• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Yankees Sign Carlos Beltran

Nyfan1980

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beltran had a larger offer from the D'Backs.

The Yankees should have a good team next year if guys stay healthy, which was a big problem last season. Got to figure out some of the IF positions and get one more SP and fill out the bullpen.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, love Beltran, gonna be weird seeing him with the Janks. Can Soriano still play 2nd? Have to wonder, who is left in the Choo sweepstakes?

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, love Beltran, gonna be weird seeing him with the Janks. Can Soriano still play 2nd? Have to wonder, who is left in the Choo sweepstakes?

suprise_laugh.gif

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah cause the Reds are just dying to trade away one of their best rbi guys for a 30 year old outfielder that doesn't hit for power

Is that saying much? He had the 3rd most RBI chances in all of baseball (492 runners on base for him this season), so is getting 100 RBI all that impressive when you consider all those chances? Not to mention, he has trouble getting on base and made the 5th most outs in the NL in 2013.

Phillips is really overrated by many imo.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that saying much? He had the 3rd most RBI chances in all of baseball (492 runners on base for him this season), so is getting 100 RBI all that impressive when you consider all those chances? Not to mention, he has trouble getting on base and made the 5th most outs in the NL in 2013.

Phillips is really overrated by many imo.

People forget that Choo inflated Phillips RBI numbers to an incredible degree.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent signing for a perfect amount of time.

Up to $143 million in dedicated payroll for 2014 now. Can't wait to see what they do with the other 46 million.

I'm not sure it's that good. He wasn't signed to DH, and if he was Soriano is going to be in the OF. And I'm not convinced Jeter is going to be an everyday SS, I think he's going to have to DH some.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Could he ever play 2nd? Lol. There's a reason he was moved haha

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do people think Gardner has a rag arm? His arm certainly isn't great and won't wow anyone, but he's fundamentally perfect, always hits the cutoff man and always throws to the right base. What he lacks in gunning guys out at the plate, he makes up for by not letting guys take extra bases.

I think you laid out the main reasons why someone would consider BG's arm raggy. I consider him a good player, someone Id definitely want in my outfield and in my lineup. (I'd take him as Detroits leftfielder and leadoff man, and after the Elsbury signing it could be a possibility. Slim odds though) Knowing how to overcompensate for his shortcomings and playing within himself doesn't change the fact his arm is very low grade strength wise.

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cards are really going to be hurting if they can't find another power hitter for their lineup. Are they going to hit the FA market to find one?

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cards are really going to be hurting if they can't find another power hitter for their lineup. Are they going to hit the FA market to find one?

C- Molina
1st - Adams
2nd - Wong
SS - Peralta
3B - Carpenter
LF - Holliday
CF - Bourjos
RF - Craig

I also have wondered if Craig will play third (moving Matt Carpenter to 2nd) later in the year if/when Taveras is called up to play RF.

Regardless, that lineup looks good enough for me. Especially with the pitching staff they have. My biggest concern is Matt Adams because I'm not sold on the fact that he is ready. I doubt they find a power bat at second base and I doubt they sign a RF since it'll probably belong to Taveras by the end of the year.

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Especially in regard to pitching. But for the past decade or so, they had some big bats that always had the potential to keep them in games, or to come back and win games. They didn't have lots of power last year--even with Beltran--so I was curious as to what direction they're headed. I don't follow them that closely.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Especially in regard to pitching. But for the past decade or so, they had some big bats that always had the potential to keep them in games, or to come back and win games. They didn't have lots of power last year--even with Beltran--so I was curious as to what direction they're headed. I don't follow them that closely.

With Craig back and a replacement for Beltran in the minor leagues I think they'll be fine. The top of the order was pretty good last year, what hurt them the most was the fact that they had three almost automatic outs at the bottom of the order late in the year.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seriously??? He couldn't play 2B in his 20s. What makes you think he can do it now?

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you laid out the main reasons why someone would consider BG's arm raggy. I consider him a good player, someone Id definitely want in my outfield and in my lineup. (I'd take him as Detroits leftfielder and leadoff man, and after the Elsbury signing it could be a possibility. Slim odds though) Knowing how to overcompensate for his shortcomings and playing within himself doesn't change the fact his arm is very low grade strength wise.

I'd rather have a guy with Gardner's arm who always hits the cutoff man and throws to the right base than a guy like Melky Cabrera who is constantly airmailing throws trying to show off his arm and allowing runners to take extra bases. Having a strong outfield arm might be the most overrated attribute in baseball. It can be a detriment if used improperly, and most of the guys with big arms don't use it properly.

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah cause the Reds are just dying to trade away one of their best rbi guys for a 30 year old outfielder that doesn't hit for power

I don't think Gardner/Phillips would be straight up, but it would be worth talking about in my opinion.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question for Yankee fans, why was there no intention on the Yankees part to bring Granderson back? Was it simply a matter of each wanting something different?

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question for Yankee fans, why was there no intention on the Yankees part to bring Granderson back? Was it simply a matter of each wanting something different?

I think it was partially that.

One think I do remember about him....he was very streaky. He could go 2 months being your best/hottest hitter then he can go 2 months your worst hitter. I don't know if that played a part in anything, but it drove me nuts how he'd go from one extreme to the other.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure it's that good. He wasn't signed to DH, and if he was Soriano is going to be in the OF. And I'm not convinced Jeter is going to be an everyday SS, I think he's going to have to DH some.

Jeter isn't going to be an everyday shortstop if Girardi is a competent manager.