• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Worst Coaching Gaffe in NFL History?

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has to be, right? Outside of purposely fumbling, what could possibly be worse?

AmericanTebowFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Trying a long 47 yard FG on 1st down instead of keeping on running it to make it an easy FG. They were running it well on that drive and this offense doesn't turn it over much. Why not get closer? Worst blunder I've ever seen from a coach. Trestman is a MORON.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I was wondering about that. I'd basically conceded your guys the game the way they were moving it. It shouldn't have got that far though. Ellison lost the game twice. When's the last time you've seen an offensive facemask call on a FG ? But I guess that's why they have 2 wins.. or 3 now.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm trying to think of any that are worse. There are spur of the moment things, like asking your players to spike the ball on fourth down. But i've never seen anything like that where you have two timeouts to think about it.

The worst part is that the whole time I was thinking, "this is an ingenious way to get Minnesota to burn the timeouts." It never even occurred to me that he might actually kick it.

I don't know how you can have faith in Trestman if you are Forte or the O-Line. What a diss.

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was still holding out some hope. But were done. 10 point 4th quarter lead vs a 2 win team and we fucked it all up even with Minnesota doing their best to give us the game. Just embarrassing. Yet another fine McCaskey production.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly don't give two fucks about any other part of the game, aside from the fuck-retarded decision to kick a 47 yard FG on fucking 2nd down.

Inexcusable.

Fuck Trestman.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck Trestman...I am blown away, by how fucking dumb that shit was. Season on the fucking line, and you go full fucking retard on us. Shame on the players and assistants for not fucking rioting.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how do you kow?

Trying a long 47 yard FG on 1st down instead of keeping on running it to make it an easy FG. They were running it well on that drive and this offense doesn't turn it over much. Why not get closer? Worst blunder I've ever seen from a coach. Trestman is a MORON.

Nothing is guaranteed. The Bears could have easily fumbled or throw an interception. There could have been penalties. The decision to use one of the most accurate kickers in the nfl wasn't bad at all.:yahoo::suds:

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
Why risk a turnover?
Gould had just missed on a 67 yarder by only 5 yards, I can't say I wasn't surprised by the call to kick, but it sure didn't floor me that he would do that. I thought it was going to be over at that point.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said before...a 47 yarder, to win the game in OT...it may as well be a 57 yarder, what with the added pressure en sech. The way the O was moving against em' on that last drive, there is no way you kick it on 2nd down. 3rd I could maybe understand, but not 2nd.

It was not the right decision IMO. Unnecessary.

When they say..."you never know what coulda happened, penalties, or lost yardage en sech"....well that theory applies to missing the kick too....You hafta know that your D hadn't stopped anything, and there is a potential to miss a kick that is by no means a chip shot, and subsequently setting your opponent up for a short drive to win the game, against an atrocious D.

I hated the series in regulation where the Bears started at midfield with 4 minutes left and the lead, and ran the same bullshit play on 2nd and 3rd, after gaining 8 on first down. A first down, and the game was over. That was almost as irritating.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said before...a 47 yarder, to win the game in OT...it may as well be a 57 yarder, what with the added pressure en sech. The way the O was moving against em' on that last drive, there is no way you kick it on 2nd down. 3rd I could maybe understand, but not 2nd.

It was not the right decision IMO. Unnecessary.

When they say..."you never know what coulda happened, penalties, or lost yardage en sech"....well that theory applies to missing the kick too....You hafta know that your D hadn't stopped anything, and there is a potential to miss a kick that is by no means a chip shot, and subsequently setting your opponent up for a short drive to win the game, against an atrocious D.

I hated the series in regulation where the Bears started at midfield with 4 minutes left and the lead, and ran the same bullshit play on 2nd and 3rd, after gaining 8 on first down. A first down, and the game was over. That was almost as irritating.

My name is noonthirtyjoe and I support this message. :clap:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the subject, no it was not the worst gaffe in football history. In fact last week's gaffe was worse. It was stupid tho.

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the subject, no it was not the worst gaffe in football history. In fact last week's gaffe was worse. It was stupid tho.

Miracle in the Meadowlands comes to mind as worse gaffe in NFL
[YOUTUBE][ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lysQ8xt_Css]Miracle at the Meadowlands - YouTube[/ame][/YOUTUBE]

pumpkinhead33793

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Jauron make a similar mistake back in 1999 vs Minnesota. We were 4-5 and playing at Soldier Field. The game vs the Vikings went to overtime and on the first play of OT, Culpepper? threw an interception and we got the ball around the Minnesota 30. I am not sure if we kicked on first or 2nd down, but we ended up not moving the ball at all and Chris Boniol missed the 48 yard FG. That was bad because I remember he sucked for us the entire year. Minnesota ended up going down and winning the game.

Anyone remember that game?

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand the frustration but I agree with leomaz.

To be honest, there was plenty of blame to go around in the Vikes loss. Here's how I rank 'em:

1) Not being able to run for ONE yard on 2nd-and-one, then on 3rd-and-one to close out the game with about 90 seconds left in regulation.
2) Bostic's "taunting" penalty to keep a Viking drive alive.
3) Allowing another 200+ yard rusher in AP.
4) Allowing Cassel to throw the ball all over the field after keeping Ponder in check.
5) Going for the "strip" rather than going for the tackle.
6) Long's catch of a McCown deflection, which resulted in a fumble. (Long should have batted the ball down.)
7) Terrible officiating. Speaking of which...

And at the 20-second mark of regulation, I have yet to hear a valid explanation on WHY the Bears were given the choice to either A) have a 10-second runoff, or B) take a time out???? WHY? There was no offensive penalty, and there was no injury to a Bears player (both of which would draw this kind of decision). The refs went to a booth review, and the next thing you know, they are forcing the Bears to choose 10-seconds or a timeout?

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^yup, that was bullshit. Shoulda either been a first down with forward progress and the clock still moving, OR if like they said, it was short of the first down, then they didn't give fwd progress which means it shoulda counted that he went out of bounds, stopping the clock.

They completely contradicted themselves and the rules with that call.