• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Would you do a pay per view for Ronda Rousey against Ray Rice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leroy Brown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mistake? She kicks him he grabs her its all over. The gym I workout ( lift and cardio, not fighting) there is an MMA guy who was 6-0 campbell is his last name , the owner of the gym knew I used to wrestle back in late 70's, early 80's and asked me to roll on mat with him. Guy was prob 160 lbs and I'm 255. He tried pulling all these arm bar moves, leg locks etc and I got out easy and kept pinning his ass. Obviously if it was real fight, I would have punched him in face, once he was down.

Rice has 275 LBs tackling him all game long and he is gonna be worried about 125 broad get real

Leroy if your a female please dont take offense but your gender is no match esp for a pro football player, unless maybe a kicker/punter

No sir, I'm not a female. I have a daughter though, who is an elite athlete (I'm not, BTW, nor do I claim to be. I'm decent, 5'9, 195...bench around 290, back when I squatted I got to 395 then shut it down...don't power clean, etc.), and I've seen her (hell, I might still have the film) at nine years old, hold off a 13 year old football player with her guard for the most part of three minutes. The only way the kid passed her guard is because my kid made a mistake. Now this boy was ripped...he has obviously been in the weight program for awhile. Thing is though, it was his first time in BJJ, his pride was so hurt, that he never came back to BJJ. It's a shame...much like a lot of posters here, people can't accept the proof in the pudding, their pride is too hurt. Oh well. Now my daughter will be an elite athlete should she stay on track...but that dude was ridiculously bigger and stronger than her. It didn't matter though...technique can compensate for a lot.

Look, I respect what you've done. Wrestlers are a different breed. I'll get back to that later in this reply, but you're a guy I can actually talk too...you've experienced some shit. You've done it, and I can respect you for that. You aren't just talking out your ass...that said, you don't know what's going on with some of the other grappling arts like BJJ, sambo, and Judo and how intensive people (including women) are practicing those things.

I see what you are saying and that very well could be the case? The "mistake" I was referring to was more of a missed punch that creates an opening to a choke or throw? Judo especially doesn't see size as much as other MA's but I basically just see Ronda as a smaller MMA trained guy fighting Ray Rice. If Ray were the winner, he would have to win by KO and I don't think it would be as easy as some think. Just my opinion. Brock Lesner lost to Mir with an ankle lock. Size is a big deal but it doesn't decide everything. I am starting to wish this fight would really happen just to see how things fall.

That's exactly what would happen, unless Ray has a fighting background we don't know of. A trained professional fighter isn't walking into that cross like Janay did.

If you were talking about say 160-170 lb trained male fighter, I can understand your thinking. How is she gonna choke out Rice? I wrestled for 4 years in HS and won states 2 yrs and place 2nd in NE tourny. I wasnt the most finesse guy or had the knowledge and moves under my belt. Frankly I would out muscle guys and get out of their moves, leg locks were a lit tougher or so were double chicken wings. Half nelsons not so much, and of course full ones were illegal .

No mind you there was no MMA back then and judo wasnt talked about, so I dont follow. The big thing back then was who would win between a boxer, karate guy and wrestler. And most times the wrestler would win, unless he gets knocked the fuck out with a punch or kick, but usually they do a double leg take down, get the karate guy or boxer down and have to be strong enough to keep them down

Listen, I respect guys with wrestling backgrounds. It's actually a great base to have coming in MMA, BJJ, sambo, or even Judo for that matter.. What wrestlers usually have to adjust for when sparring against a legit Brazilian Jiu Jitsu practitioner during standup is not going for headlocks, as that's an invitation to getting your back taken, and making sure when they go for those single leg/double leg shots, they really limit how much they bend at the waist as opposed to the knees, because if they bend too much or get caught looking down while improperly changing levels, they end up in a guillotine. On the ground, they have to watch their arm placement because their....eagerness tends to lead to their arms getting in places where they can quickly get a triangle or armbar slapped on them because they want that crossface so badly. Also, they aren't the best at scrambling positions and tend to have no clue what to do with lower body attacks on the ground. Kneebars, ankle locks, and heel hooks happen quickly to wrestlers until they adjust.

