• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wish List

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Melky is about as close to the perfect fit for us as it gets... except for his prior history here and his qualifying offer. A solid bat that won't break the bank, plays good enough D for LF, durable. The Giants hold their draft picks dear though [now], and that's also why I see us going after Lester more than any of the other top arms. If we lose out on Lester, we'll probably go after lower tier arms like Masterson.

My wishlist: Lester, trade for Michael Saunders, Chase Headley

If no Lester: Melky, Headley, McCarthy

I still think it would be a good idea to bring back Vogey, and just stick Timmeh and Petit and the Pen. Huddy and Vogey would both be best served taking a break now and then, and there is no guarantee with Cain.

Also, in both of these cases, I expect the Giants to be very competitive Yoan Mancada and hopefully land him.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would it take to pry Cole Hamels away from the Philth?

He turns 31 in December.

He's owed $22.5 per year for the next for four years, plus a club option for year 5.

He would be a great fit in our ballpark.

If we cannot get in on the Lester/Scherzer signings, perhaps working out a trade for Hamels might be the thing.

I saw a rumor that he might be headed for the Dodgers. That rotation with Kershaw/Grienke/Hamels/Ryu/?????? would be pretty scary.

The only question would be, what would it take in return? If the Philth are after salary relief, perhaps some AA prospects would do it. If they want MLB ready, we have Susser, Duffy, Panik as players. Our pitching has a ton of reliever prospects, but pretty low on starter material.

Just a thought. I am sure the PTB's are looking at everything at the moment.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wish list starts with Katherine Heigl, but also includes Minka Kelly, Rachel Bilson, Charlize Theron, Olivia Wilde, and Mila Kunis.

Oh, you meant for the TEAM! Uh, I'd have to think about that ...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wish list starts with Katherine Heigl, but also includes Minka Kelly, Rachel Bilson, Charlize Theron, Olivia Wilde, and Mila Kunis.

Oh, you meant for the TEAM! Uh, I'd have to think about that ...

????

You best invest in an ice pick for your ears and a vice for your jewels.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really, dude? Really?

Oh man if you STILL don't know what you did....you're gonna need a TEAM of psychiatrists.

:tsk:

Dude, I freely admitted at the end of the season, and again now: I WAS WRONG.

Doesn't mean I can't bust YOUR bawls....

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff Perlman reported this morning, SF finished runner up for Tomas.

This is the third time this has happened (Abreu, Castillo and now Tomas)

Just overpay Moncada. Get him here

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff Perlman reported this morning, SF finished runner up for Tomas.

This is the third time this has happened (Abreu, Castillo and now Tomas)

Just overpay Moncada. Get him here

I agree. Nothing is certain here, but Moncada seems like the right guy with whom to roll the dice. If we are going to contend, we need to take some risk. At this point, I would take us getting:

Moncada
Markakis or Melky
re-signing Vogey
re-signing Romo
possibly re-signing Peavy

I would feel like at least we plugged the holes, treaded water talent wise, didn't bust the budget, and gave us some options. Not the best of possible off-seasons, but at least we would be solid contenders once again.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another option that has not been discussed much recently that I'd be willing to entertain is to sign Morse and have him play first, and move Belt to LF. It's well down my list of favorites, but it's plausible ONLY if Belt can play a passable LF. He HAS to be better than Morse there, at least. I thought Morse was decent at 1B. I would consider this if we couldn't get Melky or Markakis.

Just brainstorming.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another option that has not been discussed much recently that I'd be willing to entertain is to sign Morse and have him play first, and move Belt to LF. It's well down my list of favorites, but it's plausible ONLY if Belt can play a passable LF. He HAS to be better than Morse there, at least. I thought Morse was decent at 1B. I would consider this if we couldn't get Melky or Markakis.

Just brainstorming.

Depends on who they get for 3B. Belt is a pick-wizard and saved Sandoval from who-knows how many errors over the last few years. He also, IMHO, allows Crawford to be a bit more daring with some of his gap-throws.

I agree that Morse is AT LEAST passable at 1B, but he is no Belt.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Nothing is certain here, but Moncada seems like the right guy with whom to roll the dice. If we are going to contend, we need to take some risk. At this point, I would take us getting:

Moncada
Markakis or Melky
re-signing Vogey
re-signing Romo
possibly re-signing Peavy

I would feel like at least we plugged the holes, treaded water talent wise, didn't bust the budget, and gave us some options. Not the best of possible off-seasons, but at least we would be solid contenders once again.

From everything I have read, Moncada is at least a year away, and he is not a 3B.

Not sure I would be at all happy with the off-season if that is the haul we end up with.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From everything I have read, Moncada is at least a year away, and he is not a 3B.

