• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Would you rather...

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
F the Raiders I hate the ground they walk on . I hate there F coach as well .

May they never win another game again .

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Texans offense has slipped out of gear and back into neutral but their defense and special teams are looking great today.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the Raiders go down in a whimper really, losing 27-14 to the Texans. Did injuries do them in? Perhaps, but if you can't compete with injuries you can't compete. Last I checked the Texans best player was standing on the sidelines too, so no excuses for the Raiders! One-n-done for them and an unspectacular ending to an otherwise great season (especially by Raiders standards). With that said, they will be one of the more discussed teams this off season.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the Raiders go down in a whimper really, losing 27-14 to the Texans. Did injuries do them in? Perhaps, but if you can't compete with injuries you can't compete. Last I checked the Texans best player was standing on the sidelines too, so no excuses for the Raiders! One-n-done for them and an unspectacular ending to an otherwise great season (especially by Raiders standards). With that said, they will be one of the more discussed teams this off season.

Throw in the whole back up QB thing is no excuse since the Texans had their back up in the game as well.

Told Raiders fans all year that the depth on that team was lacking. They spent big to get the starting unit looking great but ignored depth in the process. We saw today the huge drop off in talent when that happens.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Throw in the whole back up QB thing is no excuse since the Texans had their back up in the game as well.

Told Raiders fans all year that the depth on that team was lacking. They spent big to get the starting unit looking great but ignored depth in the process. We saw today the huge drop off in talent when that happens.

I couldn't agree more. And after so many years of being league bottom feeders, a 12-4 season and deep playoff run would have been a huge story. Instead it'll be little more than a footnote in NFL history. It feels good to know the Broncos had a major hand in altering the course of the Raiders season. All the Raiders needed was to beat a skidding 8-7 Broncos team that was out of the playoffs already and they'd have had a first round bye. They got the shit kicked out of them by the Broncos that day and instead of 13-3 and a first round bye it was 12-4 and a roadie to Houston where the league's #1 defense made them look like the 2003-2015 Raiders! And the Broncos remain the premier franchise in the AFC West.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Brock vs a true practice squad QB

In think in this situation the 3rd string QB was 90 % of the issue today
Heck even crab and cooper failed cook today

Raiders beats Houston with Carr

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In think in this situation the 3rd string QB was 90 % of the issue today
Heck even crab and cooper failed cook today

Raiders beats Houston with Carr

I would say Cook was definitely part of the problem but far from the only problem. Defense gave up a ton of points to a terrible offense (2 weeks in a row now). OL for the 2nd week in a row struggled to block. WR's were dropping passes everywhere. RB's were not breaking many tackles like earlier in the year. Yeah Carr made a lot of that go but still again just showed Carr covered up a lot of warts on this team for the Raiders.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also that game earlier in the year against the Texans had some ridiculously controversial calls go in the Raiders favor.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say Cook was definitely part of the problem but far from the only problem. Defense gave up a ton of points to a terrible offense (2 weeks in a row now). OL for the 2nd week in a row struggled to block. WR's were dropping passes everywhere. RB's were not breaking many tackles like earlier in the year. Yeah Carr made a lot of that go but still again just showed Carr covered up a lot of warts on this team for the Raiders.

I noticed this too. When WRs are wide open and dropping as many passes as the Raiders did today it probably wouldn't have made a big difference who was throwing them. A NFL WR gets paid to catch the ball, and having a new QB throwing it is just an excuse.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I noticed this too. When WRs are wide open and dropping as many passes as the Raiders did today it probably wouldn't have made a big difference who was throwing them. A NFL WR gets paid to catch the ball, and having a new QB throwing it is just an excuse.

It doesn't help that especially Crabtree the entire season had struggled with drops. He would make these ridiculous catches that leaving you in awe then drop the easy ones.

Something else to keep in mind is the Raiders were +16 in turnover differential. Turnovers are not the easiest stat to continue to repeat. Wouldn't surprise me to see them drop in that area making some of those close games go the other way.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't help that especially Crabtree the entire season had struggled with drops. He would make these ridiculous catches that leaving you in awe then drop the easy ones.

