• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wish List

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely. He looks like a HamRam-Level of player (when he was younger). That does not mean he is ready to man a starting gig on the defending Champions infield yet, though.

Also, it should not be forgotten that he is not a FA in the same sense that Tomas was a FA. He would count towards the international amateur free agent pool each team has each year. There are rather strict rules in place to limit what teams spend in this market, with high $$$ penalties for going over your allotment.

However, it is expected that teams will blow through these penalties in order to get this kid.

My sense is that the Spanks will end up getting him with the intention of having him be the heir apparent to Jeter (one-year removed).

Oh no doubt. I don't think he is MLB-ready yet. Will need at least a year.

Just in terms of "but we have Crawford and Panik". Talent-wise (if developed) they don't compare to him.

Absolutely would take time though before he is with the big club

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW Cal, thank you for reminding me.

If Giants sign Moncada and he goes to Sacramento.

It will be a 10-minute drive for me to go watch him. YES!

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on who they get for 3B. Belt is a pick-wizard and saved Sandoval from who-knows how many errors over the last few years. He also, IMHO, allows Crawford to be a bit more daring with some of his gap-throws.

I agree that Morse is AT LEAST passable at 1B, but he is no Belt.

Agreed re Belt. I also like that he is a lefty at 1B, so throws from him to 2B and 3B are quick and natural. It also allows for cleaner coverage for throws from a shifted 2B - makes for a better target and easier footwork - Belt doesn't have to spin around for those. Keeping the LH Belt at 1B is definitely a factor in my wanting Buster to move to 3B instead of 1B.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great post, and one of the reasons I love this place. I love being wrong!

However, I still would not want to enter 2015with him penciled in as one of the starting 8. He needs a year or so in Sacto.

Maybe talk to Texas about Beltre as a stop-gap?

Not as much as I love being wrong :yahoo::yahoo:

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Moncada develops into the player scouts believe he can be. He easily replaces Panik/Crawford/3B.

In all seriousness, it reminds me of what Ozzie Guillen said when we signed Juan Uribe from the White Sox:

"If you play him at second, he will be your best second baseman. If you play him at short, he will be your best shortstop. If you play him at third, he will be your best third baseman."

Last edited by a moderator:

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely. He looks like a HamRam-Level of player (when he was younger). That does not mean he is ready to man a starting gig on the defending Champions infield yet, though.

Also, it should not be forgotten that he is not a FA in the same sense that Tomas was a FA. He would count towards the international amateur free agent pool each team has each year. There are rather strict rules in place to limit what teams spend in this market, with high $$$ penalties for going over your allotment.

However, it is expected that teams will blow through these penalties in order to get this kid.

My sense is that the Spanks will end up getting him with the intention of having him be the heir apparent to Jeter (one-year removed).

Regarding the underlined. Because of his age, he is considered an amateur. The penalty is more than just money. Exceeding the international signing pool by not very much can be devastating. The max penalty is : 15% or greater in excess of Pool—100% tax on all of the Pool overage and loss of loss of 1st round picks in next two succeeding international drafts. So a team that signs him pays just 15% over budget and they lose their first round picks in the next two international drafts (and a 100% tax!).

This "he is going to get the biggest bonus ever" sounds very much like his agent trying to get any team that wants to sign him to get worried and place an insane bid to make sure they get him. Like Boras did for Zito.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Marco, correct me if I am wrong, but a "pick" in the "international draft" is just pool allocation, correct? Because, as of now, there is no international draft.

droider

Human NFL Almanac and College Football Insider
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants shouldn't want to have anything to do with Melky. He used PEDs and lied about it, which disgraced the franchise again after the Bonds saga.

Bonds continue to lies to this day about knowingly using PEDs.

Enough is enough. Giants shouldn't harbor such players anymore. They're a huge black eye

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eesh. I just checked out the list of FA 3Bs and after Headley, it goes south pretty fast.

If we don't get Headley, assuming we don't get Moncada or he won't be ready in 2015, we are better off going with an internal candidate.

One option (gulp) that I noticed is Brandon Hicks who played 10 games at 3B for Fresno. At least he has a decent glove.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eesh. I just checked out the list of FA 3Bs and after Headley, it goes south pretty fast.

If we don't get Headley, assuming we don't get Moncada or he won't be ready in 2015, we are better off going with an internal candidate.

One option (gulp) that I noticed is Brandon Hicks who played 10 games at 3B for Fresno. At least he has a decent glove.

