• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Would you let your child go to Penn State?

Would you let your child go to Penn State?

• Yes, but not for football

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's my child's legacy to go to PSU.

• Yes, I'm such a huge fan that it's been my lifelong dream for my child to go to PSU.

• Total voters

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6 of the top 25, big deal. That means 19 aren't in "large metro areas". And that list includes 3 (used to 5) Big 12 schools. A kid from Oklahoma, Kansas or Texas is not going to impressed with big towns...

Yup. And A&M falls squarely in that list of Ag schools. It has slipped a bit in rankings and maybe I'm biased, but I get the feeling that A&M is still one of the top schools nationally for Ag and vet.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Smart,

Are you an only child?

Of course.

And those of us with real life results will continue to disagree with your opinion based empirical results.

My opinion-based empirical results? I just showed you US News rankings based on what vet schools are higher. That's not my opinion...that is based on the opinion of a large and germane sample consisting of the opinion of professionals in the field, academics in the field, funding, etc.

Also, I just showed you the Princeton Review top ten college town list. The results of a huge national survey show students are happier in big cities. The only people arguing based solely on their own opinion is you guys.

Anyways, unless somebody can produce something worthwhile to challenge my conclusion, i'm out of here. I'm glad you guys enjoyed your college experiences in small towns. The facts still show that people in bigger cities enjoy their lives more. Common sense also dictates that if my kid didn't want to be a drunk/druggie (as I hope they wouldn't), they'd have more entertainment options in a big city. Because of this, i'd do everything in my power to sway my kid away from a State College or a Champaign and towards a Minneapolis or a Columbus or an Austin.

There's really not much more for me to say.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oklahoma City University, often referred to as OCU, is a coeducational, urban, private university historically affiliated with the United Methodist Church. It is located in the midtown district of Oklahoma City, in the U.S. state of Oklahoma.

Kind of like the SMU of Oklahoma, just not as big, but hell Oklahoma Central U in Edmond right north of OKC is bigger these days. But OU and OSU will always get the majority of the kids. A lot of kids in Tulsa and OKC go to Norman and Stillwater to get away from the parents. :D

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. And A&M falls squarely in that list of Ag schools. It has slipped a bit in rankings and maybe I'm biased, but I get the feeling that A&M is still one of the top schools nationally for Ag and vet.

Ag and vet?

We ag skools r nothing but a bunch of farm boys and rodio klowns, duh......

(from another Ag school grad, who is the son of an ag school grad (top doctor in DC area) and grandson of an ag school grad (full colonel, US Army and head of chemical engineering for a major fortune 500 company)

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course.

My opinion-based empirical results? I just showed you US News rankings based on what vet schools are higher. That's not my opinion...that is based on the opinion of a large and germane sample consisting of the opinion of professionals in the field, academics in the field, funding, etc.

Also, I just showed you the Princeton Review top ten college town list. The results of a huge national survey show students are happier in big cities. The only people arguing based solely on their own opinion is you guys.

Anyways, unless somebody can produce something worthwhile to challenge my conclusion, i'm out of here. I'm glad you guys enjoyed your college experiences in small towns. The facts still show that people in bigger cities enjoy their lives more. Common sense also dictates that if my kid didn't want to be a drunk/druggie (as I hope they wouldn't), they'd have more entertainment options in a big city. Because of this, i'd do everything in my power to sway my kid away from a State College or a Champaign and towards a Minneapolis or a Columbus or an Austin.

There's really not much more for me to say.

Ever been to Austin?

You are right, there isn't much more for you to say.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You said

and then posted a story about the top college towns. That is not the same. The top 25 schools in the US are NOT all in cultural hubs, unless you have a different view of cultural hubs than I.

Seriously?

I said:

Look at any review of students and their opinion of the town that their schools are in. The top 25 schools from large student surveys are all in cultural hubs. All the empirical evidence backs up what I am saying.

(Bolding and underlining mine)

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not discounting education at agricultural schools at all in this thread. What I am saying is that if my kid is good enough to get into Penn State, they are good enough to get into equally good universities in metro areas (like Ohio State or Minneapolis), where i'd encourage them to go.

I don't know where you guys are seeing me dissing education at schools like VA Tech, TAMU, or Penn State.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one thing you'll learn in a small town that escapes those in large cities is to be just who are and not be pretentious as nobody will be impressed with it.

Big Red Said

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has nothing to do with education. It has everything to do with how one entertains themselves and what values an individual has. I do think that there is something intrinsically better about cities with better cuisines, better museums, better music venues, more sporting events, more street life, prettier geography, etc. In a city like Madison or Minneapolis or Chicago or Washington DC or New York or Austin, TX, or Columbus, or Ann Arbor (the list goes on and on), you have everything you could do in a State College or a Champaign, and much, much more.

I guess one could claim it is elitism, but only in the most rudimentary manner. I don't think it is that crazy to suggest that having more options is worthwhile.

WTF.... :spit:

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes? Why do you think geography/city planning/urbanism is funny? I'm sure the people who pay three times more to live in San Francisco instead of small town Nebraska would love to know.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
... In a city like Madison *(568k) or Minneapolis *(3,318k)or Chicago*(2,896k) or Washington DC (5703k)or New York (19,016k)or Austin, TX,*(1,783k) or Columbus*(1,858k), or Ann Arbor (*4,286k) (the list goes on and on), ...

