• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Yankees and CJ

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A report on ESPN.com says that while the Yankees are interested in CJ, they are not likely to go to the $100 million mark on a deal.

Sounds to me that they are not likely to go up to $20 million per year, and probably won't go as high as 5 years.

This probably also means that the Yankees are not going to attempt to outbid the Rangers on this one either.

I see the rogue player in this being the Nationals. They broke the bank last year on really wanted in on the Lee sweepstakes. The difference with CJ is that he has a buddy on the Nationals (not sure who, but he mentioned after the WS that he was attending the wedding of his "buddy on the Nationals"), so there may be some comfort level there that Lee didn't have.

I get the feeling that the Rangers are going to offer CJ 4 years guaranteed at somewhere around $15-17 million per with a player/club option for a 5th year. If someone wants to go upto $20 million per or guarantee the 5th year, then he's gone. Just don't expect that deal coming from the Yankees.

kennyt12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A report on ESPN.com says that while the Yankees are interested in CJ, they are not likely to go to the $100 million mark on a deal.

Sounds to me that they are not likely to go up to $20 million per year, and probably won't go as high as 5 years.

This probably also means that the Yankees are not going to attempt to outbid the Rangers on this one either.

I see the rogue player in this being the Nationals. They broke the bank last year on really wanted in on the Lee sweepstakes. The difference with CJ is that he has a buddy on the Nationals (not sure who, but he mentioned after the WS that he was attending the wedding of his "buddy on the Nationals"), so there may be some comfort level there that Lee didn't have.

I get the feeling that the Rangers are going to offer CJ 4 years guaranteed at somewhere around $15-17 million per with a player/club option for a 5th year. If someone wants to go upto $20 million per or guarantee the 5th year, then he's gone. Just don't expect that deal coming from the Yankees.

I love how in one report the Yankees believe he's a number 3 starter and then the next article they're trying to sign him. I knew they were just stirring up stuff the get his value down.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love how in one report the Yankees believe he's a number 3 starter and then the next article they're trying to sign him. I knew they were just stirring up stuff the get his value down.

have to agree. i think the Yankees are trying to mess with us

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
have to agree. i think the Yankees are trying to mess with us

Meh. Shouldn't come as a surprise that there is mention of CJ and NY. NY has money and needs pitching and he's available. Nothing much here for the Rangers to get concerned about till some long green is put on the table.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. Shouldn't come as a surprise that there is mention of CJ and NY. NY has money and needs pitching and he's available. Nothing much here for the Rangers to get concerned about till some long green is put on the table.

with big contract signing of CC and with Nova i don't see much real interest there

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with big contract signing of CC and with Nova i don't see much real interest there

I'm not to sure about that. There isn't much after Nova except Hughes and he's a question mark. CJ's a solid three there and NY has the money to pay him more to pitch as a three. I forgot Burnett but he's sort of shaky, too.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not to sure about that. There isn't much after Nova except Hughes and he's a question mark. CJ's a solid three there and NY has the money to pay him more to pitch as a three. I forgot Burnett but he's sort of shaky, too.

maybe but i've been reading that the Yankees aren't going to be big spenders now.

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If CJ gets 90-100 million from the Yankees then he should jump on it. I really like the guy a lot and think he is a heck of a solid pitcher but I am not sure what his career arc is going to be. Is he going to be like Zito or Pavano or a ton of others who got big cash and then couldn't live up to it or is he going to be a terrific pitcher from here on out. I just don't know. I like to think he is going to be very good but he has already lost a couple of mph on that fastball over the last couple of years. Who knows? Seems like someone needs to be a soothsayer to get this one right.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If CJ gets 90-100 million from the Yankees then he should jump on it. I really like the guy a lot and think he is a heck of a solid pitcher but I am not sure what his career arc is going to be. Is he going to be like Zito or Pavano or a ton of others who got big cash and then couldn't live up to it or is he going to be a terrific pitcher from here on out. I just don't know. I like to think he is going to be very good but he has already lost a couple of mph on that fastball over the last couple of years. Who knows? Seems like someone needs to be a soothsayer to get this one right.

don't see the yankees offering anywhere near that. oh welcome back

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thanks, I'll be around from time to time but I've been spending time over at Huzzah and of course I have a lot of commitments with my time.

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They might be "interested" in driving up the price on CJ thereby limiting the Rangers ability to re-sign other guys or to sign someone, say Prince Fielder.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They might be "interested" in driving up the price on CJ thereby limiting the Rangers ability to re-sign other guys or to sign someone, say Prince Fielder.

have to wait and see

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe but i've been reading that the Yankees aren't going to be big spenders now.

You would think they would wise up one day, but they have a very demanding fan base and they have to spend to keep them happy. Is CC worth what he's getting paid? Hell no, but the PR would kill them if he would up here or in Boston. Besides, not winning championships looks better with a $200 million pay roll. They'll spend because the have to and they have it. JMO

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure CC isn't worth it. They may all be overpaid but that guy can pitch and pitch well. He also isn't afraid of that little league stadium they play in. Got to give him some serious credit. He goes out every game and competes his ass off. He has been extremely durable and his peripherals are always great. The man is a horse.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd be surprised if NYY goes after Pujols or Fielder with big $$$ to be the DH, but then again its NYY, so who knows. If they go after CJ its because they want him. And if they want him, they'll pay him. And at anything more than $15m a year, they can have him. We can sign some one solid like Buehlre and get Fielder. We'd most certainly have to go get a guy like Shields if we lose CJ though. We may need Shields regardless.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we would've had someone like shields I honestly think Texas wins the WS.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If we would've had someone like shields I honestly think Texas wins the WS.

Agreed. I think CJ would have done better as the #2. People forget but the guy actually started off the 2010 postseason pitching like a stud! Game 1 @ TB I think he threw 6 or 7 shut out innings. And then he really pitched a dominant game against the Yankees for 7 innings before things got out of hand in the 8th. This year Adams/Ogando would have started the 8th in that particular situation (Ogando probably should have started the 8th that game anyway but Wash is Wash). CJ really just had one bad start last postseason - game 5 at NYY. He pitched pretty well against SF, too. Heck, if not for the blister and that crazy fluke non-HR double by Kinsler - who knows, he may have won that game, too, against Matt Cain.

Last edited by a moderator:

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
still think that Shields will cost way too much in our top 10 prospects