• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Women in Locker-Rooms

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nine for IX -- Film summary and director for 'Let Them Wear Towels'

How far have female journalists really come?

Female reporters gain acceptance in locker rooms

This seems to be the next injustice on ESPN's soapbox, after the gay athletes, Redskins' name, etc. What do you guys think?

1. Should there be neither gender in the locker-rooms until they come out?
2. Should women be granted special access outside the locker-room?
3. Should men be allowed in the women's locker-room?
4. Should women just accept the environment of naked men walking around?
5. Should the male athletes change their changing routine when a woman is there?
6. Should teams or players be criticized for not wanting or allowing the opposite gender come in?
7. Should these teams have to assume liability for their players when there will be more temptation to do something stupid (not saying r*pe, but sexual harassment)?
8. Are their feelings irrelevant because reporters have business to do?
9. Are their more issues there than when it was a race thing? Does the fact that most are heterosexual affect that?
10. If they are ok with men walking around when they are naked, should they be ok if women are there?

This doesn't get into who can hold a microphone better or ask a question with a certain voice (women could write the questions and a male ask, for example)

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This seems to be the next injustice on ESPN's soapbox, after the gay athletes, Redskins' name, etc. What do you guys think?

5. Should the male athletes change their changing routine when a woman is there?
6. Should teams or players be criticized for not wanting or allowing the opposite gender come in?
7. Should these teams have to assume liability for their players when there will be more temptation to do something stupid (not saying r*pe, but sexual harassment)?
9. Are their more issues there than when it was a race thing? Does the fact that most are heterosexual affect that?
10. If they are ok with men walking around when they are naked, should they be ok if women are there?

This doesn't get into who can hold a microphone better or ask a question with a certain voice (women could write the questions and a male ask, for example)

1. I think the Locker Room should be for the team only.
2. Should have the same access as everyone else.
3. No
4. If they're in the locker room yes.
5. No. The locker room is for changing.
6. I can see there being a distraction but if everything is professional then yes they should.
7. Yes because the athletes are employees on company property.
8. Feelings shouldn't come into play if they're professionals. But they're only human so it will happen sometimes.
9. I don't understand
10. It's a sexual thing. Some people are uncomfortable with being naked if they think something sexual could happen. So if a guy doesn't know another guy is gay then it's not sexual and there's no uncomfortableness there. Of course some people can't be naked in front of anyone so I don't know what they do.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. I think the Locker Room should be for the team only.
2. Should have the same access as everyone else.
3. No
4. If they're in the locker room yes.
5. No. The locker room is for changing.
6. I can see there being a distraction but if everything is professional then yes they should.
7. Yes because the athletes are employees on company property.
8. Feelings shouldn't come into play if they're professionals. But they're only human so it will happen sometimes.
9. I don't understand
10. It's a sexual thing. Some people are uncomfortable with being naked if they think something sexual could happen. So if a guy doesn't know another guy is gay then it's not sexual and there's no uncomfortableness there. Of course some people can't be naked in front of anyone so I don't know what they do.

Thanks for the reply.

As to #7 - I asked because the three choices unless they are legally forced is to 1) not let women in, 2) accept further risk, or 3) let no one in. So that's what I meant by teams having to accept liability for allowing women in and their employees misbehave. I, of course, think that if they let them in, they are responsible as much as any other employer is. My question is, should teams cast aside that worry and just proceed? Should they have to let them in against their will and then accept the risk? I assume they benefit from the media so if they do, they must concede some things, but I don't know what and how much.

As to #9 - I think you answer this in #10. I was saying that when athletes said they didn't want black reporters in the locker-room, that was basically all because of race. Some would not want them in because they felt others would react, but for the most part, they were ok or not ok with their race. And they might feel that one couldn't do the job. While there most certainly are some who feel women can't report as well as men do in sports, there is another level of discomfort - sexual issues.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I don't think any member of the media should be allowed in locker rooms.

For athletes it's kind of a sacred place and it should be a place for the players to change and unwind a bit after the game.

But the media wants access to it because they know that's when the players are at their most emotional and that means they are more likely to say something newsworthy. And I think that's wrong.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
New question:

Should the media be allowed in the stalls when the players are taking a crap?

I say let 'em in only if they're using the big stall. What say you?

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
How about this compromise - only naked women reporters should be allowed in the lockeroom.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are men allowed in the female locker room?

No, equality doesn't work that way. We must only look at the women who are not a majority or equal number and scream discrimination.

I think they should be treated the same and that should be with respect, but if anyone makes a case for discrimination against the NFL based upon ratios of men to women, I'll go crazier. Men pick sports more than women do, the NFL doesn't pick nor restrict women from being reporters, and cannot help culture besides policing sexual harassment and the like. One mustn't look at quantity, for that's an issue with the independent newspapers. not the NFL. They'd have to look at quality, of which I'm sure everyone has some gripe or another about it. Either way, players are expected to just accept it and behave, not be embarrassed, etc., right or wrong.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. I don't want any damn press in the locker room. I want to reflect on the game, shower and get cleaned up before I talk to anyone after the game.

