• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: World Series: Los Angeles Dodgers vs Houston Astros

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, will the Chinaman exact some revenge on the rafter tonight for his much-maligned hand gestures?

Liked how Rich Hill stepped off the mound so the crowd could boo some more

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. I actually brought this up a while back. Longest streak since the Tigers first in 1935 to the Dodgers first in 1955.

Alright, statman, what is your opinion of Kershaw and his ability to pitch in the postseason?

Generally speaking, I don't believe in "clutch" or its antithesis, but from time to time, a long enough track record exists that raises my eyebrow. Kershaw's playoff woes, for example.

I'm by no means saying that I think he's a "shitty" postseason pitcher, because he's certainly had some outstanding games, but when I look at what he's accomplished during the regular season and compare that to his postseason performances, I'm skeptical. It seems like there could be something there.

You ask me who I think is the best pitcher currently and I'm saying Kershaw, no doubt. You ask me who I want starting a do-or-die playoff game, and it's not him.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda cool to see two pretty even, really good teams battle to a game 7

It's always great to see hard-fought World Series between two great teams. Pretty nerve wracking when it's your team though, as you experienced in 2014.

It's not nearly as much fun when a complete pile of shit team fakes their way into the World Series and then embarrasses themselves, their league, division, fans and city by getting their worthless dicks stomped into the dirt in four straight games like the Tigers did at the hands of your Giants in 2012. Right, @dougplayer?

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kate Upton did Look especially phenomenal last night

May be my favorite couple in the world beside this one

1031-aaron-judge-jen-flaum-splash-4.jpg

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet the Astros players husbands hate Kate Verlander.

"she thinks she is so hot, with her gross crooked nipples, and Sports Illustrated pictures. I prefer evan gattis's man nipples"

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright, statman, what is your opinion of Kershaw and his ability to pitch in the postseason?

Generally speaking, I don't believe in "clutch" or its antithesis, but from time to time, a long enough track record exists that raises my eyebrow. Kershaw's playoff woes, for example.

I'm by no means saying that I think he's a "shitty" postseason pitcher, because he's certainly had some outstanding games, but when I look at what he's accomplished during the regular season and compare that to his postseason performances, I'm skeptical. It seems like there could be something there.

You ask me who I think is the best pitcher currently and I'm saying Kershaw, no doubt. You ask me who I want starting a do-or-die playoff game, and it's not him.
Looking at his playoff performances right now, I'd say he has pitched well enough in maybe 8 or 9 out of the 19. Not good.

Looking at his 2013-2017 numbers, he AVERAGED in the regular season over 7 IP per start and 1.5 earned runs allowed. And he's done that 4 times in 17 postseason starts in the last 5 years. And in 10 of those starts, he fell short in both those metrics. In his 141 starts in the regular season from 2013-2017, he recorded an out in the 7th inning 75.2% of the time. In his 17 postseason starts in that time frame, he's done it 8 times.

I'm not going to diagnose him psychologically, and I would want him on my team, but after 5 straight years even Dodgers fans should be disappointed.

And I understand the logic that it's unfair to compare regular season Kershaw to postseason Kershaw. Because postseason Kershaw is still a good pitcher for a lot of games, he's just not regular season Kershaw.

But, from a GM perspective, if I'm constructing my team and I have an ace, I'm asking him to be that ace for 7 months, not 6. I don't need a postseason ace because I'm supposed to have one. I can rest my bullpen on days that he pitches. It completely changes how you are going to construct your team because you feel that you can make changes elsewhere instead of worrying about the 3rd starter needing to win you a game. Rich Hill shouldn't have been pitching to avoid elimination last night, he should have been pitching to win the series.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at his playoff performances right now, I'd say he has pitched well enough in maybe 8 or 9 out of the 19. Not good.

Looking at his 2013-2017 numbers, he AVERAGED in the regular season over 7 IP per start and 1.5 earned runs allowed. And he's done that 4 times in 17 postseason starts in the last 5 years. And in 10 of those starts, he fell short in both those metrics. In his 141 starts in the regular season from 2013-2017, he recorded an out in the 7th inning 75.2% of the time. In his 17 postseason starts in that time frame, he's done it 8 times.

I'm not going to diagnose him psychologically, and I would want him on my team, but after 5 straight years even Dodgers fans should be disappointed.

And I understand the logic that it's unfair to compare regular season Kershaw to postseason Kershaw. Because postseason Kershaw is still a good pitcher for a lot of games, he's just not regular season Kershaw.

But, from a GM perspective, if I'm constructing my team and I have an ace, I'm asking him to be that ace for 7 months, not 6. I don't need a postseason ace because I'm supposed to have one. I can rest my bullpen on days that he pitches. It completely changes how you are going to construct your team because you feel that you can make changes elsewhere instead of worrying about the 3rd starter needing to win you a game. Rich Hill shouldn't have been pitching to avoid elimination last night, he should have been pitching to win the series.

Kershaw has also been asked to throw a lot of short rest.

Saw what you want, the numbers show that fucks with a guy.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Word.

A better-researched and loquacious extension of my own thoughts. I applaud your ability and inclination to dig into this shit. Reminds me of me about a dozen years ago.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He wasn't asked that this year and he took hot, steamy shits on the pitching rubber in two of five starts.

Seriously, you have a do-or-die playoff game situation and can pick any pitcher on Earth to start for your team. Is it Kershaw you're going with?

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game 7 of the World Series at Dodger Stadium will be one of the most expensive tickets in baseball history.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Take out his postseason performances on short rest over the last 5 years and his postseason ERA goes from 4.30 to 5.78.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word.

A better-researched and loquacious extension of my own thoughts. I applaud your ability and inclination to dig into this shit. Reminds me of me about a dozen years ago.
Well I'm probably a dozen years younger than you.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I'm probably a dozen years younger than you.

I kind of assumed that. I also assume that in another dozen years, you'll be the snarky guy busting balls and letting guys a dozen years younger do the heavy lifting. The circle of life, or somesuchshit. . .

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what I'm talking about LOL
I think most people felt Verlander would get it done. The Astros hitters let him down. Perhaps the moment is too big for those young guys.
Only right that this one went 7 though.