• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

You heard it first

TEB11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers WILL deal Kobe Bryant to a contender before the trade deadline. :clap:

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeannie trades him to her boyfriend?

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What contender has enough cap space or trade-able contracts to match Kobe's monstrosity of a deal?

No chance he gets traded to a "contender".

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What contender has enough cap space or trade-able contracts to match Kobe's monstrosity of a deal?

No chance he gets traded to a "contender".

Exactly. A contender likely has to give up too much to still be a contender after trading for Kobe.

In addition, the Lakers have a TV deal highly dependent on ratings. Kobe still draws. This current Lakers team without Kobe most likely doesn't. He's too important financially to the Lakers.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. A contender likely has to give up too much to still be a contender after trading for Kobe.

In addition, the Lakers have a TV deal highly dependent on ratings. Kobe still draws. This current Lakers team without Kobe most likely doesn't. He's too important financially to the Lakers.

:agree: IF and as you can see, it's a huge IF, the Lakers were to trade him, it's unlikely that it would be to a contender. It would be to a team that either is on the verge of making the playoffs or is a 6-8 seed that feels he could help get them over the hump. As you point out, a contending team would have to give up too much of what makes them a contending team.

A more likely (and only slightly more likely) scenario would be that he was traded next year since it's the final year of his contract and even then, it would have to be the proverbial "offer they can't refuse" (something along the lines of Minny trading Love because they're starting over anyway) and would only happen if they strike out in the off season.

TEB11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be a 3 team deal and there will be a taker out there. It's a matter of time before he starts complaining that the losses are piling up and no one his helping him out. It will become a distraction to the franchise and the Lakers will have no choice but to be rid of him. I am telling you, he's getting traded. There is NO way they are going to pay his salary for another year, let alone all of this year when the Lakers are just a horrible team, no way!!!!!

TEB11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.....and when I say contender, I meant a playoff contender. That could be one of sixteen teams.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why wouldn't they want to pay his salary when they make roughly 3 times that amount back off of him? How are they going to draw paying customers and justify the TV deal without Kobe? You seem to be ignoring a crucial aspect of owning a business. BTW, Kobe has said numerous times already this season that he doesn't want to go elsewhere.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be a 3 team deal and there will be a taker out there. It's a matter of time before he starts complaining that the losses are piling up and no one his helping him out. It will become a distraction to the franchise and the Lakers will have no choice but to be rid of him. I am telling you, he's getting traded. There is NO way they are going to pay his salary for another year, let alone all of this year when the Lakers are just a horrible team, no way!!!!!

If we were talking about a 25-30 year old Kobe, I would agree. However, at 36, he's not the same guy he was when he was younger. Yes, he's going to get frustrated and yes he will complain and hand out death stares like Skittles.

However, I don't see him demanding a trade. He has been with the Lakers for 19 years and he praised the FO's efforts to improve the team in the off-season. He'd look pretty bad if he started complaining about it now. He is also keenly aware of his legacy, a big part of which is that he, along with Tim Duncan, is the last of a dying breed, the player who plays a very long career for the same team.

Besides, as rule points out, it makes zero business sense for the Lakers to trade him. Kobe puts asses in seats and money in the Lakers pockets. Even though they aren't going to win a lot of games this season, people will show up to see him chase records and for the opportunity to see one of the all-time greats before he retires.

Additionally, Kobe has a no-trade clause, so even if the Lakers wanted to trade him, they can't unless he agrees to it. For their part, the Lakers knew that giving him that much money would make him virtually untradeable and chose to give it to him anyway. That indicates that they have no intention of trading him.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeannie Buss mentioned this a few days ago " Kobe has a no trade clause in his contract"

He ain't going anywhere folks. :nono:

ImlYX.gif

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured Lakers fans understood about the no trade clause. Then again, is TEB a Lakers fan :noidea:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobe is not going anywhere anytime soon especially if Swag Daddy is coming back in a week or so. He'll get some help in a number of areas. Besides, the swag man just bought a house with Iggy Azaela in LA and of course Mrs Kobe will spend some quality time over there once the Swag Daddy stars throwing down the threes. lol.

Yep, the key is the No-Trade clause in the contract.

TheSnowdog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I'm sure the Sixers will be willing to be part of any multi-team trade as long as it depletes their already pathetic roster even more and improve on their tanking which they have down to a science anyways

9 losses in the books...73 more to go...

:drink:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I'm sure the Sixers will be willing to be part of any multi-team trade as long as it depletes their already pathetic roster even more and improve on their tanking which they have down to a science anyways

9 losses in the books...73 more to go...

:drink:

:lol: Like the screen name. Rush fan?

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they did it would be to a major market team that thinks they could keep him, and that major team would have to be in the bottom of the league so LAL feels they could get a top pick for him.

LAC, NYK, NJN, CHI would be about all I could see him being dealt to. No idea about their cap room, but no smaller market is going to give anything up knowing he is gone ASAP.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes - give that man a cigar :yahoo:

Been a Rush fan since high school (2112 album hooked me). In my younger days, I used to go to their concerts every year. Took my son to see them on their most recent tour.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me too TJF12. Have many of their collections on CD. Really loved the clockwork tour and wanted to see them last January here in Phoenix but the concert sold out in like a few hours. Those three sure do put the best metal on the planet. ZZ Tops on steroids.