Something else to keep in mind is the Raiders were +16 in turnover differential. Turnovers are not the easiest stat to continue to repeat. Wouldn't surprise me to see them drop in that area making some of those close games go the other way.

Especially if they are unable to take that next step on defense. On offense they should be a juggernaut again. I don't know what their FA situation is like but seems Carr-Cooper and that O-line make up the core of what should be a top flight unit again. But on defense they've got to get to the next level. They had their moments and a pretty solid run this year, but overall when you let this year's Broncos hang 24 on you then the following week in the playoffs let an EVEN WORSE offense ring you for 27...something's gotta be done. Reggie Mac will probably take some steps to correct things but will JDR be able to maximize what he's given? I'm guessing not.

Before the season I said the Raiders would be 10-6 and win a playoff game. They were 12-4 and just got run over by what many considered the weakest of the playoff teams. Either way I think we may have just seen the Raiders under JDR reach their high water mark. That we won't know for a couple more years.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Especially if they are unable to take that next step on defense. On offense they should be a juggernaut again. I don't know what their FA situation is like but seems Carr-Cooper and that O-line make up the core of what should be a top flight unit again. But on defense they've got to get to the next level. They had their moments and a pretty solid run this year, but overall when you let this year's Broncos hang 24 on you then the following week in the playoffs let an EVEN WORSE offense ring you for 27...something's gotta be done. Reggie Mac will probably take some steps to correct things but will JDR be able to maximize what he's given? I'm guessing not.

Before the season I said the Raiders would be 10-6 and win a playoff game. They were 12-4 and just got run over by what many considered the weakest of the playoff teams. Either way I think we may have just seen the Raiders under JDR reach their high water mark. That we won't know for a couple more years.

Well remember they also had to have the most 4th quarter come backs in NFL history this season. That obviously is not the norm. They had plenty go their way. It happens. We had that last year. We have plenty of games that could have gone the other way. This year that happened where things just didn't go our way like last year. Shows that what separates many of these teams is sometimes just how the ball bounces on the field.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well remember they also had to have the most 4th quarter come backs in NFL history this season. That obviously is not the norm. They had plenty go their way. It happens. We had that last year. We have plenty of games that could have gone the other way. This year that happened where things just didn't go our way like last year. Shows that what separates many of these teams is sometimes just how the ball bounces on the field.

This is a good point. I suppose it's entirely possible the Raiders improve and these fourth quarter comebacks are less a part of their success next year. But we also know progression of a team in the NFL is not uniform or linear so it's just as likely (especially considering their HC) that the Raiders are 7-9 again next year.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a good point. I suppose it's entirely possible the Raiders improve and these fourth quarter comebacks are less a part of their success next year. But we also know progression of a team in the NFL is not uniform or linear so it's just as likely (especially considering their HC) that the Raiders are 7-9 again next year.

Carr alone makes them a 7-9 type team. I'm willing to concede that kid is a special player. So I still expect them to have a winning record this next season (obviously need to see what happens this off season). I just know with Del Rio as the HC I just expect them to implode when it matters most. They went 1-3 against playoff teams this year with the one win being against the Texans in a controversial game. So they still have a ways to go to show they belong completely with the big dogs.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carr alone makes them a 7-9 type team. I'm willing to concede that kid is a special player. So I still expect them to have a winning record this next season (obviously need to see what happens this off season). I just know with Del Rio as the HC I just expect them to implode when it matters most. They went 1-3 against playoff teams this year with the one win being against the Texans in a controversial game. So they still have a ways to go to show they belong completely with the big dogs.

Solid points, once again. A lot can change in the NFL in one season and a team with Carr and an offense like the Raiders could really be a force, or they can JDR'd to a mediocre season. My guess is the Chiefs are going to be solid again next year and the Broncos as well, with the Chargers still good enough to spoil things for any of the above (those that much is harder to predict given their coaching situation: it's not the same sort of transition as what the Broncos are going through).

For now I'm content that the Raiders flamed out. Here's to the Chiefs doing the same thing next week!

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oakland Raiders 2017 Free Agents

ContractsActive

Salary Cap2016

Multi-YearBreakdowns

PositionalSpending

Free Agents2017

Viewing:​
Player (13)
Pos.

