• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Would you rather...

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a game my daughter likes to play with me when she's bored. "Would you rather..." then you offer two awful choices and make the other person pick one.

We still have one final game for the Broncos and it's a game that can make a big difference to the AFC playoff seeding. With that said, the Broncos are out and the playoffs are therefore about 0.0000005% as interesting to me as they'd be with the Broncos in them. Still, there's some compelling reasons to watch the playoffs as some of the Broncos biggest rivals are still in the contest. And with 4 out of 6 (and probably the strongest 4 out of 6 at that) AFC playoff teams being major Broncos rivals, it's nearly inevitable that a team we don't necessarily care for is going to have a good playoff run.

So here's my question: would you rather see the Texans and/or Dolphins go on an improbable run and ensure the likes of the Raiders, Chiefs, Steelers and Patriots have zero playoff success or would you rather see one of these 4 reach the Super Bowl only to get railed by whoever wins the NFC?

Consider:

Raiders and Chiefs: These two need no introduction. The Raiders are 3-2 in the Super Bowl and the last time they reached the Super Bowl it was delightful. The ensuing years were dismal for them, and maybe something similar would happen this time around. Would it be worth watching the Raiders in the Super Bowl if they got beat decisively again, then followed up with several more years of malaise? As for the Chiefs, they're 1-1 in the Super Bowl but haven't been since the 1969 season. Following the Broncos loss to the Seahawks Chiefs fans talked a lot of trash even though their team lost a playoff game they led by 28 at one point. I distinctly recall a lot of their fans claiming it's better to not even reach the Super Bowl than get blown out in it. How fitting would it be if they reached the Super Bowl but got destroyed 41-3 or something insane like that? Would it be worth having to watch them in the Super Bowl for that?

Patriots: We discussed earlier this year how the Patriots are in all actuality the Broncos biggest rival of this era. Perhaps the Raiders and Chiefs both posting great seasons this year will change that to some degree but over the past 5-6 years it's definitely been the Pats. And a look at how Pats fans react when talking about the Broncos it's clear the Broncos have been the Pats biggest rival too. Some show a healthy respect (We have some great Pats fans here on SportsHoopla) and others display an open contempt for the only team that has consistently beat the Pats since the BB-Brady era. With 8 Super Bowls already to their Credit, another trip for the Pats would mean 9: more than any other team in the league (unless Dallas won the NFC). But with 4 losses, the Pats would be one loss away from joining the Broncos as the only team 5 Super Bowl losses. Would that league record 9 Super Bowls be worth it if the Pats, the greatest team of this era, co-owned the dubious honor of most Super Bowl losses?

Steelers: The Steelers are a quiet and distant rival to the Broncos. There's no bad blood here like the afore mentioned 3 teams either. But look at the Broncos playoff history and the Steelers show up more than any other team. And like the Pats, the Steelers sit atop the league in Super Bowl appearances AND wins! At 6-2 the Steelers are poised to distance themselves from the pack should they win another SB. With that said, because there doesn't seem to be the bad blood here that there is with these other rivals, would you rather see them reach a 9th Super Bowl, even if it meant a 7th win?

My take:

I'm hoping the Dolphins go on an improbable run from that 6th seed. I have a few reasons for this, from the Adam Gase connection to a close friend who is a Dolphins fan who sat with me and cheered on the Broncos as they won the Super Bowl over the Panthers. Short of that, I'd rather see the Steelers represent the AFC in the Super Bowl and am actually indifferent to them winning or losing. I guess it would depend on their opponent. Lastly, should the Patriots, Chiefs or Raiders reach the Super Bowl the game would still have a lot of appeal to me but only because I'd want to see those teams lose as outlined above.

The seeding will be finalized in a few short days. I'll update this as the playoffs go along. The NFC playoffs may affect my stance as well (wouldn't it suck to have a Pats-Raiders-Chiefs vs Seahawks Super Bowl) so we'll see what happens week to week.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dolphins they have a coach that is a Bronco that left with plenty good things done . He damn well was a great Broncos I would love to see him beat the crap out of the rest of the league

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want them reaching the Super Bowl. Steelers I could be fine with as honestly just not the hate for them as what I have for the other 3.

The others I would love to see a one and done and those fans having to see a promising season just go down the tube. No reason to get their fans thinking more of their season than what it has been so far.

Right now in the AFC definitely cheering for the Dolphins and Adam Gase. I love that he is having success with the Dolphins early on as I thought he was a great coach who deeply cared about the success of this team. He was the one coach from the Fox era that I was hoping we could find a way to keep around and groom him to be our HC eventually.

Beyond that would love to see Detroit or Atlanta win the Super Bowl. Detroit because well those fans have earned a Super Bowl by sticking with their team through all that they have been put through. Atlanta I just really like how they have put that offense together and I don't think I have said it enough how much I would love for Kyle Shanahan to be our next HC.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do not want to see pats win
I'd also like to see the chiefs get humiliated
Outside of those two, rooting for green bay

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My hope is:

Broncos win this weekend and finish 9-7, dropping the Raiders to 12-4. My guess is the Chiefs beat the Chargers and finish 12-4, so they move to the #2 seed. The Steelers and Texans are locked into their respective seeds, though I consider the Steelers a lock to win even if they rest starters. The Dolphins don't need a win against the Patriots, though my guess they go all in to win in an effort to damage the Pats shot at HFA (that game is before the Broncos-Raiders so a Pats loss means the Raiders can still get the #1 seed).