A sleeper may be Mario Lisson who spent 2014 in Richmond AA. Played 80 games at 3B, with an .837 OPS - quite good for a pitcher's league.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free Agent Profile: Chase Headley ? MLB Trade Rumors

"Headley’s recent injury history may be perceived as a negative, though it could also be considered an explanation for his offensive struggles in the first half of the season [2014]. He received an epidural in June and avoided going on the DL for his back. After the epidural, Headley hit .273/.359/.400 in 312 plate appearances."

"Headley has never had a multiyear deal in his career, and I think he’ll value long-term security this offseason. The question is whether he signs a three or four-year deal. A few potential comparables to consider are Shane Victorino‘s three-year, $39MM deal from two years ago and Jhonny Peralta‘s four-year, $53MM deal from last offseason. I think Headley will sign a four-year, $48MM deal."

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I'd love to see that hole at 3B plugged.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good points, I think you have me convinced we can take a shot with your suggestions.

As far as Lester goes, we do have the pitcher's park to offer, to make his numbers even better. Just like Panda went to Boston IMO primarily to hit 25 HRs and .320 avg instead of 17 and .280 here.

Until Sandoval learns tthe strike zone he'll never hit .320 or hit 25 homeruns again. He had those numbers before pitchers realized you didn't have to throw him a strike in order to get him out.

Its hard to hit homeruns when you have one or both feet off the ground during a swing or when you are swinging at pitches in the dirt, over your head, a foot outside or a combination of those things. I'm thoroughly covinced pitchers learning that leason has been the main reason for Sandoval's reduced power numbers over the last 5 seasons or so.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until Sandoval learns tthe strike zone he'll never hit .320 or hit 25 homeruns again. He had those numbers before pitchers realized you didn't have to throw him a strike in order to get him out.

Its hard to hit homeruns when you have one or both feet off the ground during a swing or when you are swinging at pitches in the dirt, over your head, a foot outside or a combination of those things. I'm thoroughly covinced pitchers learning that leason has been the main reason for Sandoval's reduced power numbers over the last 5 seasons or so.

After his awful first month in 2014 he hit over .300 playing at PacBell. In Boston where fly balls to left turn into singles and doubles off the wall, he will easily hit over .300.

Now that he won't be playing so many games in SF, SD, LA, etc and instead playing in hitter's paradises like Boston, NY, Toronto, etc he will have much more power. And he hit 16 in 2014. I am completely certain that he took the same money to leave SF (not more money, the SAME) for precisely this reason...he will be a perennial all-star at third with the numbers he will be putting up.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After his awful first month in 2014 he hit over .300 playing at PacBell. In Boston where fly balls to left turn into singles and doubles off the wall, he will easily hit over .300.

Now that he won't be playing so many games in SF, SD, LA, etc and instead playing in hitter's paradises like Boston, NY, Toronto, etc he will have much more power. And he hit 16 in 2014. I am completely certain that he took the same money to leave SF (not more money, the SAME) for precisely this reason...he will be a perennial all-star at third with the numbers he will be putting up.

We'll see. I agree he can hit a lot more pop ups for doubles when he goes to left field in Boston but I don't see the home run numbers increasing much at all. As I said, its tough to hit for power with one or both feet off the ground when you make contact. The left field wall won't mean much to him as a right handed hitter though since I believe he hit under the Mendoza Line from that side of the plate last year.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll see. I agree he can hit a lot more pop ups for doubles when he goes to left field in Boston but I don't see the home run numbers increasing much at all. As I said, its tough to hit for power with one or both feet off the ground when you make contact. The left field wall won't mean much to him as a right handed hitter though since I believe he hit under the Mendoza Line from that side of the plate last year.

Again, he will be playing in hitter-friendly AL East parks not pitcher friendly NL West ones. We will indeed see.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So it makes sense to use a rookie 3B from the farm if we can't get Headley.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it makes sense to use a rookie 3B from the farm if we can't get Headley.
Arias can work short term (up to half a season maybe, IMO, until another opportunity emerges), but longer term we need a better solution to really contend.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suspect the 3B options are...

1) Headley
2) Trade

I don't think any other options exist outside of complete failure.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suspect the 3B options are...

1) Headley
2) Trade

I don't think any other options exist outside of complete failure.

3) Plug in defensive guy like say Arias and spend your shekels on a masher in left to bat cleanup.
4) Work on 2016