• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Worst Most Memorable Horrible Humbling Defeat in your Team's History

Bayou Tiger

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to say Purdue, because if that was a close loss we are in the CFP in 2018. However, with all the fanfare surrounding that 2006 team, the NCG was just brutal. It just didn't seem possible. It showed how flawed that team was when Ginn went down and our entire offense completely fell apart. Looking back, Tressel should've tried to slow things down and run through Pittman, as he was the only guy on our offense that could do anything that day.

Probably that Florida game right?

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Horror.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah. Virtually every team, especially ones that are traditionally good, has that one team that gives them fits even though they shouldn't be able to.
BC and Pitt come to mind wrt ND. Probably throw Purdue in there too but at least you could say it’s an in-state rivalry thing. The other two are complete head-scratchers.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha.

2001 Colorado. I was in attendance with my sister's arrogant asshole Colorado husband who got us tickets.

Walked into the stadium and the college kids were screaming in our faces and already throwing empty beer cans at anybody wearing red. I found it funny, cause, of course we were gonna kick their asses.

About 3 minutes into the game and the Red Sea of Moses opened up and Chris Brown jogged for one of the easiest TDs I'd seen since a high school scrimmage. Then Bobby Purify. And more Brown. And the counter trap that our very own team had executed and murdered teams with for decades was being surgically impaled upon our vaunted Blackshirts and #1 ranked 11-0 Huskers.

62-36 later, and the Big 12 Husker 'mystique' was gone. We were no longer the giants on the midway wrecking havoc on others. We were the bitches getting our asses absolutely handed to us; and there wasn't a damn thing we could do about it.

19 years later, and here we are.
This was the first one that came to mind. Devastating.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anytime we lose to Washington, in any sport, which is a rarity.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is hard to choose from when we've had one annually under Harsin

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only people who arguing against the recruiting is.........Nebraska fans. Any other CFB fan KNOWS without elite recruiting, you aren’t going to be a national power.

The disconnect we are having is.....you don’t seem to understand that the teams who are elite in today’s CFB are in talent rich recruiting areas. Alabama, Georgia, LSU, OSU, etc. All located in talent rich recruiting foot prints. Oklahoma and Clemson, both border states with an overflow of elite recruits — OU with Texas and Clemson with Georgia.

The rest of the blue bloods are fighting a losing battle — teams like Notre Dame, Nebraska, Michigan, Penn State will never have the talent level of the schools located in talent rich areas. You can lie to yourself and think Nebraska will — but it isn’t happening, when you have next to no in state talent and next to no elite level recruits in surrounding states.

If you are a recruit with the choice to go anywhere, what is going to sell them on Nebraska? Is it academics? Is it the climate? Is it the rivalry games?

Hate to say it, but Nebraska was better off in the Big 12. The move to the B1G did you absolutely no favors, especially when they split the divisions and OSU, PSU and UM are in the other division.

1. How do you think teams can recruit better? Do you think all these players simply happen to want to stay home/near home or could it perhaps be that these coaches are great at recruiting as well.... being as how it is technically part of coaching.

2. What level of recruiting class (in your opinion) do you need to have in order to be at the top... not necessarily competing for a title every year, but to at least be in the discussion. And why is it that SO MANY teams from within these great recruiting territories can't seem to do better in terms of recruiting or on the field play?

3. "If you are a recruit with the choice to go anywhere, what is going to sell them on Nebraska? Is it academics? Is it the climate? Is it the rivalry games?" - I actually believe this is a solid point. It is by far, more difficult to recruit to Nebraska than it is for Florida. Does that mean that it can't be done? I don't think so.

4. "Hate to say it, but Nebraska was better off in the Big 12. The move to the B1G did you absolutely no favors, especially when they split the divisions and OSU, PSU and UM are in the other division" - I actually agree with this as well. I think the B1G just isn't Nebraska and it isn't what anyone is used to, so it doesn't feel right. Like West Virginia in the Big12, everyone kinda goes 'huh?'. The move was done because of Texas and for money. Personally, I wish we were still in the Big12 (I would prefer the Big8, but thats me) and we could play OU more often. That game mattered and it used to matter more than to just Nebraska and OU fans. I also agree that starting over in a new conference and a new division with no real attachments does not shape up to help that team assimilate and retain power or prestige. These are definite up hill battles, but I do believe it can be done. Great coaching will help you to win games, winning games will help to attrach recruits and media attention, that in turn will help to go up another level.... rinse and repeat until you are at the top, but it all STARTS with coaching.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. How do you think teams can recruit better? Do you think all these players simply happen to want to stay home/near home or could it perhaps be that these coaches are great at recruiting as well.... being as how it is technically part of coaching.

2. What level of recruiting class (in your opinion) do you need to have in order to be at the top... not necessarily competing for a title every year, but to at least be in the discussion. And why is it that SO MANY teams from within these great recruiting territories can't seem to do better in terms of recruiting or on the field play?

3. "If you are a recruit with the choice to go anywhere, what is going to sell them on Nebraska? Is it academics? Is it the climate? Is it the rivalry games?" - I actually believe this is a solid point. It is by far, more difficult to recruit to Nebraska than it is for Florida. Does that mean that it can't be done? I don't think so.

4. "Hate to say it, but Nebraska was better off in the Big 12. The move to the B1G did you absolutely no favors, especially when they split the divisions and OSU, PSU and UM are in the other division" - I actually agree with this as well. I think the B1G just isn't Nebraska and it isn't what anyone is used to, so it doesn't feel right. Like West Virginia in the Big12, everyone kinda goes 'huh?'. The move was done because of Texas and for money. Personally, I wish we were still in the Big12 (I would prefer the Big8, but thats me) and we could play OU more often. That game mattered and it used to matter more than to just Nebraska and OU fans. I also agree that starting over in a new conference and a new division with no real attachments does not shape up to help that team assimilate and retain power or prestige. These are definite up hill battles, but I do believe it can be done. Great coaching will help you to win games, winning games will help to attrach recruits and media attention, that in turn will help to go up another level.... rinse and repeat until you are at the top, but it all STARTS with coaching.

1. I think the overwhelming majority of recruits want to go to their hometown school or a school within the conference footprint which they were brought up watching.
I had this discussion earlier — Alabama had 18 blue chip recruits in state — exactly one left the south. It was a QB ranked 316th overall. He actually went to Nebraska.
Georgia had 37 blue chip recruits this — exactly one left the SEC or ACC. It was Myles Hinton who wanted the academics of Stanford.
Those are the only two states I got to before I had to go, but that clarifies what I’ve been saying.

2. I would say 10 years ago — you could get by with averaging a top 10-top 15 class and competing with the other national powers. Today — I would say it is closer to top 5 classes with a top 10 thrown in here or there. The one thing that can change that is if you have an All-American QB. If you get a Cam Newton, a DeShaun Watson, Trevor Lawrence, etc. They can make those around them better. There are a select few who are playing a completely different caliber of football than the rest of CFB.

3. It isn’t impossible, but it is highly improbable. UM gets a few 5 star recruits, players like the elite teams get on a yearly basis, but when we do — it is the guys who commit because of the academics. Daxton Hill is the latest — he had a 3.9 GPA. Jabrill Peppers — 3.9 GPA. Rashan Gary — was dyslexic and his mom was huge on academics. They fell in love with UM’s support for his disability. Nebraska doesn’t have the academics, they don’t have the climate or location.

4. Being in the B1G West does Nebraska zero favors. I shouldn’t say zero, as it gives them a shot to win their division from time to time. But without a national rivalry like they had with Oklahoma, it gives them less exposure. Wisconsin and Iowa are quality programs but not national programs.