Not sure I would be at all happy with the off-season if that is the haul we end up with.

Yoan Moncada Expected To Receive Record Bonus For Amateur Player ? MLB Trade Rumors

"MLB.com’s Jonathan Mayo spoke to multiple scouts who were on-hand, with one scout giving Moncada a 60 hit-tool, 60 power, 70 speed, a 60 arm and a 50 in terms of fielding (on the 20-80 scouting scale). A scouting director told Mayo that Moncada is “worth going way over your international spending pool,” adding that the game is ultimately about talent, and Moncada “is the kind of talent worth the investment.” Another touted his five-tool potential and said he was in great shape. Mayo hears that Moncada looked better at third and second than shortstop, though he has the arm to play any infield position. The Yankees, Red Sox, Braves and Cubs all had four or more scouts in attendance, per Mayo."

Meet Yoan Moncada, The Next Cuban Baseball Star - BaseballAmerica.com

"Moncada generated excitement in the scouting community in October 2010 at the COPABE Pan American 16U Championships in Mexico, then again in August 2011 when he dominated the 16U World Championship in Mexico, where he earned all-star honors at third base by hitting .417/.563/.667 in seven games."

But to your point...

This past season in Cuba, Moncada hit .273/.365/.406 in 195 plate appearances as an 18-year-old, spending most of his time at second base with occasional stints at shortstop and center field.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

From what I've read, he is a versatile fielder with a great bat and great speed. He could play 3B, but his bat would dictate that he play somewhere. If he can hit MLB pitching, we would find a place for him.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yoan Moncada Expected To Receive Record Bonus For Amateur Player ? MLB Trade Rumors

"MLB.com’s Jonathan Mayo spoke to multiple scouts who were on-hand, with one scout giving Moncada a 60 hit-tool, 60 power, 70 speed, a 60 arm and a 50 in terms of fielding (on the 20-80 scouting scale). A scouting director told Mayo that Moncada is “worth going way over your international spending pool,” adding that the game is ultimately about talent, and Moncada “is the kind of talent worth the investment.” Another touted his five-tool potential and said he was in great shape. Mayo hears that Moncada looked better at third and second than shortstop, though he has the arm to play any infield position. The Yankees, Red Sox, Braves and Cubs all had four or more scouts in attendance, per Mayo."

Meet Yoan Moncada, The Next Cuban Baseball Star - BaseballAmerica.com

"Moncada generated excitement in the scouting community in October 2010 at the COPABE Pan American 16U Championships in Mexico, then again in August 2011 when he dominated the 16U World Championship in Mexico, where he earned all-star honors at third base by hitting .417/.563/.667 in seven games."

But to your point...

This past season in Cuba, Moncada hit .273/.365/.406 in 195 plate appearances as an 18-year-old, spending most of his time at second base with occasional stints at shortstop and center field.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

From what I've read, he is a versatile fielder with a great bat and great speed. He could play 3B, but his bat would dictate that he play somewhere. If he can hit MLB pitching, we would find a place for him.

Great post, and one of the reasons I love this place. I love being wrong!

However, I still would not want to enter 2015with him penciled in as one of the starting 8. He needs a year or so in Sacto.

Maybe talk to Texas about Beltre as a stop-gap?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Moncada develops into the player scouts believe he can be. He easily replaces Panik/Crawford/3B.

Definitely. He looks like a HamRam-Level of player (when he was younger). That does not mean he is ready to man a starting gig on the defending Champions infield yet, though.

Also, it should not be forgotten that he is not a FA in the same sense that Tomas was a FA. He would count towards the international amateur free agent pool each team has each year. There are rather strict rules in place to limit what teams spend in this market, with high $$$ penalties for going over your allotment.

However, it is expected that teams will blow through these penalties in order to get this kid.

My sense is that the Spanks will end up getting him with the intention of having him be the heir apparent to Jeter (one-year removed).

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great post, and one of the reasons I love this place. I love being wrong!

However, I still would not want to enter 2015with him penciled in as one of the starting 8. He needs a year or so in Sacto.

Maybe talk to Texas about Beltre as a stop-gap?

You are likely correct there. However, the gamble here might be to hope he is MLB-ready by the ASB, and we could manage with Arias, et al, until then.

He seems to be such a great prospect that we should grab him regardless of when he is ready, IMHO.

TKellion

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My wish list would be Moncada,Melky and a decent pitcher or 2 for the rotation.Shoot what do they have to lose?It is an odd numbered year :lol:

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going with the two person infield? Interesting. Kid must have crazy range.

Well, since he replaces 3B, he only has 2B to cover. So yeah, maybe.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3