2. All press should have the same access regardless of gender. Again I don't want any of them in the locker room.

3. Probably not, but again I don't like the whole press in the locker room idea. My thought is that everyone should have the same access.

4. If they are going to be in the locker room then yes

5. No, I think they should do whatever they need to do to wind down after the game and shouldn't have to make accommodations for the media.

6. No, because I can see how it could make people uncomfortable. I also think the same about male media members though

7. Yes.

8. Meh, they are all professionals

9. I don't know exactly.

10. I am more concerned with how comfortable the athletes are.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. They've been doing the post-game locker room interviews for so long that it has almost become tradition. It is the only way to capture the emotion of the moment. Give them time to cool off and we'll get nothing but proper and practiced responses.
2. No, equality doesn't mean special treatment
3. No, and from all the grief they'd catch from their wives I doubt male writers would even want to do this.
4. Yes, if they want to be there then they have to accept it. A team shouldn't have to sit around in their sweaty and dirty uniforms until a female reporter gets her interviews and then leaves, that could take hours.
5. No, same as above. The players shouldn't be put at an inconvenience to satisfy someone who doesn't need to be there.
6. No. If some of the players are uncomfortable with it, the team should look after their employees concerns first.
7. Hmmm, tough one. If harassment occurred they probably would be liable for not providing a "safe environment". Raw deal, but just how the legal system views it.
8, Their feelings are not irrelevant. But since they are all adults, they should find a compromise.
9. Probably, but those would all be specific to the person.
10. A lot of reasons for this, shyness, religious beliefs, and so on.. being naked around other guys just is not the same thing as being naked around women.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. They've been doing the post-game locker room interviews for so long that it has almost become tradition. It is the only way to capture the emotion of the moment. Give them time to cool off and we'll get nothing but proper and practiced responses.
3. No, and from all the grief they'd catch from their wives I doubt male writers would even want to do this.
4. Yes, if they want to be there then they have to accept it. A team shouldn't have to sit around in their sweaty and dirty uniforms until a female reporter gets her interviews and then leaves, that could take hours.
5. No, same as above. The players shouldn't be put at an inconvenience to satisfy someone who doesn't need to be there.
6. No. If some of the players are uncomfortable with it, the team should look after their employees concerns first.
7. Hmmm, tough one. If harassment occurred they probably would be liable for not providing a "safe environment". Raw deal, but just how the legal system views it.
8, Their feelings are not irrelevant. But since they are all adults, they should find a compromise.
10. A lot of reasons for this, shyness, religious beliefs, and so on.. being naked around other guys just is not the same thing as being naked around women.

This is another thing that I hate about the sports media, they interview these guys right after the game when they are full of emotion and adrenaline; then when the athletes say stuff they probably would never have said under other circumstances, the media takes those comments and just runs with them.

Let me wind down and process after a game, let me get clean and dressed, then you can put your microphone in my face.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Continuing my conversation on the big stall...

Do you think just male media members should be allowed in the big stall when they take a crap or all members of the media?

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damnit. I thought this thread was going to be pictures of women in the women's locker room.

:pout:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As to #2 - I meant if only men are allowed in the locker-room, then the women would ask for access outside of the locker-room. But then, I feel they'd ask the same questions, or at least, take the same amount of time (or a bit less) and would make players have to answer twice or more questions. Then, the logical extension would be to say that everyone had to do the interviews outside of the locker-room. That will take more time because there's no overlap in time of answering questions and say putting on shoes (not serious about this example), thin out the media because everyone would become available about the same time.

And, yes, this would give players time to PC it, calm the emotions, etc., boring answers but fairer to the players. You need some privacy and no, they can't all use the stalls at the same time forever. If the did, Ninersickness' joke would come true.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thre more women want to be treated like men, the more they are gonna get treated like men. Be careful what you wish for, you feminist twits.

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the Lingerie Football League, are men allowed in the locker-room?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thre more women want to be treated like men, the more they are gonna get treated like men. Be careful what you wish for, you feminist twits.

Amen.

For the record, I have not read the articles I posted because I have no intention of reading articles from women complaining about things, but I thought women are allowed in the locker-rooms and the complaint was the fact that they are out-numbered. Some people in society look at the results and therefore assume the path to those results were unfair.

Even if they are unfair, it's likely not one institution (NFL) that can fix it. If women are treated unequally in journalism, that stems from college or prior, to newspaper work, to the NFL, to players, etc. If the resulting number of female reporters in the locker-room is low because women couldn't put up with the inequality in college, workplace, etc., that isn't the NFL's problem.

Now, if they are not allowed in the locker-room at all, then I suppose the NFL has something to do with it, and they could perhaps change that rule. Again, there are more consideration than "they want it and men have it, so they should get it."