• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

World Series Champions, Texas Rangers 2023-2024 Offseason Thread

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why the 14th?
Well some of the moves will affect who and how many prospects we add to the 40 and I think we will see some trades and DFA’s to make such things easy. I may be wrong but I think those moves have to be set and those prospects added by that date.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well some of the moves will affect who and how many prospects we add to the 40 and I think we will see some trades and DFA’s to make such things easy. I may be wrong but I think those moves have to be set and those prospects added by that date.
Yes, but that usually only results in a few releases. There is more room for additions this year and less that need to be added so even those moves will be minor, I would think. As far as free agent signings and big trades, those usually take a few weeks to develop.

The only thing the Rangers did, even remotely aignificant, before the Rule 5 deadline last year, was to trade Allard for Odorizzi

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think the Rangers would seriously consider moving Winn and Ornelas off of the 40-man in the next few days. Maybe even JP as well.

armadillooutlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about the following for the top seven spots in the pen.

Hader
Leclerc
trade acquisition
Sborz
Moore
Heaney
Martinez
That would be pretty fantastic. That would be a potentially dominant bullpen.
I take it you are comfortable letting Monty walk and rolling with a starting rotation of Eovaldi, Dunning, Scherzer, Gray and Bradford with guys like White, Kent, Heaney and Martinez as depth?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be pretty fantastic. That would be a potentially dominant bullpen.
I take it you are comfortable letting Monty walk and rolling with a starting rotation of Eovaldi, Dunning, Scherzer, Gray and Bradford with guys like White, Kent, Heaney and Martinez as depth?
In a perfect world we would shore up the pen and sign Montgimery, but I doubt that can happen.

If we spend on the pen, I am happy with Bradford in the rotation. I felt good about Dunning and Ragans this time last year, and I feel even better about Bradford now than I did those two a year ago.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Predictions from MLB.com about who will get QO:

Definitely receiving (and declining) the offer

• CF/1B Cody Bellinger, Cubs
  • 3B Matt Chapman, Blue Jays
  • RHP Sonny Gray, Twins
  • LHP Josh Hader, Padres
  • RHP Aaron Nola, Phillies
  • RHP/DH Shohei Ohtani, Angels
  • LHP Blake Snell, Padres

Could go either way

• OF Teoscar Hernández, Mariners
  • 1B Rhys Hoskins, Phillies
  • DH J.D. Martinez, Dodgers
  • OF/DH Jorge Soler, Marlins
Eight players will receive the offer. All eight of them will decline it. It will be the first time since the winter of 2017-18 that not a single offer will be accepted.

They think Soler and the top 7 will get offers and reject them.

armadillooutlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a perfect world we would shore up the pen and sign Montgimery, but I doubt that can happen.
That's a good point, at least when it comes to upgrading the pen via free agency, which is why I'm open to making trades for pen help in a scenario where we brought back Monty.
If we spend on the pen, I am happy with Bradford in the rotation. I felt good about Dunning and Ragans this time last year, and I feel even better about Bradford now than I did those two a year ago.
Bradford has really impressed me. He actually reminds me of Dunning in a way - by mainly being a guy who generates outs via weak contact rather than being a big strikeout guy.
For me it comes down to switch method makes more sense? Monty plus a 2-3 relievers via trade, or signing 2-3 really good relievers, lose Monty, roll with Bradford, and not having to necessarily weaken the farm system as much?

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a good point, at least when it comes to upgrading the pen via free agency, which is why I'm open to making trades for pen help in a scenario where we brought back Monty.

Bradford has really impressed me. He actually reminds me of Dunning in a way - by mainly being a guy who generates outs via weak contact rather than being a big strikeout guy.
For me it comes down to switch method makes more sense? Monty plus a 2-3 relievers via trade, or signing 2-3 really good relievers, lose Monty, roll with Bradford, and not having to necessarily weaken the farm system as much?
To many farm guys don't work out. Go w/Monty and 2-3 via trade. Can't lose Monty.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is a third option as well. Sign another free agent starting pitcher along with Hader, and trade for 2 relievers.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To many farm guys don't work out. Go w/Monty and 2-3 via trade. Can't lose Monty.
It most likely will be mlb players who are traded for relievers if that happens. You might sweeten the pot with a young guy, but teams with big league relievers are going to most likely want big league players in return. Not scrub big league players either. Quality for quality.

armadillooutlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a third option as well. Sign another free agent starting pitcher along with Hader, and trade for 2 relievers.
That's true. In that scenario who would be on your radar? Thinking big like a frontline starter (Snell, for example), or more mid rotation or depth?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's true. In that scenario who would be on your radar? Thinking big like a frontline starter (Snell, for example), or more mid rotation or depth?
Lots of guys are available. The guy from Japan sounds great.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The online roster still shows 34 as they still have Austin Hedges listed. Lol. He is like that bad uncle who just won't go away.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

armadillooutlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of guys are available. The guy from Japan sounds great.
That would be awesome. He's drawing comparisons to Yu Darvish.
Signing him and Hader would be my ideal scenario now that I think about it. What about those two signings plus a splash trade for Bednar?