Once they adjust and know how to watch for those things, they are absolute beasts...usually, wrestlers have a higher level of tenacity, endurance, and strength due to it being a recognized school sport, so they come in not only in fighting shape, but athletic shape as well. Once they learn to protect their arms, backs, and legs (and necks in nogi BJJ) they can dominate top position with amazing effectiveness, even while in full guard.

Remember, BJJ accepts, appreciates, and mixes a lot of wrestling and judo stuff as well...BJJ just has submissions, while wrestling focuses on dominating top position. The best BJJ practitioners and schools have a saying, "Position before submission." THAT'S why wrestling is so great to have coming into BJJ. Once you combine wrestling strength, skill and endurance with BJJ skills (especially learning how to fight from your back), submissions, and defensive tactics in terms of keeping yourself safe from subs, then you have a very dangerous human being.

Judo is kinda like standup wrestling with a gi. Some people learn how to properly integrate it into nogi/MMA, some don't. Judo also has a lot of basic BJJ in it, which Rousey has utterly mastered, as evidenced by her unbelievable armbar setups. Really, BJJ comes from Judo, it's just BJJ took the ground aspect much farther than working for armbars and rear naked chokes.

Well I would say my problem with this argument is that she isn't just a really small guy. She is a small woman. The strength difference between the two is massive. It isn't just that he is 80 pounds heavier than here. It is the fact that he is significantly stronger that if she were a 5'7" male that were 130 lbs.

I am not saying definitely one way or the other but there comes a time when sheer power overwhelms you. A 12 year old boy could be an expert at some discipline but his lack of body strength would make it almost impossible for him to do anything to a large man.

Now Rousey could certainly win. She could go after his balls and they were grappling that would certainly be her best option. I just don't know how she would ever get him to the ground. The is an elite athlete who gets paid to avoid lightning quick players from tackling him. You really think that Rousey could do a leg sweep and catch him? And even if she did, I'm not sure she would have enough power in the sweep to actually take him down.

Rice would simply sit back and go for jabs that would batter her. Maybe if he got stupid and went for a big punch and she leveraged that she could do something. But it would be hard.

You're comparing Rousey to a 12 year old boy who has had, what, five years max taking a serious art or two? Rousey has been fighting competitively since eight...and for at least the last five years has had access to the best trainers and sparring partners in the world. THE WORLD. She doens't need to go after the balls.

All this talk of Rice being an elite athlete...guess what? Rousey is also an elite athlete. You don't get to be an Olympic medalist without being an elite athlete. Granted, there's differences between males and females, but there are also differences between fighters and those who don't. Rousey is an Olympian in a true fighting art. NOT Taekwondo, NOT karate...but judo. It's a massive difference.

Rice isn't going to start throwing effective jabs magically overnight. He's not freaking Evander Holyfield. Rousey isn't going to forget how to see an opening for a myriad of judo throws and counters overnight. Nor is Rice going to know what the hell to do on the ground without proper training.

Something to keep on mind also is that as the OP pointed out, Ronda arrogantly said that if it had been her instead of Rice's girlfriend in the elevator, things would have been different. We aren't talking about Rice sparring with Ronda in a cage with gloves and a ref. We're talking about the real world. TKD, BJJ, Judo, wrestling are all tough in their own right, but they are still sport fighting. Anyone who thinks Ronda and Rice walk into that elevator and Ronda is the one walking out.....come on now......

Ronda is arrogant...I will definitely agree with that, but you are still a fool thinking someone who can beat your ass in a cage can't beat your ass on 'da sk33tz.'

Calling it "Sport" fighting is the fallback of the weak...those who want to talk like they have mastered some secret super mystical shit, but afraid to go test it. For the eleventy billionth time....WHAT DO YOU TRAIN?

Again, if your son is an MMA fighter, ask him (since you appear to be totally ignorant of modern hand to hand combat) what arts does he train in? Ask HIM about the differences between TKD and BJJ...and if he's in any way serious about MMA, he'll tell you something you need to know.

