• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Wisconsin v South Carolina Cap One Bowl

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Stave getting hurt sucked and robbed us all of a great finish...

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Stave getting hurt sucked and robbed us all of a great finish...

Wisconsin was all over SC till Stave went out. Too bad he took that hit. And he still made it a few more plays. The guy is tuff.

I don't think you can say to much bad about the badgers. They were executing their game plan...but lost their best player. Shit happens.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that Wisconsin could have won that game had Stave not gone down. Shaw was the difference in that game by far. Neither Georgia or LSU had their NR1 quarterback playing and it showed. Another thread Shaw was mentioned as one of the most under rated players and I believe that. He showed today he was the best passer and best runner on the field. Wisconsin played hard today and even though they lost, they clearly played better than LSU, Georgia, Nebraska, and Iowa. They just played a better team.

pumpkinhead33793

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisconsin was doing just fine with Stave at QB. He went down and the game was pretty much in the bag for South Carolina given the lack of depth at QB right now. Stave's injury and bad DB play cost UW the game, period.

Once Stave went down all SC had to do was not fuck up in the 4th quarter and they had it. Even with several big mistakes, they still had it due to a terrible backup QB.

Forget it. You all are in denial if you think Stave can win you a NC.

Doctor Krieger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, another loss because of the shitty DB and QB play....color me shocked....

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisconsin was all over SC till Stave went out. Too bad he took that hit. And he still made it a few more plays. The guy is tuff.

I don't think you can say to much bad about the badgers. They were executing their game plan...but lost their best player. Shit happens.

Stave is definitely not Wisconsin's best player, but losing your starting QB in a bowl game is tough to recover from... let alone mount a comeback. Phillips got very few reps this season.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stave is definitely not Wisconsin's best player, but losing your starting QB in a bowl game is tough to recover from... let alone mount a comeback. Phillips got very few reps this season.

He's not Russell Wilson, but Stave managed the game well enough to win: 9 for 13, 80 yards, two TD's, and the interception was a bad bounce off a lineman's leg. I didn't see much of Curt Phillip's snaps, but surely the offense plays differently when your backup's in there?

Plus, Wisconsin DID get jobbed on that holding call, on their drive right after Shaw's fumble. That might have ended up as TD drive, instead of a missed FG, and who knows how Carolina would have responded after that?

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's true. They had a few bad breaks. Still, shitty DB play has been a problem for a while at Wisconsin. Our last really good DB was Jim Leonhard.

Maybe we need to start recruiting the type of player MSU does on defense, but they'd probably have academic problems at Wisconsin.

Last edited by a moderator:

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, another loss because of the shitty DB and QB play....color me shocked....

Both teams were well-prepped. The crucial mismatches were Wisky's O-line against our front 6.5, USC's receivers against the badger db's. We got more points out of ours. Ellington and Roland were great today, Connor was very accurate. SOS did a good job of play-calling today, especially when it counted.

Jonny Valtimore

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not Russell Wilson, but Stave managed the game well enough to win: 9 for 13, 80 yards, two TD's, and the interception was a bad bounce off a lineman's leg. I didn't see much of Curt Phillip's snaps, but surely the offense plays differently when your backup's in there?

Plus, Wisconsin DID get jobbed on that holding call, on their drive right after Shaw's fumble. That might have ended up as TD drive, instead of a missed FG, and who knows how Carolina would have responded after that?

To put it gently, Phillips is a nice story as a 6th year senior who had to overcome 3 ACL surgeries, but I don't know that he'd even start for Wisconsin-Whitewater. The fact that none of the other QBs on our roster were able to overtake him really highlights a weakness in the Bielema recruiting days. Andersen is already pulling better recruits than Bielema ever did.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I say, it's not a CFB season unless Georgia and Wisconsin are overrated.

Doctor Krieger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Meh, losing bowls to 4 top 10 teams in 4 years (and 3 top 5) doesn't = overrated imo....pretty funny coming from a UT fanboy and/or troll though.

Hopefully we don't play a New Year's Day bowl next year though, I'm sick of losing.

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because when #19 loses a competitive game to #9, it means that they were overrated at #19, right?

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Because when #19 loses a competitive game to #9, it means that they were overrated at #19, right?

First quote is just plain wrong.

2nd quote is the appropriate answer.

IMO, good thing for Texas they did not play either team because that beat down would have been ugly. Seems to me the beat down Texas received WAS downright ugly.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, good thing for Texas they did not play either team because that beat down would have been ugly. Seems to me the beat down Texas received WAS downright ugly.

Exactly like when BCS team, Oklahoma, beat us down earlier in the year, right?

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Makes perfect sense!

If anything, Wisconsin was UNDER rated at 19. These teams are virtually interchangeable in the standings. Carolina has some good wins this season, but also one horrible loss at UT and a beatdown at Georgia. They're in the top ten because everyone else kept losing.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly like when BCS team, Oklahoma, beat us down earlier in the year, right?

Hey man, almost EVERY team has its great wins and its bad losses. Tex is not immune to that, either.

You know who doesn't have a bad loss this year? Florida State. ONE team. Everybody else? shit the bed somewhere along the way, and often against perceivably inferior opponents.

You won the head to head over Oklahoma, and it was pretty convincing, I'll concur, but overall the Sooners simply have been a better team this year.

This happens in the big rivalry games, doesn't it?

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes perfect sense!

If anything, Wisconsin was UNDER rated at 19. These teams are virtually interchangeable in the standings. Carolina has some good wins this season, but also one horrible loss at UT and a beatdown at Georgia. They're in the top ten because everyone else kept losing.
Well Georgia with Aaron Murray was a pretty good team. Losing to UT is embarrassing, but then Wisconsin shit the bed at home on senior day against Penn State which is pretty much the same thing.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Georgia with Aaron Murray was a pretty good team. Losing to UT is embarrassing, but then Wisconsin shit the bed at home on senior day against Penn State which is pretty much the same thing.

Yep. EVERYone has their shit the bed games.

But I can't complain. The last three years we've won more games than we did for entire DECADES of our history. There's going to be a big dropoff next year without Connor Shaw, so we've probably seen the greatest stretch in our history come to an abrupt end.

Jim Rome is Flaming

Check that, Chris Everett
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because it is predictable and you exhaust all your offensive energy in the trenches by the end of the game. Then when a good defense and or a team with good coaching NEEDS to stop you, they almost will. This was evident today and turned the momentum around again. Finally, teams that rely almost solely on rushing don't have the cookies to perform a 2 minute drill when they need it late in games vs good teams.

Wisconsin had 24 carries for 157 yards (6.5 YPC) in the 1st half.
Wisconsin had 19 carries for 136 yards (7.2 YPC) in the 2nd half.
Yeah, they sure exhausted all of their offensive energy.

I can't tell if you're trolling or just stupid.