• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Woodson "still in play"

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers sign cornerback Asomugha - San Francisco Chronicle

It's possible that he won't be coming alone. His good friend and former Raiders and Packers safety Charles Woodson is still a free agent after visiting the 49ers last month, and the two would love to play together again.

"It's definitely still in play," the source said.

Ltrain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Are we going to pay him with Monopoly money? I don't mind bringing Woodson in but we are running out of cash.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ugh. Please, no.

I don't mind the Nnamdi pickup at all, especially given the deal. And in general I think we've handled the offseason about as we should. But with Boldin and Asomugha both relatively likely to make the team, we're getting a bit old. I suppose we lost Sopoaga, Ginn, Moss, and a couple other older players, but we're also looking at very likely cutting quite a few young players. Nature of the beast, I suppose....

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
the only way we do this is if we sign him to a non-guaranteed contract in the vet minimum range. I don't think there is any interest from other teams...the pack being the only other team i could see him ending up on. He'll be allowed the opportunity to compete but he'll have to win the starting job because i don't see him contributing much on special teams, which is what we need from backup safeties.

santiagodjs

Yahoo! Refugee / Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we going to pay him with Monopoly money? I don't mind bringing Woodson in but we are running out of cash.

:laugh3: This made my morning, thanks.

Ugh. Please, no.

I don't mind the Nnamdi pickup at all, especially given the deal. And in general I think we've handled the offseason about as we should. But with Boldin and Asomugha both relatively likely to make the team, we're getting a bit old. I suppose we lost Sopoaga, Ginn, Moss, and a couple other older players, but we're also looking at very likely cutting quite a few young players. Nature of the beast, I suppose....

100% agree. Nnamdi pickup/contract is solid. The aging defense does bother me a bit. Here is some perspective I've read from Greg Cosell via CSN Bay Area:

"Brown, who enters the final year of his contract, is coming off his best NFL season. But Brown's starting job will be challenged with the addition of Asomugha, Cosell said.

'They feel Tarell Brown can be upgraded,' Cosell said. 'I know this for a fact. Asomugha is competition.' "

So if Aso and Rodgers end up winning the starting spots, the defense is looking borderline geriatric at the corners lol. And to add Woodson to that list...

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So if Aso and Rodgers end up winning the starting spots, the defense is looking borderline geriatric at the corners lol. And to add Woodson to that list...

32 isn't exactly geriatric. And it's only for one season (with Nnamdi). And Rogers' salary is over 8 million next season, so I would be shocked if he were on the team in 2014.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
32 isn't exactly geriatric. And it's only for one season (with Nnamdi). And Rogers' salary is over 8 million next season, so I would be shocked if he were on the team in 2014.

For me, the primary issue is one of roster spots. We only have so many spots, and the more older guys we have, the fewer young guys were are grooming to step in. This could become a major concern next offseason.

bigpb72

OG Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this i funny if you guys dont see that cully starting next season..... he will start with aso rogers in the slot the run nickle most the time and thats what i see the line up looking like if woodson cant beat out duahl richardson and a rookie he should be cut after camp so i with signing him..the $ is there trust they wont put themselves in a sticky situation financially

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

lol, yeah I dont see how we could. We gotta do something just to be able to sign our draft picks. I dont see how adding another FA would make that any easier

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
this i funny if you guys dont see that cully starting next season..... he will start with aso rogers in the slot the run nickle most the time and thats what i see the line up looking like if woodson cant beat out duahl richardson and a rookie he should be cut after camp so i with signing him..the $ is there trust they wont put themselves in a sticky situation financially

Here's my problem with this sort of thinking, looking specifically at the safety position (both spots). Say we go get Woodson and go with Whitner, Woodson, Dahl, a high-ish draft pick, and MAYBE one of Spillman, Robinson, and McBath. That would be five guys at S, which is pretty high, but it's a position that helps out on STs, so you can probably justify it. Next year we lose Whitner and Woodson. Dahl pretty clearly isn't a long-term answer barring marked improvement. So suddenly we need to add two more safeties next offseason, including a starter, and it is once again a glaring need.

I would MUCH rather keep one of the younger guys and add a draft pick than take up a roster spot with a one-year fix. Not only might the younger player be better initially given Woodson's recent deterioration, but he would be a possible answer in the long run. That's what we absolutely have to start doing. We need more youth, especially on D.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Here's my problem with this sort of thinking, looking specifically at the safety position (both spots). Say we go get Woodson and go with Whitner, Woodson, Dahl, a high-ish draft pick, and MAYBE one of Spillman, Robinson, and McBath. That would be five guys at S, which is pretty high, but it's a position that helps out on STs, so you can probably justify it. Next year we lose Whitner and Woodson. Dahl pretty clearly isn't a long-term answer barring marked improvement. So suddenly we need to add two more safeties next offseason, including a starter, and it is once again a glaring need.

I would MUCH rather keep one of the younger guys and add a draft pick than take up a roster spot with a one-year fix. Not only might the younger player be better initially given Woodson's recent deterioration, but he would be a possible answer in the long run. That's what we absolutely have to start doing. We need more youth, especially on D.

Well, we're getting a serious youth infusion in about three weeks.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well, we're getting a serious youth infusion in about three weeks.

Yes, but those guys still need to make the roster. If we keep too many vets, we won't have room for them. And our PS could get seriously vultured this year.

xJuicex

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DREAM TEAM

bigpb72

OG Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but those guys still need to make the roster. If we keep too many vets, we won't have room for them. And our PS could get seriously vultured this year.

Robinson Dahl High draft pick and spilman will be on the roster next year maybe not spilman but another rookie from late this year never know....

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
For me, the primary issue is one of roster spots. We only have so many spots, and the more older guys we have, the fewer young guys were are grooming to step in. This could become a major concern next offseason.

Well, next offseason the Niners have a ton of cap space, and they'll have a class of probably 5-8 rookies from this draft class who will contribute long-term. So I'm not worried at all as long as Baalke gets good long-term value in this draft.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Robinson Dahl High draft pick and spilman will be on the roster next year maybe not spilman but another rookie from late this year never know....

They can't keep all those guys. If they get Woodson, they can't keep both Robinson and Spillman/a second draft pick this year. It's one or the other. Unless they keep six safeties, in which case they're cutting a guy at another position. I would much rather keep our young guys than add Woodson.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well, next offseason the Niners have a ton of cap space, and they'll have a class of probably 5-8 rookies from this draft class who will contribute long-term. So I'm not worried at all as long as Baalke gets good long-term value in this draft.

A ton of cap space and a bundle of very good players they will want to re-sign or extend.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
A ton of cap space and a bundle of very good players they will want to re-sign or extend.

Yes, but few starters. There's Brown & JSmith, but I can't see 'em bringing Whitner or Goodwin back. am I forgetting anyone? Crabby? Is his deal up after this season?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yes, but few starters. There's Brown & JSmith, but I can't see 'em bringing Whitner or Goodwin back. am I forgetting anyone? Crabby? Is his deal up after this season?

The primary concerns are guys who are FAs after the 2014 season. I'd imagine they'll want to start looking into extending some of those guys, and carrying over some cap space to next year. Kap, Aldon, Anthony Davis, Iupati, Crabtree are all FAs that year. We need to start grooming potential replacements now. We don't want to get in a situation where we're desperate to add players to a certain position.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

it's not nessisarily the number I'm concerned about it's the level of play, and he hasn't been all that impressive for a while. I think we couldn't get equally productivity out of a younger guy with room to grow.