Last edited by a moderator:

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No sir, I'm not a female. I have a daughter though, who is an elite athlete (I'm not, BTW, nor do I claim to be. I'm decent, 5'9, 195...bench around 290, back when I squatted I got to 395 then shut it down...don't power clean, etc.), and I've seen her (hell, I might still have the film) at nine years old, hold off a 13 year old football player with her guard for the most part of three minutes. The only way the kid passed her guard is because my kid made a mistake. Now this boy was ripped...he has obviously been in the weight program for awhile. Thing is though, it was his first time in BJJ, his pride was so hurt, that he never came back to BJJ. It's a shame...much like a lot of posters here, people can't accept the proof in the pudding, their pride is too hurt. Oh well. Now my daughter will be an elite athlete should she stay on track...but that dude was ridiculously bigger and stronger than her. It didn't matter though...technique can compensate for a lot.

Look, I respect what you've done. Wrestlers are a different breed. I'll get back to that later in this reply, but you're a guy I can actually talk too...you've experienced some shit. You've done it, and I can respect you for that. You aren't just talking out your ass...that said, you don't know what's going on with some of the other grappling arts like BJJ, sambo, and Judo and how intensive people (including women) are practicing those things.

That's exactly what would happen, unless Ray has a fighting background we don't know of. A trained professional fighter isn't walking into that cross like Janay did.

Listen, I respect guys with wrestling backgrounds. It's actually a great base to have coming in MMA, BJJ, sambo, or even Judo for that matter.. What wrestlers usually have to adjust for when sparring against a legit Brazilian Jiu Jitsu practitioner during standup is not going for headlocks, as that's an invitation to getting your back taken, and making sure when they go for those single leg/double leg shots, they really limit how much they bend at the waist as opposed to the knees, because if they bend too much or get caught looking down while improperly changing levels, they end up in a guillotine. On the ground, they have to watch their arm placement because their....eagerness tends to lead to their arms getting in places where they can quickly get a triangle or armbar slapped on them because they want that crossface so badly. Also, they aren't the best at scrambling positions and tend to have no clue what to do with lower body attacks on the ground. Kneebars, ankle locks, and heel hooks happen quickly to wrestlers until they adjust.

Once they adjust and know how to watch for those things, they are absolute beasts...usually, wrestlers have a higher level of tenacity, endurance, and strength due to it being a recognized school sport, so they come in not only in fighting shape, but athletic shape as well. Once they learn to protect their arms, backs, and legs (and necks in nogi BJJ) they can dominate top position with amazing effectiveness, even while in full guard.

Remember, BJJ accepts, appreciates, and mixes a lot of wrestling and judo stuff as well...BJJ just has submissions, while wrestling focuses on dominating top position. The best BJJ practitioners and schools have a saying, "Position before submission." THAT'S why wrestling is so great to have coming into BJJ. Once you combine wrestling strength, skill and endurance with BJJ skills (especially learning how to fight from your back), submissions, and defensive tactics in terms of keeping yourself safe from subs, then you have a very dangerous human being.

Judo is kinda like standup wrestling with a gi. Some people learn how to properly integrate it into nogi/MMA, some don't. Judo also has a lot of basic BJJ in it, which Rousey has utterly mastered, as evidenced by her unbelievable armbar setups. Really, BJJ comes from Judo, it's just BJJ took the ground aspect much farther than working for armbars and rear naked chokes.

You're comparing Rousey to a 12 year old boy who has had, what, five years max taking a serious art or two? Rousey has been fighting competitively since eight...and for at least the last five years has had access to the best trainers and sparring partners in the world. THE WORLD. She doens't need to go after the balls.

All this talk of Rice being an elite athlete...guess what? Rousey is also an elite athlete. You don't get to be an Olympic medalist without being an elite athlete. Granted, there's differences between males and females, but there are also differences between fighters and those who don't. Rousey is an Olympian in a true fighting art. NOT Taekwondo, NOT karate...but judo. It's a massive difference.

Rice isn't going to start throwing effective jabs magically overnight. He's not freaking Evander Holyfield. Rousey isn't going to forget how to see an opening for a myriad of judo throws and counters overnight. Nor is Rice going to know what the hell to do on the ground without proper training.

Ronda is arrogant...I will definitely agree with that, but you are still a fool thinking someone who can beat your ass in a cage can't beat your ass on 'da sk33tz.'

Calling it "Sport" fighting is the fallback of the weak...those who want to talk like they have mastered some secret super mystical shit, but afraid to go test it. For the eleventy billionth time....WHAT DO YOU TRAIN?

