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of not hiring Phil, none of that isn't fixable and much already has been and what the hell does someone's name have to with whether or not they can scout basketball talent or not.

You can't blame someone for making a deal that every other team in the league would have made if they had the same opportunity. It not working out is on Dwight and his attitude and approach.

If you can't see the reason Kobe was given that contract and how it doesn't hamstring the Lakers like some want to say, I can't help you.

There were only 2 difference making FA's that the Lakers made a serious bid on. Lebron was never going anywhere but Cleveland and 'Melo chose the money. There were no other FA's worth using cap space for.

Byron is meeting with the Lakers for the 3rd time today. It's said that it's to go over the roster. They are saying he could be named as early as tomorrow.

Chaz - from what I've read, the only thing people know about him is that he's a cool guy. Apparently had no basketball experience, but was jimmy's friend.

Strength and Conditioning staff - maybe its just a coincidence that everybody got hurt last year? Also very likely that the staff can't keep guys healthy. But the old staff was part of Phil's team and jimmy's weird pseudo sexual issues with his sister made them go bye bye.

The Dwight Nash deal ended up being a bad deal. I completely agree with you, it looked good on paper. But it is what it is. You get judged on results, even if in retrospect. Had it worked out he would have gotten praise for it. Since it didn't he gets the blame.

Stuck out on EVERY free agent. Melo, Stephenson, Pau, Ariza, Deng, etc... We don't have a good trend going right now. D12 leaves. Pau leaves. No free agents want to come here. Melo could have actually made more money by signing with LA. It was 5yr vs 4 yr deals. Assuming he would have gotten another max deal after 4 years - there would have been virtually no difference. Plus taxes are lower in LA than in NY. I think he chose Phil over jimmy.

If Byron was going to be our coach - which is what we have all been thinking all along - then he should have hired him during the draft; during free agency. Might have been nice for the free agents to know who their coach would have been. Unless there was some master plan that nobody knows about - this was delay without reason.

** The dude is in waaaayyyy over his head, and Laker nation hates him.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do most teams go from bottom to top? Through the draft.

We have two great upcoming player who can make an immediate impact and a big difference to the team.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:10:
Chaz - from what I've read, the only thing people know about him is that he's a cool guy. Apparently had no basketball experience, but was jimmy's friend.

Strength and Conditioning staff - maybe its just a coincidence that everybody got hurt last year? Also very likely that the staff can't keep guys healthy. But the old staff was part of Phil's team and jimmy's weird pseudo sexual issues with his sister made them go bye bye.

The Dwight Nash deal ended up being a bad deal. I completely agree with you, it looked good on paper. But it is what it is. You get judged on results, even if in retrospect. Had it worked out he would have gotten praise for it. Since it didn't he gets the blame.

Stuck out on EVERY free agent. Melo, Stephenson, Pau, Ariza, Deng, etc... We don't have a good trend going right now. D12 leaves. Pau leaves. No free agents want to come here. Melo could have actually made more money by signing with LA. It was 5yr vs 4 yr deals. Assuming he would have gotten another max deal after 4 years - there would have been virtually no difference. Plus taxes are lower in LA than in NY. I think he chose Phil over jimmy.

If Byron was going to be our coach - which is what we have all been thinking all along - then he should have hired him during the draft; during free agency. Might have been nice for the free agents to know who their coach would have been. Unless there was some master plan that nobody knows about - this was delay without reason.

:agree::10:

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jimmy cleaned house. I thought it was wrong as well. I've questioned the ability of the training staff in recent years. I don't know if it's coincidence or not. Some of the players were just old.

That's kind of lame though. Getting D12 for a lame Bynum was a great move. What he should get blamed for was not hiring Phil again.

Every free agent? Were they going after every free agent? Melo wouldn't make more in LA on a max contract. Not sure how you are coming up with that. I believe state income taxes in California are higher than NY. I think California has the highest in the country. Melo chose the highest payday and the chance to stay home.

I don't think the coaching situation made much of a difference. The players are more concerned about their contract and getting paid.

I don't think he's necessarily in "waaaayyyy" over his head, but he certainly doesn't have the personality that Dr. Buss had. This is why Jeannie needs to be more involved. She has a much more engaging personality.

trojanfight

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it was portrayed by the lakers to be a "unique" situation to have free agents be able to chime in on who they wanted to play for.

outside of the lakers it looks like a stupid idea that didn't work. no big free agents signed.. even with 2nd tier possibilities...im sure it comes up as a big joke why would I go play there...don't even know who im playing for.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What you've read and what's reality aren't necessarily the same thing. Be honest, did you even know who the Lakers scouts were before some writer decided to make a story out of it? Scouts are almost unnecessary. They don't pick or sign any players. They are sent places to look at players that are already on the teams radar. Every now and then, a scout will "discover" someone, but that's normally when they are there to see someone else.

And watch what you say about Chaz, that's my son's name.:lol:

Yes and no re: getting judged on results. Normally, a team gets slammed when they "take a flyer" and/or make what people think is a bad signing or trade. They don't normally get slammed for making a move that 100% of the other teams would have made if given the chance. Magic started that snowball when he acted like he was always against the move when it didn't work out. Think about it, why else would the Lakers basically tell a legend like that to stfu (and that came from Mitch, not Jim).

The Lakers did NOT strike out on every FA. There were only 2 that they were truly interested in and made any type of serious moves to get, Lebron and 'Melo. That's it. They sent feelers out to a couple of other guys like Stephenson and I think Deng, but never actively pursued them or anyone else.

I'm not even sure how seriously they pursued Pau. They offered him 2 years/$20 mil (which is more than he's getting in Chicago), but if they were truly serious, why not offer 2 years/$30 mil.?

'Melo is getting almost $30 million more than the Lakers could have paid him. California could have zero income tax and it won't make much of a difference. 'Melo loves NY, it's where he played in college and has always wanted to play there. If memory serves, he's actually from NY. That's why he forced his way there in the 1st place. He chose money and home over the Lakers, not Phil over Jimmy.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your memory serves you well TJF12. Carmelo Anthony was born in Brooklyn, New York in 1984.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it was portrayed by the lakers to be a "unique" situation to have free agents be able to chime in on who they wanted to play for.

outside of the lakers it looks like a stupid idea that didn't work. no big free agents signed.. even with 2nd tier possibilities...im sure it comes up as a big joke why would I go play there...don't even know who im playing for.

Tough call. The idea was that the FA's (Lebron or 'Melo) could have a say in who the coach was. There were no other FA's outside of those 2, that the Lakers actively pursued. Going after Lebron and 'Melo didn't work because Lebron was always going to Cleveland and 'Melo is staying home and getting almost $30 million more. I seriously doubt that either turned them down because they didn't have a coach, especially when they were told they could have input on the coach.

In fact, that was said to be one of the things that 'Melo liked about the Lakers pitch. He liked that, he liked the plans for the future, the professional way the Lakers presented their pitch and he liked the idea of playing alongside Kobe.

I swear, I think this should be the mascot and motto for some Lakers fans:

th