• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Worst Most Memorable Horrible Humbling Defeat in your Team's History

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After the first Georgia game our QB had to go see a psychologist. No bullshit. He really did. I don’t know how many turnovers he had in the first half but it was a lot. Like at least four or five a lot. He did bounce back with an undefeated season and a top 5 finish the following year though.

The 2011 game was definitely a role reversal. Man did Aaron Murray gets his ass kicked the entire game. Six sacks and several other big hits. I remember being surprised that he made it through. He was limping like crazy.

We had a pretty good team in 2005 though. Won the SEC.

I always felt sorry for Aaron Murray. He never had an o-line to protect him, and he got a lot of blame for losses that were all on the hands of Richt and Mike Bobo for their playcalling.

When Murray was QB, if a starting o-lineman went down, most of the time the backup was a walkon from Watkinsville.

daglafe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 2005 Georgia loss was not fun, but the one that ripped my heart out was 2010 Nevada.

We were undefeated and top five heading to what looked like another New Years 6 game and got into a close one. Kaepernick led Nevada in a drive to score with 13 seconds left in the game to tie at 31 (still hate that guy). Kellen Moore throws the length of the field to Titus Young who catches it around the 5. We miss a chip shot field goal and go to OT. In OT, our kicker misses another chip shot field goal and Nevada makes their field goal. Anyway, since 1 loss for Boise is one too many in a season, we got relegated to the Las Vegas Bowl again and played Utah. Hard one to swallow.

Here's the link...can't watch...

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Before getting dragged by 35 in Atlanta, the worst loss of the Riley Era came in the Playoff last year in a 45-35 loss to Alabama in the Orange Bowl.

10 months later Riley told reporters every loss at Oklahoma is shocking following a, yes, shocking loss to Kansas State."

The beating USC put on us in the NCG and the last game...those are my two choices.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Before getting dragged by 35 in Atlanta, the worst loss of the Riley Era came in the Playoff last year in a 45-35 loss to Alabama in the Orange Bowl.

10 months later Riley told reporters every loss at Oklahoma is shocking following a, yes, shocking loss to Kansas State."

The beating USC put on us in the NCG and the last game...those are my two choices.

I suspect you felt like OU had a bit more of a chance in the USC game though, no?

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We had a pretty good team in 2005 though. Won the SEC.

I always felt sorry for Aaron Murray. He never had an o-line to protect him, and he got a lot of blame for losses that were all on the hands of Richt and Mike Bobo for their playcalling.

When Murray was QB, if a starting o-lineman went down, most of the time the backup was a walkon from Watkinsville.

He was a good player for sure. That damn SEC championship the following season though. You guys were so close. That result pissed me off. What a game that was. The crusher is I’m sure Notre Dame would have been no match for you guys in the title game. Painful.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you could say that about at least 1 of the Oregon St games as well.

Nah. Virtually every team, especially ones that are traditionally good, has that one team that gives them fits even though they shouldn't be able to.

For us, that's Oregon St....especially if it's Friday night game in Corvallis. Weird shit always seems to happen, even when we win there. Been that way at least since OJ was there.

That Stanford game was on a Saturday in the Coliseum.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 2005 Georgia loss was not fun, but the one that ripped my heart out was 2010 Nevada.

We were undefeated and top five heading to what looked like another New Years 6 game and got into a close one. Kaepernick led Nevada in a drive to score with 13 seconds left in the game to tie at 31 (still hate that guy). Kellen Moore throws the length of the field to Titus Young who catches it around the 5. We miss a chip shot field goal and go to OT. In OT, our kicker misses another chip shot field goal and Nevada makes their field goal. Anyway, since 1 loss for Boise is one too many in a season, we got relegated to the Las Vegas Bowl again and played Utah. Hard one to swallow.

Here's the link...can't watch...

To be sure that game was miserably painful and spoiled what would have been a special season. That Boise team was absolutely loaded. I just feel like the 2005 Georgia game was more “humbling” or more like humiliating. We looked like a bunch of little bitches playing against grown men, very similar to how we looked versus Washington this past bowl season. I was in Vegas watching that game with a few of my fraternity brothers who happened to be from the South and they were laughing their asses off like this is what SEC big boy football is about.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah. Virtually every team, especially ones that are traditionally good, has that one team that gives them fits even though they shouldn't be able to.

For us, that's Oregon St....especially if it's Friday night game in Corvallis. Weird shit always seems to happen, even when we win there. Been that way at least since OJ was there.

That Stanford game was on a Saturday in the Coliseum.

I still remember that Stanford line. USC -41.5. Yikes.

Collegefbfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hokies lose at home to Temple on homecoming. The Owls were a 20-30 point dog and won. Never should have happened on Beamers watch. Of course the losses to JMU and ODU hurt. You know the one for Michigan... Easy choice there.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Purdue 1974. Purdue 31 Notre Dame 20.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I’ve said 100 times you need BOTH elite recruiting and elite coaching. It is why coaches bounce around until they get to a school where they can accomplish the elite recruiting part.

Here is the part where Nebraska fans don’t seem to grasp reality. You now play in the B1G West, not the Big 8 or Big 12. Your rivals are not Texas and Oklahoma — they are now Wisconsin and Iowa. The base for recruiting is more important than ever, because every team is recruiting nationally now and spending millions.
Since the turn of the century and the advent of the composite star rankings — Nebraska has signed a total of 6 top 50 recruits nationally and only 2 five star recruits. That’s in two decades.

Clemson has 8 top 50 recruits and 6 five star recruits IN THEIR LAST RECRUITING CLASS ALONE.:lol:

Ohio State was 3rd or 4th nationally this year and they matched Nebraska’s 20 year totals in this past recruiting class and it was one of their lower ranked classes in the last 5+ years (yes, they were 14th last year but they only signed 14 recruits. That’s the only reason why.)

