• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Woodson "still in play"

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The primary concerns are guys who are FAs after the 2014 season. I'd imagine they'll want to start looking into extending some of those guys, and carrying over some cap space to next year. Kap, Aldon, Anthony Davis, Iupati, Crabtree are all FAs that year. We need to start grooming potential replacements now. We don't want to get in a situation where we're desperate to add players to a certain position.

Well, Kaep & Aldon aren't going anywhere. They'll get their massive extension. Crabby? I agree. The WR position is a mess. Boldin is a rental, and Kyle Williams isn't any good. And Manningham's contract is up after this season. The only one who MIGHT have long-term starting potential is Jennings, and that's a long shot.

Davis & Iupati is a tricky one. I said in another thread Davis might be as good as gone when his deal's up, but there is the possibility that he gets re-signed and the team moves him to LT in a couple of years. Davis will be 25 (almost 26) at the beginning of the 2015 season, and Staley will be 31. Davis might have the better long-term value. However, a RT isn't exactly the harest position to fill if he does go to another team.

Iupati is a must-keep IMO.

You're right that the Niners need some talented prospects, but the cap situation will still be good long-term, IMO, if they let Crabs go & either let Davis go or trade Staley. They shouldn' try to keep all of those guys.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The primary concerns are guys who are FAs after the 2014 season. I'd imagine they'll want to start looking into extending some of those guys, and carrying over some cap space to next year. Kap, Aldon, Anthony Davis, Iupati, Crabtree are all FAs that year. We need to start grooming potential replacements now. We don't want to get in a situation where we're desperate to add players to a certain position.

yep, we'll likely want to extend Kap and if so, this alone will be a big contract. they can lessen the impact of his year 1 deal, but it'll still be a large piece of the cap from then on.

i'd add Brown to the list.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'd be totally fine with signing Woodson as a safety.
We will draft a rookie safety high in the draft.

Then starting safeties would be Whitner and Woodson, then rookie, plus 2 more for special teamers, Dahl and Spillman. Total of 5 safeties.

At CB, we have Brown, Rogers, Culliver, Asomugha, Brock and Cox. We'll keep 5. Rogers will be asked to take a hair cut if he refuses he might be gone.
There's lots of competition at CB and guys playing for their jobs and their next contract so it should be good.

Also if we sign Woodson then Woodson's $$$ + Asomugha's $$$ + Dahl's $$$ = Goldson's $$$. I'll take 3 for the price of 1 any day.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I don't see what Woodson has to offer over any safety currently on the Niners' roster except that he won't get PI calls as much easily.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crabby Is a Dallas Cowboy as soon as his contract is up....

Haha the 49ers are so far ahead of the Cowboys as a team its not even funny, #15 isnt going anywhere

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see what Woodson has to offer over any safety currently on the Niners' roster except that he won't get PI calls as much easily.

Oh, I think you're wrong about that... if he comes here and tries to play the same way he did in Green Bay he will have twice as many penalties as anyone else in the secondary. The Packer uniform gets away with penalties, not the player.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'd be totally fine with signing Woodson as a safety.
We will draft a rookie safety high in the draft.

Then starting safeties would be Whitner and Woodson, then rookie, plus 2 more for special teamers, Dahl and Spillman. Total of 5 safeties.

At CB, we have Brown, Rogers, Culliver, Asomugha, Brock and Cox. We'll keep 5. Rogers will be asked to take a hair cut if he refuses he might be gone.
There's lots of competition at CB and guys playing for their jobs and their next contract so it should be good.

Also if we sign Woodson then Woodson's $$$ + Asomugha's $$$ + Dahl's $$$ = Goldson's $$$. I'll take 3 for the price of 1 any day.

So we say goodbye Trent Robinson after one year in favor of a guy on his last legs who lacks range? I'll pass. If Robinson loses his spot because of McBath, Spillman, or a rookie, that's fine. I'm not interested in losing a young player for a vet who isn't at least above average. Right now I don't think Woodson is. And with he and Whitner back there together, we're going to be giving up some big plays.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Woodson is signed and makes the team plus a rookie then hopefully Dahl and McBath are shown the door.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would draft a rookie SS and FS and tell Woodson to piss off.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want Woodson at this point. Give me a young guy or two.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why would he leave kap for romo?

Romo's passes are easier on the hands.

But Kaep's games, I believe, are easier on the heart and brain. It would be tough to keep getting your hopes up and then heart-broken and then afterwards, feel that you had no brain because you believed in him winning because of his regular season play. He would have been happy going there if Alex were still QB, because I think before he won with Kaep, it seemed he cared for regular season stats. (I guess that's not fair, but I think the conclusion is correct that he'd prefer Romo over Smith like a lot would.)

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want Woodson at this point. Give me a young guy or two.

Woodson described himself perfectly as "ancient" this weekend. He looked really bad as Kaeprnick left him in the dust in the playoffs even though Woodson had the angle on him.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woodson described himself perfectly as "ancient" this weekend. He looked really bad as Kaeprnick left him in the dust in the playoffs even though Woodson had the angle on him.

This is my and I think most people image of Woodson. I never understood the interest in him. I would rather a rookie with upside to make mistakes then Woodson make the same because he can't run like he used to.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

To be fair not a whole lot of guys are going to be able catch up to CK when he's going full stride even with a perfect angle.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
To be fair not a whole lot of guys are going to be able catch up to CK when he's going full stride even with a perfect angle.

I saw CK in an interview and they asked him what was his best 40 time ever and he said 4.43. I believe it. He's got long strides and those long runs were pretty straight line runs.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw CK in an interview and they asked him what was his best 40 time ever and he said 4.43. I believe it. He's got long strides and those long runs were pretty straight line runs.

And once he's accelerated and got his full stride going, he's gonna be tough to catch. He's probably a little slower in the first 10-20 yards than most guys who can run 4.4-4.5 in the 40.