Again, if your son is an MMA fighter, ask him (since you appear to be totally ignorant of modern hand to hand combat) what arts does he train in? Ask HIM about the differences between TKD and BJJ...and if he's in any way serious about MMA, he'll tell you something you need to know.

BJJ, Muay Thai, wrestled in college, TKD in High School. I would imagine I have forgotten more than you have learned, in that at 42, I have been in Martial Arts in one form or another for over 30 years. None of it matters Bruce Leroy. I could be the 2nd coming of Bruce Lee, and if I thought Ronda Rousey could whip Ray Rice, I would still be as clueless as you are

Leroy Brown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BJJ, Muay Thai, wrestled in college, TKD in High School. I would imagine I have forgotten more than you have learned, in that at 42, I have been in Martial Arts in one form or another for over 30 years. None of it matters Bruce Leroy. I could be the 2nd coming of Bruce Lee, and if I thought Ronda Rousey could whip Ray Rice, I would still be as clueless as you are

Oh, now you trained BJJ? Bullshit. I don't know a single person who trained BJJ that would ever put TKD in the same breath as it. You told on yourself a long time ago with that TKD and BJJ don't work in the REAL world crap (TKD, you're correct, BJJ, you're insane) and the magical head kicking houligans that somehow render all grapplers ineffective on the streets.

Keep LARPing dude...no worries.

If that floats your boat...more power to you.

Last edited by a moderator:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has this thread run it's course? Seems to me that anyone that as a opinion as stated it and now it just getting personal. Unless someone gives me a good reason not to, I'm locking this thread down.

Thoughts?

Leroy Brown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has this thread run it's course? Seems to me that anyone that as a opinion as stated it and now it just getting personal. Unless someone gives me a good reason not to, I'm locking this thread down.

Thoughts?

Feel free, I just hope people decide to go to a gym and train themselves. Hell, even try out the crappy arts like TKD and 90-something percent of karate. Then find yourself a quality BJJ, MMA, judo, sambo, wrestling school and learn how to really defend yourself. Don't reduce yourself to outdated sterotypes of fighting and falling for the "in the skr33tz, all that jew jitsoo stuff doesn't matter" crap.

PackManDan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Ray Rice would win in a fight. Now I'm not talking about a sanctioned bout in the cage with gloves and all the rules. I'm talking about what Rousey said "if I were in that elevator it would be different". So if Rousey was in the elevator and Rice took a swing at her and then they started brawling...I think Rice would win.

I don't know if Rice has fighting background but I do know if he does it isn't nearly as detailed and in depth as Rousey's. But I also know that size and power makes up for a lot. Yes it doesn't make up for everything but it does give you a big advantage. If you have two equally trained fighters in the same art and one of them is 5'7 150 and the other is 6'0 200....it is a no-brainer, the bigger stronger guy is going to win because everything being equal he has the weight advantage.

That is why they have weight classes in boxing, and in mma. Because if they put fighters of different weight classes together then it wouldn't be a fair fight. Now Rousey's fighting skill makes up for her lack of size against Rice. But Rice's size makes up for his lack of fighting skill against Rousey.

I think the size and weight is just too much to overcome and Rice would beat her.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Ray Rice would win in a fight. Now I'm not talking about a sanctioned bout in the cage with gloves and all the rules. I'm talking about what Rousey said "if I were in that elevator it would be different". So if Rousey was in the elevator and Rice took a swing at her and then they started brawling...I think Rice would win.

I don't know if Rice has fighting background but I do know if he does it isn't nearly as detailed and in depth as Rousey's. But I also know that size and power makes up for a lot. Yes it doesn't make up for everything but it does give you a big advantage. If you have two equally trained fighters in the same art and one of them is 5'7 150 and the other is 6'0 200....it is a no-brainer, the bigger stronger guy is going to win because everything being equal he has the weight advantage.

That is why they have weight classes in boxing, and in mma. Because if they put fighters of different weight classes together then it wouldn't be a fair fight. Now Rousey's fighting skill makes up for her lack of size against Rice. But Rice's size makes up for his lack of fighting skill against Rousey.

I think the size and weight is just too much to overcome and Rice would beat her.

It seems we have one poster that hasn't chimed in yet, but never the less I think this thread has run it course.

:lock1:

Status
Not open for further replies.