From

To

2016 AAV

Status

Market Value
SmithMalcolm Smith ILB 27 OAK TBD $3,500,000 UFA 0-
AllenNate Allen FS 29 OAK TBD $3,000,000 UFA 0-
HaydenD.J. Hayden CB 26 OAK TBD $2,580,925 UFA 0-
McGloinMatt McGloin QB 27 OAK TBD $2,553,000 UFA 0-
HolmesAndre Holmes WR 28 OAK TBD $2,000,000 UFA 0-
WatsonMenelik Watson RT 28 OAK TBD $1,198,713 UFA 0-
CondoJon Condo LS 35 OAK TBD $1,066,667 UFA 0-
TrawickBrynden Trawick SS 27 OAK TBD $825,000 UFA 0-
RileyPerry Riley ILB 28 OAK TBD $760,000 UFA 0-
BatesDaren Bates ILB 26 OAK TBD $675,000 UFA 0-
MurrayLatavius Murray RB 25 OAK TBD $566,550 UFA Market Value
RiveraMychal Rivera TE 26 OAK TBD $566,213 UFA 0-
McGeeStacy McGee DT 26 OAK TBD $559,670 UFA

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SmithMalcolm Smith ILB 27 OAK TBD $3,500,000 UFA 0-
AllenNate Allen FS 29 OAK TBD $3,000,000 UFA 0-
HaydenD.J. Hayden CB 26 OAK TBD $2,580,925 UFA 0-
McGloinMatt McGloin QB 27 OAK TBD $2,553,000 UFA 0-
HolmesAndre Holmes WR 28 OAK TBD $2,000,000 UFA 0-
WatsonMenelik Watson RT 28 OAK TBD $1,198,713 UFA 0-
CondoJon Condo LS 35 OAK TBD $1,066,667 UFA 0-
TrawickBrynden Trawick SS 27 OAK TBD $825,000 UFA 0-
RileyPerry Riley ILB 28 OAK TBD $760,000 UFA 0-
BatesDaren Bates ILB 26 OAK TBD $675,000 UFA 0-
MurrayLatavius Murray RB 25 OAK TBD $566,550 UFA Market Value
RiveraMychal Rivera TE 26 OAK TBD $566,213 UFA 0-
McGeeStacy McGee DT 26 OAK TBD $559,670 UFA

It's actually not the worst FA picture for them, but it isn't great news either considering they're going to have to ante up for Carr here pretty soon. I think they have some pretty good cap space in 2017 though. Reggie Mac has been pretty good in that regard: getting the team out of salary cap hell and into a spot where the cap numbers are tied to players who are actually contributing.

In other news the Seahawks beat the Lions 26-6 last night. I don't think there are any surprises there. I was hoping the Lions would be able to pull the upset but not surprised they weren't able to. Next week the Seahawks will be @ Falcons. That'll be interesting to see how our HC candidate takes on that Seahawks D.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raiders gave up ~290 yards of total offense . 2 Texans TD drives were 4 yard and 53 yard drives.
Kinda hard to blame a defense for a 2 play 4 yard TD drive and it does not help a defense when your offense at one point in the game had 7 straight drives that generated ~25 yard of total offense ( 1.5 yards per play) . Eventually field position will be in the other teams favor for simple FGs or 50 yard TD drives.

Normal number of drives in an NFL game is 8-9. Texans has about twice as many because OAKLAND offense sucked.

With Derek Carr as QB, I think Oak played well enough on defense to win.

You will win alot of games in the NFL regardless of your defense when your QB throws 28TD and 6INTs through 15 games

Last edited:

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ On the 4 yard drive I'll buy it. With the Texans offense, anytime they drive 50+ yards on your D AND punch it in you're not playing good football. That Texans offense, while decent on the ground, was even worse than the Broncos this year. They averaged just over 17 PPG all season and the 27 they hung on the Raiders was equal to a season high for them. Yards are great but points are what matter, and giving up 27 to the Texans is pretty bad.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Replacing one of the top QBs is pretty much impossible. Once Carr went down, the Raiders hopes to go far were over. I'm not in the majority - a key loss, especially to a Pro Bowl QB, is an acceptable excuse.