• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Worst trades your team has ever made

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say Bagwell for a guy that threw 22 innings for the Red Sox is worse.
I suppose there are a million trades that included sending an "aging" or "overpaid" ballplayer somewhere else in exchange for a bonus baby. During the 50s and 60s when players were evaluated only on the eyeball test, lots of players moved around.

One of the worst from a fan's point of view was Rocky Colavito for Harvey Kuehn. I can't recall who got shafted there.

Back in the day, the KC Athletics were quite fond of sending all their players to the Yanks in exchange for guys like Joe DeMaestri or some other ERA-challenged southpaw.

But deals for established players in exchange for other established players, all in the years prior to free agency, every team has a stinker.

DefCONNOne

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any Mets fan who thinks trading for Mike Piazza, or David Cone, or Gary Carter is a bad thing, needs to have a labotomy STAT!!

As for worst trades by the Mets, 3 come to mind immediately. 2 of them were made to get that imaginary perfect third baseman.

Nolan Ryan for Jim Fregosi
Amos Otis for Joe Foy
Tom Seaver for Pat Zachry, Doug Flynn, Steve Henderson & Dan Norman

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any Mets fan who thinks trading for Mike Piazza, or David Cone, or Gary Carter is a bad thing, needs to have a labotomy STAT!!

As for worst trades by the Mets, 3 come to mind immediately. 2 of them were made to get that imaginary perfect third baseman.

Nolan Ryan for Jim Fregosi
Amos Otis for Joe Foy
Tom Seaver for Pat Zachry, Doug Flynn, Steve Henderson & Dan Norman
The thing that sucks about that Seaver trade is when you trade for 4 young guys like that you're just hoping one hits and becomes a good player. All 4 of those guys spent a lot of time in the majors but they were all mediocre (at best).

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doyle did what he was suppose to do 9-0 1.53 ERA and got us to the playoffs (then we blew it). John Smoltz went on for a Hall of Fame Career for the Braves ... I would call that a win win!!!
This is very true! Sure, we would've loved to have Smoltz for his whole HOF career. But the Tigers knew they were trading future for present and Alexander did an excellent job of providing what they were trying to get. Great trade for Atlanta for sure, but I don't think it was bad for Detroit.

Eugenio Suarez for Alfredo Simon...that was bad. That was like the only trade they made with Dombrowski that I instantly didn't like.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worst: Andy Ashby, Brad Ausmus, and Doug Bochtler for Bruce Hurst and Greg Harris

Why is an expansion team is trading young prospects for over the hill pitching?

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's 3 that immediately come to mind for the Braves.

1. Trading Elvis Andrus, Neftali Feliz, Matt Harrison and Jarrod Saltalamacchia for what was basically two half season rentals of Mark Teixeira and a rental of Ron Mahay. Andrus, Feliz and Harrison could have been a big help going forwards.

2. Trading Adam Wainwright, Jason Marquis and Ray King for one season of JD Drew and Eli Marrero. JD Drew had a great season his one season in Atlanta, but we traded away who would have been our ace for years to come to get him.

3. Trading Alex Wood and Jose Peraza(along with some below average relievers) for Hector Olivera. Traded away one of our best starting pitchers and one of our top ranked prospects(at the time) for a 30+ year old Cuban "prospect" that didn't even make it a month on the Braves active roster before getting arrested for domestic violence and never playing again.
I am surprised you did not mention the Brett Butler for Len Barker trade from the early 80s. Butler was an awesome leadoff hitter and was a big reason the team was starting to win during that season. Barker was dreadfull. The braves sucked for a long time after this trade. Butler went on to have a long and productive career. But yeah the wainwright trade was probably worse.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners have made tons of stupid decisions as a low rate ball club... But the dumbest move EVER was Trading Tino Martinez, Jeff Nelson, to the Yankees for Russ Davis and Sterling Hitchcock ... Seattle was on the cusp of a possible World Series if they kept that chemistry together, but the stupid Mariners get ride of one of there best bullpen guy's and one of there best hitters... Of course Yankees went on to win it all once they got Nelson and Martinez, we didn't make the playoffs in 96 .... I'll let Randy Johnson sum it up ....

“It’s unfortunate a winning organization sometimes gets dismantled,” Johnson said. “If someone tells me we’ll have the same team in spring as we did last year, well, I’d love to hear the logic behind that.

“I’m disappointed. You work so hard to build chemistry and get everyone together and playing well. We finally started winning, and then they started dismantling the team. That stuff gets frustrating.”