• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Winning Time - HBO show

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I loved how they are portraying Bird. Actor they got for him looks quite a bit like him too. That scene where he's doubled and he tells the Lakers they can't stop him anyway and tells them exactly what he's gonna do isn't fiction. Bird would do that shit all the time. Tell you right to your face what he plans to do because you ain't stopping him anyway.

I saw a show a couple of years ago where they had some of the Showtime Lakers talking about the team and some of the games etc. Byron Scott tells that story and after he's done just shakes his head and says..."He told us the play". lol

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some couple choices are less effective. The guy playing Jack Nicholson isn't very convincing, and the use of known actors to play guys like Richard Pryor (Mike Epps) and Elgin Baylor (Orlando Jones) aren't great either.

Fair but they have really minor roles so it doesn't matter all that much. Although I do think Mike Epps NAILED Pryor's voice.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like the cat who's got Pat Riley's role...

I am really enjoying all of their performances. I know that the show has got a lot of stick for it's portrayal of Jerry West but I think Jason Clarke has been GREAT in the role, even if it is over the top. I think it's done a great job making West go from a maniacal tyrant to sympathetic character and Clarke is a big reason why.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am really enjoying all of their performances. I know that the show has got a lot of stick for it's portrayal of Jerry West but I think Jason Clarke has been GREAT in the role, even if it is over the top. I think it's done a great job making West go from a maniacal tyrant to sympathetic character and Clarke is a big reason why.
West has gone a little overboard chasing coaching candidates and he's not a GM yet lol.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With work and the playoffs, hard to find time for shows

It's definitely worth finding an hour a week to watch.

It's not a documentary, so there is a fair amount that is being "dramatized" because of that. But as far as telling the story, it's pretty accurate based on what I remember and have read about.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With work and the playoffs, hard to find time for shows
You have the HBO max app? Set it aside for the summer. It will be a good binge when you’re missing hoops. It’s not like the greatest art I’ve ever seen or anything but it’s fun as shit especially for Gen X basketball heads who love the NBA. It’s kind of like the origin story for the modern NBA. I hate the Lakers but I still find myself loving this. And my wife is enjoying it too.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have the HBO max app? Set it aside for the summer. It will be a good binge when you’re missing hoops. It’s not like the greatest art I’ve ever seen or anything but it’s fun as shit especially for Gen X basketball heads who love the NBA. It’s kind of like the origin story for the modern NBA. I hate the Lakers but I still find myself loving this. And my wife is enjoying it too.

Yep thinking about saving it for the conference finals when there's only 1 game per night so easier to find time compared to when we have 3-4 games a night

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How good is this show?

Good if you're just a TV fan, great if you're a big NBA fan that also loves good TV (so basically everyone here fits in the latter). There's a lot of interesting nuggets, winks, and details NBA fans will get that a common person just watching the show won't pick up on.

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Old farts like me that can recall some of the plot, makes it more enjoyable. I know this is dramatized but it’s certainly in my wheelhouse.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has it already been discussed here that apparently Will Ferrell is no longer speaking to his longtime partner Adam McKay because McKay cast Reilly instead of Ferrell as Buss? Sorry Will, I love you, but you would not be the right cast. I guess Ferrell is just an insanely massive Lakers fan or something.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has it already been discussed here that apparently Will Ferrell is no longer speaking to his longtime partner Adam McKay because McKay cast Reilly instead of Ferrell as Buss? Sorry Will, I love you, but you would not be the right cast. I guess Ferrell is just an insanely massive Lakers fan or something.
John C Reilly is perfect for the role.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

John C Reilly is perfect for the role.

Yeah, when I first heard that Ferrell wanted it, I thought he would be great. Dr. Buss was a big personality, so that seemed right for him. But now that I've seen Reilly...I can't picture anyone else in that role.

I think Ferrell would have gone too far with it and it would have come off as cartoonish.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Old farts like me that can recall some of the plot, makes it more enjoyable. I know this is dramatized but it’s certainly in my wheelhouse.
I could do without the softcore **** Magic scenes, not really needed for the narrative lol.