The talent disparity is utterly ridiculous between a top 5 recruiting class and a top 25 recruiting class.

But keep thinking Nebraska is going to be the only school in CFB who doesn’t need elite recruiting :L

Wow — you didn’t know Clemson was in South Carolina?!?

I will give you another tidbit — South Carolina has about 200 miles of its border adjoined with Georgia. The talent rich state which has only one big D-1 program. Remember when they mentioned recruits like to go to school near home? This how Clemson was able to get DeShaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence.

Which border state is Nebraska going to reap the benefits?

And for the 100th time — you need elite coaching AND elite recruiting. If you think the same 5 or 6 schools are going to sign the overwhelming majority of elite recruits and Nebraska is going to become a national power regardless — you are out of your mind.

Could Nebraska compete for a championship some day? Absolutely. Will they ever be a national power again? No. Not unless we have a population shift and the vast majority of elite recruits move to the Midwest.

Just think about it — if a recruit has a choice to go anywhere — how can Nebraska sell them on going to school there, when they don’t have the academics of the other schools and instead of rivals like Texas and Oklahoma — their rivals are now Wisconsin and Iowa?

I am literally no longer reading your posts. I stopped after the first sentence of the first post. No need because there is apparently a disconnect here on what each of us is talking about.

Ok, so are you assuming that everyone arguing against you about this assumes that you can have a mediocre coach and and recruits like UNLV and be able to compete at the top level?

You do realize that no one has ever said that, right? Let me spell this out for you as easily as possible.

good coaching -> better/more wins -> more attention -> better recruits

No one is saying that Nebraska is going to compete with the likes of Bama or Clemson on a year in year out basis without that. But guess what, you have to start somewhere. If it was all about weather and bullshit, why hasn't florida atlantic or florida international or the Arizona schools or the whole state of california, utah, nevada, new mexico, hawaii, texas, etc... gotten better and more dominate over the years?

The point of arguing the recruiting basis is that apparently you think or at least act as though recruiting is the end all be all to a teams level of production. Hence asking... then why is Michigan losing to teams that it recruits better than?

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have thought..."Punt Bama...Punt" would be the worst game
Awful, awful game. Listened to the game on the radio with my Mom (Alabama fan), sister (Auburn fan) and brother (Auburn fan). Then, on my one trip ever to Auburn (1994 vs. Kentucky), I walked into the J&M Bookstore, and they were playing that over the store loudspeaker. Had a really bad case of PTSD!

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awful, awful game. Listened to the game on the radio with my Mom (Alabama fan), sister (Auburn fan) and brother (Auburn fan). Then, on my one trip ever to Auburn (1994 vs. Kentucky), I walked into the J&M Bookstore, and they were playing that over the store loudspeaker. Had a really bad case of PTSD!

It was how upsets come about. Play decent defense most of the day. Get a couple of breaks that ended Bama drives
and block two punts for TD's.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was how upsets come about. Play decent defense most of the day. Get a couple of breaks that ended Bama drives
and block two punts for TD's.
They had something like 50 yards total offense all day! Funny thing is when they kicked a long FG down 16-0, I was like, so what? Did I mention what an awful game it was? :)

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am literally no longer reading your posts. I stopped after the first sentence of the first post. No need because there is apparently a disconnect here on what each of us is talking about.

Ok, so are you assuming that everyone arguing against you about this assumes that you can have a mediocre coach and and recruits like UNLV and be able to compete at the top level?

You do realize that no one has ever said that, right? Let me spell this out for you as easily as possible.

good coaching -> better/more wins -> more attention -> better recruits

No one is saying that Nebraska is going to compete with the likes of Bama or Clemson on a year in year out basis without that. But guess what, you have to start somewhere. If it was all about weather and bullshit, why hasn't florida atlantic or florida international or the Arizona schools or the whole state of california, utah, nevada, new mexico, hawaii, texas, etc... gotten better and more dominate over the years?

The point of arguing the recruiting basis is that apparently you think or at least act as though recruiting is the end all be all to a teams level of production. Hence asking... then why is Michigan losing to teams that it recruits better than?

The only people who arguing against the recruiting is.........Nebraska fans. Any other CFB fan KNOWS without elite recruiting, you aren’t going to be a national power.

The disconnect we are having is.....you don’t seem to understand that the teams who are elite in today’s CFB are in talent rich recruiting areas. Alabama, Georgia, LSU, OSU, etc. All located in talent rich recruiting foot prints. Oklahoma and Clemson, both border states with an overflow of elite recruits — OU with Texas and Clemson with Georgia.

The rest of the blue bloods are fighting a losing battle — teams like Notre Dame, Nebraska, Michigan, Penn State will never have the talent level of the schools located in talent rich areas. You can lie to yourself and think Nebraska will — but it isn’t happening, when you have next to no in state talent and next to no elite level recruits in surrounding states.

If you are a recruit with the choice to go anywhere, what is going to sell them on Nebraska? Is it academics? Is it the climate? Is it the rivalry games?

Hate to say it, but Nebraska was better off in the Big 12. The move to the B1G did you absolutely no favors, especially when they split the divisions and OSU, PSU and UM are in the other division.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suspect you felt like OU had a bit more of a chance in the USC game though, no?

Oh yes.
I felt like the USC game was a toss up, either team could win.
That 2004 Oklahoma team was a pretty good team and should have done better.

With LSU, lets just say I expected what happened. It wasn't a surprise.
I knew that we would have to bring our A+ game and LSU have some trouble, to even have a punchers chance.
None of that happened