One of these things is not like the others
One of these things just doesn't belong
Can you tell which thing is not like the others
By the time I finish my song?

elmo-laugh.gif

*Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas

grayghost668

Gun Control,,,,not likely
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's see, if they are 18 they can do as they want according to the law. How could you stop them if they are set on going there?

well If I was paying for it that would put a stop to it damned quick

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of these things is not like the others
One of these things just doesn't belong
Can you tell which thing is not like the others
By the time I finish my song?

elmo-laugh.gif

*Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas

I've also praised Athens, Georgia and Gainesville, Florida as walkable, cultural cities in this thread. What does Elmo say about those? For the record, I would also throw Lincoln in with those cities.

I'm still confused why people think it is so crazy to consider quality of life when they decide what college they go to.

So, when two people chant "ESFU" to one another it means that everyone is an awful person and going to hell. Meanwhile, posting this is completely acceptable. You have to love that Nebraska logic.

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If my child truly feels it is the best fit for them for a reason they can clearly articulate, fine. I just have a really negative opinion of "college towns."

When I talk to my friends who have gone to a variety of different schools, the gap between people who go to school in college towns and those who go to school in real cities is clearly apparent. The college town bunch do not know how to entertain themselves while sober, all their stories are the same (I did some stupid things while drunk....i'm so special), and they just aren't as well rounded as individuals. It isn't about elitism or intellectualism. It's about humanity, and whether a person can enjoy themselves without being self-destructive.

I reckon that's why schools like Clemson and VT are on the verge of closing up shop :rolleyes:

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've also praised Athens, Georgia and Gainesville, Florida as walkable, cultural cities in this thread. What does Elmo say about those? For the record, I would also throw Lincoln in with those cities.

I'm still confused why people think it is so crazy to consider quality of life when they decide what college they go to.

I am not arguing your position though I certainly could.

I am laughing at you saying Madison is a major city.

And Elmo says you're funny.

So, when two people chant "ESFU" to one another it means that everyone is an awful person and going to hell. Meanwhile, posting this is completely acceptable. You have to love that Nebraska logic.

And I would expect you to not be able to understand context and setting. Yours is a setting with children, Mine you must be (should be) 18 to register.

I have nothing against drinking alcohol either but I don't think they should serve it at the daycare.

You have to love that SMART logic.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am laughing at you saying Madison is a major city.

And I would expect you to not be able to understand context and setting. Yours is a setting with children, Mine you must be (should be) 18 to register.

You have to love that SMART logic.

1. I never said Madison was a major city (FWIW, I wouldn't call Columbus or Ann Arbor a major city, either, especially the latter. I know you counted it as part of Detroit, but it isn't). I did include Madison on a list of walkable, cultural cities with universities. Your constant nit-picking of my posts is getting a little annoying, especially since you are wrong most of the time.

2. Nobody has kids in the student section, and if they do, it is their own fault. People know what our student section does. If you don't like it, sit on the other side of your field. You won't hear the chant, and if you do, you can just claim we say "Eat Cheese, Fondue" or something. To use your analogy, its like Nebraska fans going to a bar & grill, seeing some kids in a grill nearby, and complaining that we are serving them alcohol. If you don't want the alcohol, stay out of the bar section. If you hate drunks altogether, then don't fucking go.

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would anyone Not send there kid there?

Now if the question was would you want your kid to coach there, then I would say No...

Too Much crap for him to ever be able to just Coach...

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. I never said Madison was a major city (FWIW, I wouldn't call Columbus or Ann Arbor a major city, either, especially the latter. I know you counted it as part of Detroit, but it isn't). I did include Madison on a list of walkable, cultural cities with universities. Your constant nit-picking of my posts is getting a little annoying, especially since you are wrong most of the time.

You used the term "real cities" as opposed to "college towns" and then cited a list of cities all with 1 mil or more except for your little podunk town of 200K (not MSA but actual pop). Those numbers I used were taken from the Tables of United States Metropolitan Statistical areas and yes they show Ann Arbor as being part of the Detroit MSA. If you want to argue with them then go ahead.

2. Nobody has kids in the student section, and if they do, it is their own fault. People know what our student section does. If you don't like it, sit on the other side of your field. You won't hear the chant, and if you do, you can just claim we say "Eat Cheese, Fondue" or something. To use your analogy, its like Nebraska fans going to a bar & grill, seeing some kids in a grill nearby, and complaining that we are serving them alcohol. If you don't want the alcohol, stay out of the bar section. If you hate drunks altogether, then don't fucking go.

My understanding is you can hear it all the way across the stadium. I know for a fact you can hear it on the television. And why would I want to lie to my kid? Is that how you plan on raising yours? I would simply tell them that is a bunch of people with no class. This would be an opportunity to teach them what not to be.

And your analogy sucks. Growing up in Nebraska I spent many evening at the local tavern eating burgers and fries and drinking pop.

You see many taverns in Nebraska are family establishments and an Eat Shit or Fuck You before 9:00 would of got you thrown out on your ear. So if you want to say Eat shit Fuck you stay out of our taverns.