The seeds:

1. Patriots: 14-2 or 13-3
2. Chiefs: 12-4
3. Steelers: 11-5
4. Texans: 10-6 or 9-7
5. Raiders: 12-4
6. Dolphins: 11-5 or 10-6

That's my projection. My guess is because of the dynamic between rivals, the Dolphins have the best shot to go into Foxboro and upset the Patriots. I'd put the Steelers as the other contender to knock off the Patriots. If the seeds line up the way I project it's bad news for the Patriots because one of the Dolphins or Steelers will still be around after the first round.

With Carr out I'd actually give the Texans a slight edge at home over the Raiders.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I had my wish
Dolphins vs Falcons

my least favorite 5 teams are in the playoffs.

4 of 6 in the AFC

Patriots
Raiders
Chiefs
Steelers
Cowboys

May not be a real fun playoff.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh yeah and even though I dislike both. I root for the Raiders over the Chiefs when it means nothing for Denver.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest, I probably won't care that much until it gets to the Championship games and the Super Bowl. This season is lost to me. I've never been a fan that would pull for and AFC West participant to support the ole division. I ALWAYS want our AFCW rivals to lose.

More than anything, I want the Broncos to come out on fire this Sunday and whoop up on the Raiders. That is the only thing that I care about now.

I need a drink...

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest, I probably won't care that much until it gets to the Championship games and the Super Bowl. This season is lost to me. I've never been a fan that would pull for and AFC West participant to support the ole division. I ALWAYS want our AFCW rivals to lose.

More than anything, I want the Broncos to come out on fire this Sunday and whoop up on the Raiders. That is the only thing that I care about now.

I need a drink...

I am 100% with you on this. It simply doesn't compute to me when a fan roots for a rival simply because they are rooting for a division. Watching the Broncos win is the best part of football. The next best thing is watching our rivals lose, especially in the playoffs. Seeing the Chargers lack of discipline undermine a 14-2 season and result in a one-n-done in the 2006 playoffs was great. Seeing the Bucs take the Raiders apart WAY BACK in 2002 was incredible. Seeing the Chiefs piss away a 38-10 lead was awesome.

I also agree I want to see the Broncos kick the shit out of the Raiders this week. It's not a meaningless game. The Raiders have a shot to lock in HFA in the playoffs. A Broncos win could make the difference between the Raiders being in position to make a run or be more likely to be one-n-done and this year of the Raiders return to the playoffs being little more than a footnote in NFL history.

Both the Raiders and Chiefs were better teams this year than the Broncos, but if they don't get into the playoffs and make some noise nobody will care. They will have wasted a down year from the Broncos. My guess is the Broncos return stronger in 2017.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather the patriots not even make it to the SB. The rest of the AFC I want to see get blown out.

DC summed up my thoughts. Two AFCW rivals, the steelers, and the pats are 4 teams I really don't want to have any sort of success. With Manning retired it is time for new blood in the SB contender from AFC.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all for "Three Games to Glory" for the Patriots. I don't hate any of the AFC teams in the playoffs this year.
I don't even hate the Broncos. Now although I don't hate the Dolphins, I would enjoy the Patriots knocking the Dolphins out of the playoffs......

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Packers/Patsies Super Bowl with Rodgers out-dueling Brady and the Pack wins.

Would like to see the Lions make some noise.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Packers/Patsies Super Bowl with Rodgers out-dueling Brady and the Pack wins.

Would like to see the Lions make some noise.
So much for Denver destroying Rodgers. Looks like he has woken back up. Always love watching Rodgers play when he is on fire .

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I had my druthers or rathers, I prefer a Steelers vs GB or Cowboy SB. NE and KC are boring. So is Miami. Steelers exciting offense. Can't go wrong anytime with Rodgers and might just see Romo if Dak goes awry. My take anyway.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a lot of friends who are Packer faithful. It wouldn't bother me to see them get there.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be interested in seeing the Pats vs Cowboys in the Super Bowl

In my book, there are the Broncos, and then every other team, so at this point, I hold no grudges or dislike any one team more than another

As much as it might sound wrong coming from a Bronco fan, years from now I think we will all realize what the Brady / Belichick teams meant in the history of the game ... As fans of the NFL, we are seeing one of the greatest teams ever, with one of the greatest QBs ever - that, to me, is more appealing than seeing some flash in the pan team like the Rex Grossman led Bears of a few years ago ..

Plus, it will make it even more special when the Broncos knock the Pats out next year ;)

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW I would not be a tiny bit surprised if the Texans beat the Raiders next week. After a 30-0 beat down last year for Houston plus the Raiders seemingly limping now the conditions are right for the Texans to pull off the win at home. And assuming the Steelers win at home against the Dokphin I'd be willing to bet they go into KC and knock off the Chiefs.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Chiefs win the Super Bowl - it will take away their motivation for 5 seasons at least.

For rooting - I do like the Fins - the Steelers. I don't think the Cowboys win the Super Bowl - they have already played their best football of the season.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless someone starts another one I suppose this thread works well enough as the playoff thread.

Texans 20, Raiders 7 at halftime. Raiders dealt a tough blow with the loss of Carr, and without question we will hear excuses the entire off season, regardless of the outcome of this game. I'm glad to see Oz playing well. It helps he's playing the Raiders, but I am glad he's got the Texans in good shape in this one.